Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: STAR TREK BEYOND - NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 15247 times)
Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »

I actually enjoyed the new movie a lot.  Closest thing I have seen to a TOS episode in a long long time.  I thought the actors did a great job and the effects were done well.  And one moment at the end put a tear in my eye, and made me smile.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »

Another stellar review by Darth Knox!

I want to go see this one.  I wasn't ever really into the OS - more TNG, but did see all the movies. Smiley

Thanks for doing this yet again my friend. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »

people are going on about it as it was officially released at comic-con. If there was a disclaimer or something saying it was unfinished/temporary/demo footsge that would be one thing, but as far as i know there has been nothing like that.

Yeah, they could have made that clear.  In fact, knowing how fans are, they should have made it clear.

Glad you liked the review. I would say it is definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

I may go see it.  I'm on the fence.  Part of me wants to see it sooner rather than later.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »

Yeah, they could have made that clear.  In fact, knowing how fans are, they should have made it clear.

I may go see it.  I'm on the fence.  Part of me wants to see it sooner rather than later.
as a Trek fan, you should go see it on the big screen. It is your duty as a starfleet officer to uphold the princicples laid down by the federation under grand admiral roddenberry

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »

as a Trek fan, you should go see it on the big screen. It is your duty as a starfleet officer to uphold the princicples laid down by the federation under grand admiral roddenberry

It's bad enough that I thought of Roddenberry in Chiss makeup, but the disturbing thing is that I also thought "That sounds like the beginning stages of decomposition, with bloodshot eyes and bluish-white skin..."

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »

Oh dear. O_o

One other thing about Beyond.  Some of you know my theory that in Into Darkness, Kirk was suffering from a breakdown of sorts because of having to deal with two versions of the universe and of himself, from mind-melding with Ambassador Spock.  It seems to me like Into Darkness was definitely Kirk hitting bottom.  His death and recovery, plus the passage of time seems to have aided in his healing, and I get the sense from some of his behavior in the movie that he's actually learned how to integrate the two identities and directly call on each--intentionally--when it's situationally appropriate.  To say HOW this is, though, would be to give spoilers.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »

Go see it.  As a life long Trek fan I was very happy with this movie.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Question of the day (because I can and i've been drinking)

What is the most rewatchable Star Trek movie? Not necessarily the best, but the most easiest to watch over and over again.

My choice would be Star Trek First Contact. While I maintain that Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek movie, First Contact is a perfect balance of sci-fi, action, horror, humour and Trek.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »

Question of the day (because I can and i've been drinking)

What is the most rewatchable Star Trek movie? Not necessarily the best, but the most easiest to watch over and over again.

My choice would be Star Trek First Contact. While I maintain that Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek movie, First Contact is a perfect balance of sci-fi, action, horror, humour and Trek.

Dated as it is, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is extremely rewatchable.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Dated as it is, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is extremely rewatchable.
i agree that is extremely rewatchable, but more so than First Contact? What are your reasons?

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »

i agree that is extremely rewatchable, but more so than First Contact? What are your reasons?

Nostalgia, mostly. I grew up during the time they traveled to. Also, it was absolutely hilarious watching the crew in 1986. I've always loved Fish Out Of Temporal Waters stories.

Of course, the reveal of the Enterprise-A is always a plus. Such a beautiful scene.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »

Nostalgia, mostly. I grew up during the time they traveled to. Also, it was absolutely hilarious watching the crew in 1986. I've always loved Fish Out Of Temporal Waters stories.

Of course, the reveal of the Enterprise-A is always a plus. Such a beautiful scene.
that was the first trek movie i remember hearing about while they were filming it. I remember thinking it a dumb idea at the time. And then i saw the movie and loved it. It is definitely the funniest of the movies with the original cast. My choice came down to this and FC.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »

For me it's First Contact and The Undiscovered Country.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »

For me it's First Contact and The Undiscovered Country.
if you could only watch one which would you choose?

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »

if you could only watch one which would you choose?

Ouch...hard choice.  In the end I'd have to take First Contact on sentimental value (I saw it in the theater but not Undiscovered Country), better effects, and having one of the best scores in the franchise.  That and Picard getting kicked hard in the hypocrisy.  It actually makes a cool companion piece to DS9 in that way as well as being a TNG movie, given that DS9 was in the process of deconstructing a lot of the excessive parading on a high horse that TNG and Picard specifically did a lot of.

(Oh and of course it actually gave us a good reason to have Worf aboard and acknowledged the Defiant, so it strengthens the sense of it being a companion piece to DS9.)

The Undiscovered Country is really awesome too, though, and when I do my top movie lists, I usually rank them together at #1. Smiley

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: