Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A media player to listen to the sound fonts before installing them?  (Read 4508 times)
solkap
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »

I hope this isn't off topic.  I just received my first Ultrasaber yesterday. And I'd like to play around with the sound.

But I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to listen to the .lsu sound files before running them through the Obsidian desktop software. I want to do this because I could preview all the fonts I download much faster that way and not risk messing up established sound settings on the saber until I'm ready.

But none of my go to media players (VLC, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, RealPlayer, iTunes, Quicktime, etc) seem to be able to read the .lsu format. And the only way I've been able to preview them is to load them into the saber software, and then not save the changes.

I'm using a PC running Windows 10. Any ideas on a work around or new program I could use without converting the files?  Or if not, would would be that easiest and/or fastest way to make converted copies that would play on basic players strictly for preview's sake?

Thanks,
Solkap

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »

I just use the Obsidian launcher without my saber plugged in.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

solkap
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:33:54 PM »

Hi BurceChuat,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, that is an option, but it's a fairly clunky one for what I want to do.

I'm wanting to make playlists of sorts, so I can compare between a large number of different fonts onscreen all at once.

The Obsidian launcher only lets you see a small handful at any one time.

So does anyone know of a player that can play lsu files in large playlists?

Or a way of batch converting lsu to wav, mp3, wma, ogg, or some other more preview-able format, strictly for comparison purposes?

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:40:21 PM »

I have heard that Audacity reads LSU files...not tried it for myself, though.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »

I've just tried VLC Media Player, it plays LSU playlists pretty well.

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

solkap
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 01:14:57 AM »

Hi Darth Justicar,

Thanks, I haven't tried Audacity. I will when I get a chance.

But to BurceChuat, that's weird.

I haven't been able to get VLC to play them.  Which, incidentally, I thought was weird in and of itself ... because VLC plays everything.

Tomorrow I'll give VLC another go, try Audacity next if it still doesn't work, and then I'll be back to let you know what I find.

Much obliged!

solkap
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:07:29 AM »

OK,

I did find that Audacity will play the sounds ... but as far as I can tell, the program is designed more as a media editor than a player.

So that would at least solve the problem of potentially unintended changes to the saber sound board.  But I can still only bring up a few at a time, and the interface seems much more geared towards adjusting small numbers of sound files rather that playing large ones.

As for VLC, there must be something I'm missing.  It does detect the files, and can even put them in a playlist.  But then it doesn't produce any sound when playing the files, despite the slider moving as if the files were playing.  The sound isn't muted on either the computer or the VLC media player. As it said before, it still played everything else I used to test it just fine.

Do I need an extra add-on or something for lsu files to work?  Might it be some issue coming from the files being (understandably) mono instead of stereo? I'm very puzzled.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:15:20 AM »

Have you updated it recently? I updated mine yesterday before I tested the files. I tested them today using Play -> open media -> *21 sound files I made* and it worked perfectly.

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

solkap
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:57:20 PM »

Yep its updated.  But still being wonky about the lsu's.  Also, now that I take a closer look, VLC only seems to recognize some of them.  And even with those the times are wonky.  None of them should be more than a few seconds, as even the idle hum plays as a loop, right?

Also, does anybody with any ideas on batch converting?  I figured out how to do it one file at a time in Audacity, but there are hundreds of sound files.

Here's a screenshot of of the player with the default obsidian files loaded as a playlist. Anything pop out at you that I might be missing?

Thanks all!

Draq
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:23 AM »

Well, this is about a year late, but...

If anyone' still wanting to batch convert LSU to WAV, I found this when searching for something to do just that a few days ago.

https://github.com/leethomason/LSUtoWAV

You just stick it in the folder your LSU files are in and run it. It doesn't touch the LSU files, so they'll be safe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: