Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: The Snark Side of the Force  (Read 32590 times)
Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 02:33:48 PM »

The "documentary" looks just like a Kendo-advertisement.  Cheesy
explicitly stated to be based on Pencak Silat
Pencak means "to fight". It's like Kung Fu - different styles that are called by a collective name for outsiders. But that is nitpicking.
Ep V and VI had the heavier Longsword motions I prefer in my fights.
That's why they look a lot better.  Wink
For Ray Park, they casted such an Athlete that I always thought he created his own style for Darth Maul.
I think he had a say as the fight-scenes were developed, but in the end choreographer and director are the ones choosing the action.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »

New Post, this one on Form V: https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/form-v-djem-so-and-shien/

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »

Very interesting Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

For an analogy to Shien you could take a look at I.33 - though a sword & buckler source, its tactics of binding, trapping and controlling are IMHO in line with this form (at least when it comes to saber vs. saber).
My interpretation of this aspect of Form V is centered on provoking, feinting and luring the opponent into a trap as tactical tools.

Sabers

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »

Good call. I actually do know someone who made a 'lightshield' out of a hard plastic riot shield. It could be incorporated.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Long Live The Fighters

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »

Do not recall any light shield in SWU ... But i imagine that a 2nd blade can do the job ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »

A friend made one in the early days. It made a kinda sense that someone, somewhere, would have developed a portable shield device. friend took a riot shield, some EL wire and a shock pad. From there you had translucent blue shield that lit up brighter when hit.

Long Live The Fighters

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »

A friend made one in the early days. It made a kinda sense that someone, somewhere, would have developed a portable shield device. friend took a riot shield, some EL wire and a shock pad. From there you had translucent blue shield that lit up brighter when hit.

Sounds fun Wink

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 02:35:28 AM »

For an analogy to Shien you could take a look at I.33 - though a sword & buckler source, its tactics of binding, trapping and controlling are IMHO in line with this form (at least when it comes to saber vs. saber).
My interpretation of this aspect of Form V is centered on provoking, feinting and luring the opponent into a trap as tactical tools.

There are definitely a large variety of sources which could have parallels with Form V.  The idea of defending and attacking in tandem applies to a large number of arts, and that mentality is the reason that we (at TPLA) utilize Form V as a culmination of the previous Forms.  High percentage techniques, which allow the swordsman to successfully strike the opponent while remaining safe, are pretty much the goal!

We (fencers) see it in epee, as well as the other weapons to a certain extent.  It's even more central with weapons that employ a larger guard, like longsword.  I'd love to see someone adapt some sword and buckler techniques, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of precedent for shields in the SW universe (at least ones used with a bladed weapon).

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:26 PM »

I'd love to see someone adapt some sword and buckler techniques, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of precedent for shields in the SW universe (at least ones used with a bladed weapon).
As I said elsewhere, the new RPG-line from FFG (which can be considered new canon) has the shield-gauntlet (projecting a round energy shield) and the energy buckler, so they are there (like the infamous lightwhip ...).

But you don't actually need a buckler to adapt the concepts. In I.33, the buckler serves two purposes: to protect the swordhand and to control the enemy's blade. These two things have to be done differently, but all other concepts (binding, winding, levering, deceiving) can be adapted rather easily. I utilize one special guard (I call it Hidden Guard, but it is derived from Underarm) in this aspect of Form V, which serves to deceive the opponent as to the actual striking distance, so he can easily be lured into a bind.

Bolognese buckler is even easier to adapt, but these concepts are more in line with Form VI.

The real problem is the polycarbonate blade, which is not really supportive of a bind.

Sabers

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »

Do not recall any light shield in SWU ... But i imagine that a 2nd blade can do the job ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

There are two canon examples of what could be considered light shields.  The shields used by the Gungan army in Episode I, and the smaller arm shields used by the Mandolorians in the Clone Wars cartoon.  Both are capable of blocking blaster fire, so I'm going to presume they could also block a Lightsaber.

A third, now non-canon example, are the arm shields used by Durge in the original Clone Wars cartoon shorts.  He did use them to block Obi-Wan's Lightsaber in their fight.

However, to my knowledge, there is not an example of actual sword and shield combat.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 06:30:20 PM »

There are two canon examples of what could be considered light shields.  The shields used by the Gungan army in Episode I, and the smaller arm shields used by the Mandolorians in the Clone Wars cartoon.  Both are capable of blocking blaster fire, so I'm going to presume they could also block a Lightsaber.

A third, now non-canon example, are the arm shields used by Durge in the original Clone Wars cartoon shorts.  He did use them to block Obi-Wan's Lightsaber in their fight.

However, to my knowledge, there is not an example of actual sword and shield combat.

I never thought about gungan shield able to stop a lightsaber. But why not Wink

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2016, 12:03:19 AM »

As I said elsewhere, the new RPG-line from FFG (which can be considered new canon) has the shield-gauntlet (projecting a round energy shield) and the energy buckler, so they are there (like the infamous lightwhip ...).

But you don't actually need a buckler to adapt the concepts. In I.33, the buckler serves two purposes: to protect the swordhand and to control the enemy's blade. These two things have to be done differently, but all other concepts (binding, winding, levering, deceiving) can be adapted rather easily. I utilize one special guard (I call it Hidden Guard, but it is derived from Underarm) in this aspect of Form V, which serves to deceive the opponent as to the actual striking distance, so he can easily be lured into a bind.

Bolognese buckler is even easier to adapt, but these concepts are more in line with Form VI.

The real problem is the polycarbonate blade, which is not really supportive of a bind.

Yes, I generally see those types of techniques under Form V - the bind is an important part of our TPLA Shien.  I'd say the bigger problem than the polycarbonate blade is the lack of a guard.  The blades work just fine, provided it's a heavy grade one, for binding techniques.  It's the danger of hand contact with an all cutting plasma blade that causes the biggest challenge there!

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2016, 05:09:49 AM »

I'd say the bigger problem than the polycarbonate blade is the lack of a guard.
That's imminent in all forms, so I don't mention it especially here.  Wink
What makes the bind difficult is the lack of edges and the sliding of the polycarbonate. It's just difficult to control the opponents blade when you constantly slide along.

Sabers

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 09:22:59 AM »

The sliding of the Polycarbonate can be used. I do not know for other weapon but using a sliding cylindrical blade, you can make the blade of your opponent slides, unbalancing him/her. It is the purpose of the "Parade en toît*" in canne, french staff and, i think, english quarterstaff ...

*Very sorry, do not know how to translate that ... hope you will know it Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: