Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: New Halo Costume: Veronica Dare Halo 3 ODST  (Read 20238 times)
MONEYPYRO
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -64

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:57:03 PM »

Actually that's just the foam colour Wink convenient really, when the edges wear down to foam it blends in with the weathering job I do. She will be painted the gun metal and silver of the game, not the blue of the McFarlane toy Smiley

You could try doing VISR mode colors Tongue Black with a green trim, kind of like one of the Rookie figures was

"Who I am is not important, my message is."
―Revan

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force."
―Kreia

The Dark Side flows through me, and my alignment should reflect that. Dark Side points would be most impressive

My Sabers:

Dark Prophecy v3: Blazing Red
Sentinel v4 LE: Guardian Blue
Aeon v3: Consular Green
Dominix v3: Violet Amethyst
Dark Apprentice v4: Guardian Blue
Sentinel V4: Adegan Silver

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:54:08 AM »

You could try doing VISR mode colors Tongue Black with a green trim, kind of like one of the Rookie figures was

Heh. Because I am aiming to get Tier Three approval as a face character in the 405th with this costume it has to be very screen accurate. No custom anything in this case Smiley which for me is a first, I like customising my outfits with my own little flair. Dare is a rare enough costume however that it still satisfies my desire to do something a little different, plus I am enjoying the challenge that is trying to build to screen accuracy.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

MONEYPYRO
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -64

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 01:59:56 AM »

Heh. Because I am aiming to get Tier Three approval as a face character in the 405th with this costume it has to be very screen accurate. No custom anything in this case Smiley which for me is a first, I like customising my outfits with my own little flair. Dare is a rare enough costume however that it still satisfies my desire to do something a little different, plus I am enjoying the challenge that is trying to build to screen accuracy.

Ahhhhhhhh, I get it. So pretty much like the Halo version of the 501st then Tongue

"Who I am is not important, my message is."
―Revan

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force."
―Kreia

The Dark Side flows through me, and my alignment should reflect that. Dark Side points would be most impressive

My Sabers:

Dark Prophecy v3: Blazing Red
Sentinel v4 LE: Guardian Blue
Aeon v3: Consular Green
Dominix v3: Violet Amethyst
Dark Apprentice v4: Guardian Blue
Sentinel V4: Adegan Silver

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 02:08:54 AM »

Out of curiosity, which foam do you think is best for costume making? And are there other methods you've found helpful for pattern making besides pepakura?

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »

Ahhhhhhhh, I get it. So pretty much like the Halo version of the 501st then Tongue

Kind of. 405th forum has been undergoing a lot of administrative changes and have been working towards getting an official club, like the legions. We now have charters, costume guidelines etc as well as event/ behaviour guidelines. There's been some upsetting of the apple cart in the process, though personally I don't find any of it problematic- it is all based on common sense. While the club side is Halo outfits only, the forum continues to be for other universes as well Smiley It has more lenient costume standards than the Legions. They don't have the Legion's status and image to uphold, and I think it also boils down to the culture in the Halo costuming world. In real basic there's three tiers of costume standards (and don't quote me on this! If you are interested further, go find the standards on the 405th forum)- Tier 1- yay you have a costume thats recognisable as being from the Halo universe! Tier 2- you've got a pretty good costume, but its not screen accurate. Tier 3- screen accurate costume. Face characters have to fulfill this Tier, basically you have to look like you've stepped straight out of the game/ movie/ graphic novel.

Out of curiosity, which foam do you think is best for costume making? And are there other methods you've found helpful for pattern making besides pepakura?

Firstly: foam is a personal preference. You need something that is pretty dense and is EVA foam. I like using this stuff:

its usually sold as an EVA anti-fatigue floor mat with a checkerplate sealed top pattern and can be bought at hardware stores etc. This one is about 7mm thick. All my grey foam is this.

A lot of my costuming friends- including my husband- prefer the foam interlocking floor mats like these:

These can be bought in a lot of places- hardware stores, outdoors stores, office supplies stores, department stores... and so on and so forth. They come in lots of colours and can come in solid or holed mats (so don't accidentally buy the holed ones Tongue ) and are usually thicker anywhere from 9 to 12mm- which is why I prefer the thinner stuff. It is also less 'stretchy' than the matting I prefer, and is more dense and more sealed than the foam matting I use. I find the stretchiness can be handy with the foam I use. Though in saying all that, the interlocking mat foam sands better than the floor matting foam so I far prefer it for prop and weapon building.

Some people also buy sheets of EVA foam from foam supply places- I dunno what it is like is the USA or Britain but I looked into it and here it is stupid expensive. I also use craft foam in 2mm, 3mm and 6mm thickness to build up my details- which is all the black foam you see on my work.

A few extra notes: get grey or black foam for armour building (and weapons if you can) if such things will be painted silver or dark colours. Then when use eventually wears through the paint- which it will- it can blend in with your weathering and just look like some more weathering Tongue

As far as glue goes- some people use hot glue (my preference), some people use contact adhesive (hubby likes this and when sticking two flat surfaces together it is very useful), some people use superglue- a friend who is building a Voltron atm (my god that thing looks awesome!) is using super glue. A very large part of the reason I like hot glue is that I can use it indoors and while there is a risk of burns (I have managed a very good and painful blister since my hot glue gun is very high temp), I don't have to worry about smelly chemicals coming off the glue. Hot glue also contains some of the components that is in EVA foam so as long as it is hot enough when you apply it and you get a good contact, you will actually tear the foam before you tear the glue off the foam. The extra advantage is that you can use hot glue from behind to reinforce your joins (if you look at my phone pocket photo you will see this) or you can use it to build up when you accidentally stuff up the angles you are cutting on the foam edges Tongue Contact adhesive has a longer working time and you don't have to sit there for ages holding two bits of foam under tension while you have hot glue burning your finger. When you are putting two large flat surfaces together- for example layer building to make details or two build your piece of foam bigger to make a prop- this is much easier than hot gluing down a flat surface like that. Super glue then has the advantage over both in that is has a very quick working time- which can also be a disadvantage. You just have to approach each method differently.

I guess technically you could also use an epoxy glue, though I don't know anyone personally who has Smiley

Second: depending on what you are building sometimes you can find patterns in pdf form- and sometimes these have been generated from pepakura software. The other option is DIY- scratch build it. Some of my stuff i have done this because I didn't like the patterns or they weren't accurate enough, or they didn't exist. Or I take a pep file, print the file, then start modifying the hell out of the piece before I use it. I have also combined multiple pep files- bits of this one and bits of that one- to create a piece.
Hope that helps Tongue

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »

Thanks for the very informative reply! Smiley The armor making videos I watched the other day suggest barge contact adhesive since it gives you a little wiggle room with timing while also pretty durable and semi-flexible. But he made his armor entirely from scratch, and I find that a little daunting since I've never made foam armor lol

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »

Thanks for the very informative reply! Smiley The armor making videos I watched the other day suggest barge contact adhesive since it gives you a little wiggle room with timing while also pretty durable and semi-flexible. But he made his armor entirely from scratch, and I find that a little daunting since I've never made foam armor lol

Start with something small. That's my best suggestion. If for example you are making a full set of armour leave the torso until last and if making the helmet leave that til absolute last. First armour set I started with forearm armour, second I started with the shin armour.

And speaking of burns..... Just got the ends of two fingers with hot glue. Thank the Force for the ice pack! Now is delayed in building until fingers stop hurting sigh

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

Such a work is impressive ... really ...

One point sent to Wallaby land Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »

Such a work is impressive ... really ...

One point sent to Wallaby land Wink

Wallabies are so cute, when we went to a nature park they had this gorgeous and obviously very tame wallaby and it just loved scritches and cuddles! I wanted to sneak him into my suitcase and take him home Cheesy

But back on topic Grin

This evening's effort, in between burning the tips of two fingers Tongue

One belt buckle, adjusted a bit from the EVAkura converted file.

And one foam silencer to go onto my boomco pistol, because I don't have time to make an entire ODST pistol and this gives the general impression for a con Smiley Complete with a little LED torch- or at least just it's casing for now, the rest will get wired in after painting Cheesy

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »

Okay... not to toot my own horn, but I'm gonna toot my own horn coz I am pleased that this just worked!

One backpack with removable case that opens and is functional  it can fit a couple of 600ml water bottles, or say a water bottle, wallet, asthma puffer, and whatever else I need to troop with

This is what Dare's backpack looks like:

MDF box that I made, add a layer of 6mm craft foam all around (I hate contact adhesive! Handy thing, but so smelly!), let dry, sand into shape, add details.

Now to finish adding the remaining details to the backpack

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 02:55:27 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »

With Dremel work. Amazing what a few details do to the overall look of something.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

Nice. Your 2nd in game pic, I can just see it. Veronica: What's up? Soldier: Not much Tongue I don't know many of the characters names so. Can't wait to see this one fully done. Maybe I should see about doing my Mando armor in this form because I think even the thin plastic would be a bit too much for me

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »

Nice. Your 2nd in game pic, I can just see it. Veronica: What's up? Soldier: Not much Tongue I don't know many of the characters names so. Can't wait to see this one fully done. Maybe I should see about doing my Mando armor in this form because I think even the thin plastic would be a bit too much for me

Depends on what mando.

The typical Boba Fett mando.... Most of the costume is material with a few armour plates. Better off using foam board, not foam. One of my mando friends actually has his plates made out of sheet metal Tongue I think another uses acrylic. Better off checking the Mandalorian Merc forums for tips. I will be making an armoured SWTOR Jedi in the near future and I will be trying foam board first. What can I say.... Armoured costumes are just more fun Grin

If you were making a KOTOR mando, which is more like full armour, then foam might work.

Back to armouring, most the bits are outside in gunmetal grey, silver and black. I stayed up until 5am this morning to seal the armour with PVA glue so that hubby could paint it today. This evening I started on the headset- a combo of clear plastic sheet, foam and sports earphones. Now it's an early bedtime and I'll put it together in the morning, coz I'm seriously suffering from lack of sleep.

In non Halo cpstuming news.... Hubby has started his Unicprn Gundam mobile suit build Wink

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

What do you get when you combine two bobby pins, some wire, craft foam, clear plastic shelf liner, the cut off end of an old wooden paint brush, a hair clip, super glue and a set of sports headphones with their wires cut off?

It's close enough for my liking anyway and sits just above my hairline to sit flat  Painting it on the other hand could be interesting...

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: