Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Venting  (Read 21532 times)
Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »

If the energy recycles, how is it vented? If it's vented, how is it recycled? I really read it as excess energy the crystal can't handle. It seems like it would be plasma, but no field. The field makes the blades impact. The plasma burns. I don't think it was fully thought through. I think it's just cracked, like Kylo's mind.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »

If the energy recycles, how is it vented? If it's vented, how is it recycled? I really read it as excess energy the crystal can't handle. It seems like it would be plasma, but no field. The field makes the blades impact. The plasma burns. I don't think it was fully thought through. I think it's just cracked, like Kylo's mind.

<sighs> According to my OC research, assembling a saber was something only a Force sensitive could do. The crystals had to be perfectly aligned, otherwise the beam would not be focused through the emitter, and the saber would explode. This was the case even for sabers using good natural crystals from Illum. As has already been accepted cracked nature of Ren's crystal, the vents prevent the misdirected energy from destroying the hilt. Think of them as pressure release valves. They relieve just enough excess for the device to function.

The "plasma" is generated by the crystal. The field is generated by the emitter. The field deflects energy. That's why saber blades don't pass through one another or force fields and deflect blaster bolts and lightning, but do pass through pretty much anything else. The way I figure it, a physical object breaks the path of the field, allowing the plasma to burn whatever it contacts.

Once the obstruction to the field has been melted/burned/destroyed the field reestablishes the blade nigh light speed. According to Wookieepedia saber blades do not emit heat. But as shown, they can melt and cauterize. This is the best explanation I have. Hope it works for you.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »

I've already read that and more. I wanted an official source, if anyone knew of one, that would answer if there is or is not an emitter/field on the vents/quillons. If there isn't a source, that's fine. It's just a discussion. I'm not jumping to the same conclusions others might, nor am I attacking anyone.

If you're frustrated, simply walk away from the discussion.

What I read said the energy is recycled through the crystal. I've already suggested that 3 blades might disperse energy, but the recycling won't really vent much. Disney is arranging this as a vent, not just another blade. Disney-canon is not the first to have extra blades, but they are doing it in a different way and for a different reason than legend-canon. I started with a curiosity of which way they were going. We've each had our way of looking at what information we have.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »

I'm just throwing this out there, as I have very limited knowledge of such things, but does the fact that the vents appear stressed due to heat make any difference?

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 03:03:57 AM »

I'm just throwing this out there, as I have very limited knowledge of such things, but does the fact that the vents appear stressed due to heat make any difference?

Good point. I'd interpret that as meaning there isn't a field there. The shrouds keep the energy away from the hands, as the quillons and vents are hot, unlike the blade, which sources say would be contained in a field and not hot until pushed into something.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:51 AM »

Cool. I was watching for that reply. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »

Or it is unstable, like the blade, that lets off some of its energy.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 05:35:39 AM »

The system is unstable due to the cracked crystal. It's stated that's the purpose of the vents. If the emitter fields themselves are unstable, even on the main blade, the blade length may change, not just the beam flux we see. The quillons are vents for the unstable energy of the blade. If the emitter field is failing, I suppose Kylo's blade could be letting off heat, unlike others. If that's the case, that's not just a damaged crystal requiring vents and an ancient design. That's just a failure on Kylo's part.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 06:26:44 AM »

Failure at his level of training is entirely possible.  Just not a total failure, or a failure that turned into an opportunity.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »

Here is my theory.  We know the design is ancient and comes from the Scourge of Malachor.  So, sometime in Kylo's training he was on Malachor, maybe he and Luke went there or that is where Snoke is.  Canon wise we know the early Saber's were flat blades (DarkSaber) and at some point the Force Users moved on to beam-like blades.  We got to see a cross hilt in Rebels.  I think when the Lightsaber was being developed the process was (of course) imperfect and perhaps resulted in the Jedi/Sith cracking the crystals which necessitated the vents.  Now eventually they refined their technique of course and we get the classic Lightsaber design.  So, Kylo may have done the same thing, perhaps Luke never taught him to make a Lightsaber (yet) or all Kylo had was a cracked Crystal and had to use the cross design. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »

If you're frustrated, simply walk away from the discussion.

If I were frustrated, I wouldn't have responded. The merely denoted that I was preparing for a somewhat lengthy explanation. I love talking turkey about the principles behind sci-fi science.

Here is my theory.  We know the design is ancient and comes from the Scourge of Malachor.  So, sometime in Kylo's training he was on Malachor, maybe he and Luke went there or that is where Snoke is.  Canon wise we know the early Saber's were flat blades (DarkSaber) and at some point the Force Users moved on to beam-like blades.  We got to see a cross hilt in Rebels.  I think when the Lightsaber was being developed the process was (of course) imperfect and perhaps resulted in the Jedi/Sith cracking the crystals which necessitated the vents.  Now eventually they refined their technique of course and we get the classic Lightsaber design.  So, Kylo may have done the same thing, perhaps Luke never taught him to make a Lightsaber (yet) or all Kylo had was a cracked Crystal and had to use the cross design. 

