Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Introducing the “RenExar” and other Renegade LE MHS uses  (Read 15430 times)
JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« on: July 09, 2016, 05:25:44 AM »

This has been some time in the planning and I’m excited to share this now, even though I’m not fully finished yet, lol . . .

My second entry in the First Spring Raffle 2016 was the Renegade LE, with Obsidian v4 and all LED’s in CG . . .

The Renegade is a massive hilt, and lots of fun, but I always intended to dismantle this and see what I could make of the parts . . . I’ve got to give a shout out to shade_1313 (http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27607.msg408521#msg408521) for inspiring me to look deeper at the sum of the parts, and my oldest son for leading an idea with a previous project that I wired up for him . . . thank you  Smiley

First up . . . Dismantle . . . here’s the parts that make up the Renegade (the only piece not shown is an additional part inside the Cross Guard setup required to align the hilt properly) . . .

For this and all these MHS mash-ups I have in mind, I’ll refer to these parts that you can see in the pic ;
Main Blade Emitter
Main Blade Extension
Side Blade Emitter
Side Blade Extension
Cross Guard Section
Hilt Body
Pommel

Just a note, the Main Blade Emitter is slightly longer than the Side Blade Emitters . . . which works well for what I have in mind, although they could be swapped around . . .

Before I continue, a little bit of backstory . . . Mid last year my son had an idea and purchased some hilt parts from TCSS, and some electronics from US, and asked me to wire them up for him . . . Others have built sabers like this, it’s not a new idea, essentially its a dual LED hilt with a main blade and a short blade (or blade plug) at the pommel end . . . We’ve used 2x US DVA LED modules and Obsidian v4 sound thats mounted mid hilt, and drilled some sound holes in the short pommel blade / blade plug to vent the sound . . . It’s a LOT of fun, and after playing with this, especially with a blade plug in the pommel end, my ideas came up using Renegade parts for something similar . . . here’s a pic of my son’s “Darklight". . .

Also . . . I’d experimented using a Dark Sentinel stunt, adding an LED module to the pommel end, using a standard vented pommel (the sound hole is the same 1" as US emitters), tapping a retention screw and putting a blade plug / short blade in . . . these are lots of fun for spinning especially, as the extra light from the pommel looks really cool . . .  Cool

Ok, moving on . . . The Renegade LE parts I'm using for this double LED saber are (from top to bottom) ; the Main Emitter > Side Blade Extension > Main Blade Extension > Hilt Body > and Side Blade Emitter (at what would be the pommel end) . . .

Put together, looks something like this . . .

With a blade in the top and blade plug in the bottom it's very well balanced, and I absolutely love how awesome it looks, I intend to mostly keep it setup like that . . . I really hope I can find the time to wire this up soon, both LEDs CG, the light shining thru these emitters will look stunning . . . First, I'll set it up as a stunt, and then later with sound (I have been working on this, and just have a few issues to sort out, but I can make it work using Obsidian v4 Smiley) . . .

And . . . because it will have LEDs and emitters at both ends it will take blades, and could take a short blade at the pommel end, or even a pair of 24" blades for a short hilt staff (ala’ Exar Kun), with only one switch . . . Once this is wired, I'll share pics with all those options . . .

Introducing the "RenExar"

This hilt measures 15.35" long . . . Here's a pic next to a Dark Sentinel LE with a Catalyst pommel as a comparison . . .

Another, shorter version, without the Main Blade Extension would look like this, but I like the slightly longer version more . . . (next to the Sentinel for comparison)

I’ll add some more pics of other MHS swap outs using the Renegade parts some time soon, but for now here’s a couple of sneak peeks of a couple ideas . . . cheers  Smiley

Using a Dark War Glaive body . . . a “ReneGlaive” perhaps ?

Using a Dark Catalyst body . . . a "ReneCat" or “ReneLyst” perhaps ?

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:39:58 AM »

[Pretending I didn't already see this.  Wink  Tongue ]

Looks awesome!  Can't wait to see the version with Sound!

Actually, I didn't see the shoto ideas and that's awesome.  Really great ideas here.  Looking forward to seeing how you do the Sound on it.  I'd love to do a similar thing someday . . .

Those Emitters are fantastic . . . aarrgghh I had settled on the Flamberge but now you are making me want a Renegade!

+1

I might call that Exar Ren though instead of RenExar.  Wink

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Eques Discipulus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 29

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:20:11 AM »

That is strikingly beautiful!  This is why I've been avoiding the customization section of late.  It gives me too many ideas that I don't have the time and money to be thinking about.  But many thanks for showing it off.  Can't wait to see future updates.  Points are a given.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »

Wow JediXIX!

That looks AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!

I really like the "longer" version. 

Cool that you're able to install V4 sound too.  I wouldn't have the marbles to even attempt something like that.

Your son's Darklight looks wicked as well. Smiley

Oh hey, I can give you another point now.  Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Seanjohn37683
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »

Not gonna lie. I wanna see someone try with it

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

That looks really sweet.  I look forward to seeing it wired up.  Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »

Uh Huh... who's the clever man.  Shocked   Hit a home run here Jed.  Cool  Love all the versions, the Sentinel and your son's.  You sure have quite the saber choice for swap outs.   +1 and thanks for sharing.   Cheesy 

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:54:18 PM »

JXIX, thanks for the shout out, and just in case you miss it, I sent you an IM with an important question that your pics bring up.  Kind of critical to Project:  Hauke, actually.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »

Jed this is insanely high levels of awesomeness in one concentrated post!! I'm gonna be looking at this for ages lol!  So amazing.  Love the double bladed- those emitters are so gorgeous.  And the single blade sabers and or shotos are sweet too.  Can't wait to see it brought to life Smiley.  man, between you and Calculon I'm wanting a crossguard for mhs purposes SO bad lol!! Wicked idea, point incoming.

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »

Really,, Really like the looks of this. very Clever...   (  ' CLAPS '  ) Pt heading your way

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »

Really,, Really like the looks of this. very Clever...   (  ' CLAPS '  ) Pt heading your way.. now waiting to see it fired up......

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 10:18:39 PM »

470th point for quoting yourself Bulvoy...lol

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 11:33:31 PM »

Wow, that's insanely positive! Smiley
You know how to shuffle the deck to get some good card in hand!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 03:25:09 AM »

Thank you so much for this post. Always wondered how the Renegade came apart. Wondered anout making it into a single blade saber. Now that I see all the parts and how they go together it seems like an easy reality, with a lot of fun parts left over for other mods. Just need to get over the fear of doing the wiring. The electronics gods and I have had disagreements in the past. Thanks again for posting this.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Gamble
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -254

Evil Only Has One Face

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 04:03:22 AM »

That's looks insane crazy what you can do with these sabers great job

Guardian CE W/Obsidian V4 - Guardian Blue
Prophecy V3 W/Obsidian Lite - Arctic Blue
Consular W/Obsidian V4 - Consular Green
Sentinel V4 W/Windows Stunt - Fire Orange

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print