Not necessarily. Malachor was a Sith site. The Jedi sabers were brought by their owners from elsewhere. NTM, the sabers being referenced from the S2 finale of SWR did not have unstable blades. Also, that abomination that you referenced is the only flat blade ever run across. (Sorry for the mild vent.) A flat blade would actually require advanced technology in order to shape the light.

I'd like to know, if Ben was being trained by Luke, and Luke knows how to make a real lightsaber, then why does Ren's look like it was made by a half-retarded initiate?

Don't get me wrong. I am legitimately trying to like this saber. But I refuse to choke down the "canon" just cuz Disney said it is this way.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 11:59:21 PM »

The system is unstable due to the cracked crystal. It's stated that's the purpose of the vents. If the emitter fields themselves are unstable, even on the main blade, the blade length may change, not just the beam flux we see. The quillons are vents for the unstable energy of the blade. If the emitter field is failing, I suppose Kylo's blade could be letting off heat, unlike others. If that's the case, that's not just a damaged crystal requiring vents and an ancient design. That's just a failure on Kylo's part.

Part of me wonders if we will even see this saber in future movies. It was destroyed at the end of Ep. 7. So unless he salvaged the crystal from it or got another cracked crystal then there would be no need for the vents.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »

I wondered why he was using a cracked crystal. If it was all available or he broke it. I also considered that if it is Vader's old saber, the crystal may have been broken before Kylo got it. He wants Anakin's saber, because he believes it will give him some stronger connection to his grandfather. He knows his cracked crystal is a problem, so he wants the other crystal that belonged to Anakin/Vader. In D-canon Aftermath Life Debt, Vader's saber is revealed to still exist. This could mean the cracked crystal in Kylo's 'ancient design' is Vader's. Though, there's nothing confirming that. Only that both Anakin's saber survived, and Kylo want's Anakin's saber.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »

I wondered why he was using a cracked crystal. If it was all available or he broke it. I also considered that if it is Vader's old saber, the crystal may have been broken before Kylo got it. He wants Anakin's saber, because he believes it will give him some stronger connection to his grandfather. He knows his cracked crystal is a problem, so he wants the other crystal that belonged to Anakin/Vader. In D-canon Aftermath Life Debt, Vader's saber is revealed to still exist. This could mean the cracked crystal in Kylo's 'ancient design' is Vader's. Though, there's nothing confirming that. Only that both Anakin's saber survived, and Kylo want's Anakin's saber.

It was never confirmed as Vader's Saber..just a Red Bladed Saber..both Aftermath books have seen the Vader Cult get 2 different red lightsabers they WANT to believe is Vaders.  No way Vader's survived the Death Star.

Not necessarily. Malachor was a Sith site. The Jedi sabers were brought by their owners from elsewhere. NTM, the sabers being referenced from the S2 finale of SWR did not have unstable blades. Also, that abomination that you referenced is the only flat blade ever run across. (Sorry for the mild vent.) A flat blade would actually require advanced technology in order to shape the light.

I'd like to know, if Ben was being trained by Luke, and Luke knows how to make a real lightsaber, then why does Ren's look like it was made by a half-retarded initiate?

Don't get me wrong. I am legitimately trying to like this saber. But I refuse to choke down the "canon" just cuz Disney said it is this way.

Never said it wasn't Sith site, I don't know what point you were trying to make there.  As to the Rebels saber having stable blades I chalk that up to the animation.  As to why Kylo's saber is obviously cobbled together, as I said maybe Luke had not taught Ben to make one...Maybe Luke was trying to steer away from violence or maybe it is all Kylo had.  I'm sure we will get more info as it progresses.    The flat blade design is also seen in the concept for Darth Bane in clone wars, from that it is obvious they are meant to be the early sabers.  As to the tech being more or less advanced than beam sabers...not something that I nitpick.  Canon is Canon.  Had to accept it under Lucas and it is no different now.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »

It was never confirmed as Vader's Saber..just a Red Bladed Saber..both Aftermath books have seen the Vader Cult get 2 different red lightsabers they WANT to believe is Vaders.  No way Vader's survived the Death Star.

Actually, since Luke carried Vader's body out of the Death Star unless his saber dropped down that hole with the Emperor then there's a high probablility that Luke recovered Vader's saber also.

Usually teaching the padawans to make their own saber was one of the last things taught traditionally. My theory is that Ben went rogue before this lesson was completed. But the question then becomes why wouldn't Snoke provide him with adequate knowledge to make a decent lightsaber?

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: