Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Venting  (Read 21567 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »

If you have a saber that works, sure.   Ventress bought some on the blackmarket if I recall that didn't change color since she didn't mess with them.  Most times we see this happening is because the saber in question was destroyed and a new one needed to be fashioned.

As to why the Inquisitors might not use just whatever lightsabers are left over at the Jedi Temple?  I guess they want their spinning duel bladed weapons as it gives them something the remaining young Jedi will have a problem dealing with.

Probably because TCW was made under the OC assumption that you find a colored crystal and boom, that's what color your blade is. But the question is still not being answered. I've heard many DC answers to saber questions over the last few weeks. Despite being the so-called truth, they have failed to blow my skirt up.

"The red color is a result of the crystal bleeding from being dominated." Why would a dark sider waste time with the visual aesthetics of a piece of hardware? It makes as much sense as searching an active battle field for a blaster that shoots blue because you like the color, instead of "this one has ammo, I'll use it."

And they can't very well say that only Force sensitives can use a saber because

CANON! A saber is a piece of technology. Nothing more.

And if they even try to spin some lame ass story about Han being a low grade Force wielder, I will spend my every waking second raising the funds to acquire the rights to Star Wars and dump everything that Disney ever made for the franchise.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »

If the saber works, why mess with the crystal?

The crystal must be set when building it. It doesn't work until after the crystal is 'messed with'. There's no need to change it after the fact, unless it falls out of alignment etc. There are also numerous cases in EU where the saber is not quite suited to a new user. Some think it's a saber design thing. Others think it's a Force thing.

It sounds like you're trying to ask why Sith need to do anything to the crystal. Heir to the Jedi and other stories have examples of sabers that subtly resist new users. Luke found an amethyst saber that felt slippery, regardless of how much he cleaned and dried it. He postulated that his father's saber didn't resist, because he is his father's son. I would expect Disney is suggesting a crystal, being strong in the Force, refuses the will of a Sith user or even the wrong Jedi user. Hence, a Sith bleeds the crystal to dominate it. It will likely come into play to explain why Anakin/Luke's saber went to Rey instead of Kylo.

Whatever the resistance, sabers can be used by anyone.

As I said before, I like the idea that perhaps the Sith is really changing the crystal for the sake of strengthening it. Such an idea was in Book of Sith. Some would think a modified crystal will be stronger. Others will think a natural crystal is stronger as it is in harmony with the will of the Force. But, it's not stated plainly in DC, that I know of. Just statements about dominating etc. A Sith messes with a crystal because a Sith is bullheaded and tries to dominate everything, instead of work with what is naturally available. I'd prefer we just have kept it as synthetic crystals for Sith with red sabers. That's DC's HarryPotter blend for ya.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »

The thing is, we've seen so few Sith and dark siders that we don't know why they have their lightsabers.   Ventress was handed hers, so she didn't make them.  Savage's was also likely handed to him by Dooku (I don't recall when he changed from a magic weapon to a Sith weapon),  Dooku likely made his later lightsaber after leaving the Jedi Order as his new weapon suits fighting Jedi.   Palpatine was hiding from the Jedi and likely made his own weapons that he could hide them on his person.   Maul made his own saberstaff from what I remember so he could crush Jedi.  Vader had to made a new one after Obi-wan took his old one.  That might be pride with Vader.  We don't know for sure if Kylo had a lightsaber before turning to the dark side, and after 50 year, it might be difficult to find a lightsaber left over from the Clone Wars.

Was there anyone else we have seen on the screen aside from the Inquisitors, who all have a special kind of weapon, that are dark siders?    General Krell still used his old saberstaffs.  Anakin used his old saber until after Mustifar.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 02:00:42 AM »

Probably because TCW was made under the OC assumption that you find a colored crystal and boom, that's what color your blade is. But the question is still not being answered. I've heard many DC answers to saber questions over the last few weeks. Despite being the so-called truth, they have failed to blow my skirt up.

"The red color is a result of the crystal bleeding from being dominated." Why would a dark sider waste time with the visual aesthetics of a piece of hardware? It makes as much sense as searching an active battle field for a blaster that shoots blue because you like the color, instead of "this one has ammo, I'll use it."

And they can't very well say that only Force sensitives can use a saber because

CANON! A saber is a piece of technology. Nothing more.

And if they even try to spin some lame ass story about Han being a low grade Force wielder, I will spend my every waking second raising the funds to acquire the rights to Star Wars and dump everything that Disney ever made for the franchise.

This, again, has to do with adding more mysticism back into the Lore.  Each crystal is attuned to a wielder, Darksiders can not attune themselves with a Crystal because of the Light Side leanings of the Kyber Crystals so they must bend the crystal to their will.    Think on it this way.  In a real world scenario, and I say this from experience, any competent swordsman can use any sword but when you find one that is "just right" or as in my case have one made to your specs...it will sing for you.  This is of course comfort based but extend the idea to the crystals.  As stated this may clue into why Anakin's saber went to Rey instead of Kylo.  As far as I know no one has made the claim only force weilders can use Sabers.  Grevious wasn't a force user nor was Pre Visla, Cad Bane or the thief who stole Ahsoka's saber.  All were able to ignite and wield a lightsaber...some better than others..all within the Clone Wars.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 06:07:28 AM »

Obi-wan was able to use Ventress's saber, but he didn't like it.  Anakin used Dooku's briefly but didn't keep it.  Anakin used Barris' for a bit, while Barris used Ventress's sabers, though she thought they suited her.   It isn't clear if Dooku made those sabers, or if someone else did, as I don't think Ventress made them.  We can assume Ventress went on a Gathering pilgrimage when she became a Padawan since she had a lightsaber in her flashbacks, right?  Or was that her picking up her master's saber?

Anakin and Obi-wan swap sabers in their duel for a bit, but there own sabers came back to them when called.

"This weapon is your life"

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »

*trigger warning*

I hate Disney.

Hate them if you want, but allow me to give you somethings to ruminate on.  Disney writes the checks and of course has the ability to nix anything they wish; BUT  Lucasfilm, specifically Kathleen Kennedy and  Pablo Hidalgo are in charge of the Star Wars content.  Any decisions  are most certainly theirs.  The Disney acquisition, contrary to popular belief, revitalized the SW brand.  Star Wars was never NOT a money maker in the last 30 years but with less than stellar feelings from fans towards the prequels, SW games and book sales down etc  it was slowly bleeding.  TFA is the highest grossing Star Wars film..ever.  However you feel about the film you can't deny it's rejuvenated wider interest in Star Wars, will it Hold?  We Will see.  Now to Lucas himself.  Lucas is a brilliant Idea man...but has limited vision and ability to bring said ideas to life.   Empire and ROTJ are widely considered the best SW films..neither were directed by Lucas and both had the scripts re written (Lawrence Kasdan who also co wrote TFA).   Lucas felt the SW Universe began and ended with Anakin, Nothing before his Birth (unless directly related) and nothing after his redemption and Death mattered.  It's why we got Clone Wars instead of a continuation of the story.  Lucas as well never considered the EU as anything other than an alternate universe to his own..but he was not above borrowing from it...no different that what is happening now.  Indeed many EU fans have not been happy with Lucas since the prequels since a few things he set forth contradicted things in the EU...foremost was Boba's origin, and How the Mando's were depicted in Clone Wars REALLY made a lot of people mad..including one of the SW authors.  Long and short of if, hate them if you will...won't try change your mind on it...but just keep in mind they at least had the balls to try and move forward instead of spinning their wheels .

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »

Hate them if you want, but allow me to give you somethings to ruminate on.  Disney writes the checks and of course has the ability to nix anything they wish; BUT  Lucasfilm, specifically Kathleen Kennedy and  Pablo Hidalgo are in charge of the Star Wars content.  Any decisions  are most certainly theirs.  The Disney acquisition, contrary to popular belief, revitalized the SW brand.  Star Wars was never NOT a money maker in the last 30 years but with less than stellar feelings from fans towards the prequels, SW games and book sales down etc  it was slowly bleeding.  TFA is the highest grossing Star Wars film..ever.  However you feel about the film you can't deny it's rejuvenated wider interest in Star Wars, will it Hold?  We Will see.  Now to Lucas himself.  Lucas is a brilliant Idea man...but has limited vision and ability to bring said ideas to life.   Empire and ROTJ are widely considered the best SW films..neither were directed by Lucas and both had the scripts re written (Lawrence Kasdan who also co wrote TFA).   Lucas felt the SW Universe began and ended with Anakin, Nothing before his Birth (unless directly related) and nothing after his redemption and Death mattered.  It's why we got Clone Wars instead of a continuation of the story.  Lucas as well never considered the EU as anything other than an alternate universe to his own..but he was not above borrowing from it...no different that what is happening now.  Indeed many EU fans have not been happy with Lucas since the prequels since a few things he set forth contradicted things in the EU...foremost was Boba's origin, and How the Mando's were depicted in Clone Wars REALLY made a lot of people mad..including one of the SW authors.  Long and short of if, hate them if you will...won't try change your mind on it...but just keep in mind they at least had the balls to try and move forward instead of spinning their wheels .

Love it, DT. You have eloquently and adequately said something I've tried unsuccessfully to tell people for months now. Grin

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

The crystal must be set when building it. It doesn't work until after the crystal is 'messed with'. There's no need to change it after the fact, unless it falls out of alignment etc. There are also numerous cases in EU where the saber is not quite suited to a new user. Some think it's a saber design thing. Others think it's a Force thing.

It sounds like you're trying to ask why Sith need to do anything to the crystal. Heir to the Jedi and other stories have examples of sabers that subtly resist new users. Luke found an amethyst saber that felt slippery, regardless of how much he cleaned and dried it. He postulated that his father's saber didn't resist, because he is his father's son. I would expect Disney is suggesting a crystal, being strong in the Force, refuses the will of a Sith user or even the wrong Jedi user. Hence, a Sith bleeds the crystal to dominate it. It will likely come into play to explain why Anakin/Luke's saber went to Rey instead of Kylo.

Whatever the resistance, sabers can be used by anyone.

As I said before, I like the idea that perhaps the Sith is really changing the crystal for the sake of strengthening it. Such an idea was in Book of Sith. Some would think a modified crystal will be stronger. Others will think a natural crystal is stronger as it is in harmony with the will of the Force. But, it's not stated plainly in DC, that I know of. Just statements about dominating etc. A Sith messes with a crystal because a Sith is bullheaded and tries to dominate everything, instead of work with what is naturally available. I'd prefer we just have kept it as synthetic crystals for Sith with red sabers. That's DC's HarryPotter blend for ya.

I assume HTTJ is DC? In which case.....whatever. I am most displeased with this HP approach to sabers. In the BOTS, I believe the strength of a synth crystal was determined by the strength of the will that forged it. Which makes sense. Jedi frowned upon synth crystals, as they believed they were a temptation to quick power.

I believe it's a translucent rock that emits a high intensity beam when energized. Yes the Force is required to properly align the guts of a saber, but any idiot can turn one on.

Thusly my point...

The thing is, we've seen so few Sith and dark siders that we don't know why they have their lightsabers.   Ventress was handed hers, so she didn't make them.  Savage's was also likely handed to him by Dooku (I don't recall when he changed from a magic weapon to a Sith weapon),  Dooku likely made his later lightsaber after leaving the Jedi Order as his new weapon suits fighting Jedi.   Palpatine was hiding from the Jedi and likely made his own weapons that he could hide them on his person.   Maul made his own saberstaff from what I remember so he could crush Jedi.  Vader had to made a new one after Obi-wan took his old one.  That might be pride with Vader.  We don't know for sure if Kylo had a lightsaber before turning to the dark side, and after 50 year, it might be difficult to find a lightsaber left over from the Clone Wars.

Was there anyone else we have seen on the screen aside from the Inquisitors, who all have a special kind of weapon, that are dark siders?    General Krell still used his old saberstaffs.  Anakin used his old saber until after Mustifar.

According to DM: Shadow Hunter, Sidious told Maul to use a saber staff, and it was done. Sith and their various hierarchy of stooges may have been required to construct their own sabers as a demonstration of skill. Since OC Sith used synth crystals, it would have been an adequate demonstration of commitment since forging a synth crystal usually took at least several consecutive days of meditation to perfectly form the crystals in a furnace.

It seems that most saber variants are introduced through the Sith/Darksiders because they usually offer an advantage in combat. And true to form, most Jedi would look down on such advantages as unnecessary grabs for power.

This, again, has to do with adding more mysticism back into the Lore.  Each crystal is attuned to a wielder, Darksiders can not attune themselves with a Crystal because of the Light Side leanings of the Kyber Crystals so they must bend the crystal to their will.    Think on it this way.  In a real world scenario, and I say this from experience, any competent swordsman can use any sword but when you find one that is "just right" or as in my case have one made to your specs...it will sing for you.  This is of course comfort based but extend the idea to the crystals.  As stated this may clue into why Anakin's saber went to Rey instead of Kylo.  As far as I know no one has made the claim only force weilders can use Sabers.  Grevious wasn't a force user nor was Pre Visla, Cad Bane or the thief who stole Ahsoka's saber.  All were able to ignite and wield a lightsaber...some better than others..all within the Clone Wars.

I'm calling shenanigans. This is just another Jedi ploy to keep the Sith down because we don't buy into their rhetorical BS. Angry I'll site the line from the Grey code, "There can be no good without evil..." Just as death must be able to counter life, so too must the darkness exist to distinguish the light. So why is it that the "bad guys" get shafted in this mix? Kyber crystals are rocks, nothing more. Plus, DC or OC, the concept of the Force having a will just totally sours my stomach.

But I totally feel you on the note of the housing. Not everyone can handle the girth of the Scorpion but it suits me perfectly. But then that still begs the question, if you have a crystal and it works in one saber, why not simply leave it alone and use it to construct a new hilt better suited to your physiology? What's the need to "dominate" it? It's a rock, it doesn't have much personality.

Anakin and Obi-wan swap sabers in their duel for a bit, but there own sabers came back to them when called.

I don't recall this happening. Might require another viewing.

According to Google, ANH is the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time (inflation accounted). If you're looking at simple box office numbers, TFA made the most because it had the highest ticket prices, not because more people went to see it. I will admit a 12yr dry spell in movies is enough to make the franchise slump a little, and a new movie, no matter how bad, is going to cause new surge of interest. I just wish that they get their heads out of their butts and realize that just because it's new doesn't make it good. Take Rebels. The best story points that have come up in that show have ALL been from the OC. Vader, Maul, Ahsoka, the Sith Temple, Tarkin, Thrawn, Lando, Hondo. I've heard rumors that they are thinking about bring elements of TOR back into the canon. But I fear that if they don't get Revan right, there will be riots. I initially had an ill opinion of Ren's saber, but with decent explanation, it started making more sense. Plus despite being a required element to a design flaw, the quillions served a function in combat. That pleased me. But the Inq. sabers just defy all sound logic in design all for the sake of a stupid gimmick. And then they had them flight capable. (where'd I put that hurl emogi?)

Plus I finally pegged why they wrote Leia out of being a Jedi. They just had to have the old gang back together.

Not exactly Jedi material...
vs.

I don't hold it against people for being excited or even happy with the DC. But I firmly believe that it could be much better if fans didn't just blindly accept whatever Disney decides to feed them as good. And stop making kids shows canon. Can you imagine how stupid the franchise would be if LEGO SW mini-series were canon?

But as I've stated before, I will withhold final judgment until the movies are done. Who knows? Maybe TFA will end up being the TPM of this trilogy.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »

I believe it's a translucent rock that emits a high intensity beam when energized. Yes the Force is required to properly align the guts of a saber, but any idiot can turn one on.

Thusly my point...

There is a theory that Finn is Force sensitive as when we see the Hosnian system destroyed Finn is preparing to leave Tokodano on the freighter. As he climbs the ship's ramp he "hears" the screams of millions of terrified souls. He turns and looks at the sky and sees the Starkiller projectiles. No-one else notices the screams and all the people in Maz's bar are stood in silence outsde as the destruction happens. This is similar to Kenobi's reaction to Alderaan on the Falcon in Star Wars. Maybe the Force helped Finn use the saber.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »

There is a theory that Finn is Force sensitive as when we see the Hosnian system destroyed Finn is preparing to leave Tokodano on the freighter. As he climbs the ship's ramp he "hears" the screams of millions of terrified souls. He turns and looks at the sky and sees the Starkiller projectiles. No-one else notices the screams and all the people in Maz's bar are stood in silence outsde as the destruction happens. This is similar to Kenobi's reaction to Alderaan on the Falcon in Star Wars. Maybe the Force helped Finn use the saber.

~¿~

Sig by For Tyeth

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »

I have sensed that Finn is Force capable for a number of reasons throughout the story and book.

To address the rock with energy, DC is making it a rock that is connected with the Force as if it were an entity. As if a crystal is intended, or at least suited, for a certain person or type of person. They likely intended that the saber chose Rey over Ren or the Force willed it to her. With Heir to the Jedi, we see directly that even a Jedi who can use another Jedi's saber will struggle with it more than his own saber. In Luke's case, an untrained Jedi using a weapon that belonged to his father is easier than the saber that belonged to some other Jedi he never met. Disney is trying to say Jedi accept the will of the Force, which was always canon, while Sith believe the Force is a tool to be commanded, which was always canon. They've just gone HarryPottery barn to make the crystals like HP's wands having some will that chooses the user and weakening Voldesith in the process. Then, modifying the idea of Sith's alchemy to manipulate crystals as they did in EU, DC is having Sith dominate the crystal as the Sith dominate the Force.

I immediately feel it adds nothing. It makes the mysticism less mysterious and more magical. Less indicative of a user's internal character and more out of one's hands.

Ideas are fun and gives us all something to obsessively talk about, but that's still not the core of what makes Star Wars great. Star Wars is character driven, not drama driven. Drama drives the characters, not the audience. Character traits and heroism drive the audience. That's the power that has allowed SW to last and touch us in ways we can't quite label.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »

I have sensed that Finn is Force capable for a number of reasons throughout the story and book.

To address the rock with energy, DC is making it a rock that is connected with the Force as if it were an entity. As if a crystal is intended, or at least suited, for a certain person or type of person. They likely intended that the saber chose Rey over Ren or the Force willed it to her. With Heir to the Jedi, we see directly that even a Jedi who can use another Jedi's saber will struggle with it more than his own saber. In Luke's case, an untrained Jedi using a weapon that belonged to his father is easier than the saber that belonged to some other Jedi he never met. Disney is trying to say Jedi accept the will of the Force, which was always canon, while Sith believe the Force is a tool to be commanded, which was always canon. They've just gone HarryPottery barn to make the crystals like HP's wands having some will that chooses the user and weakening Voldesith in the process. Then, modifying the idea of Sith's alchemy to manipulate crystals as they did in EU, DC is having Sith dominate the crystal as the Sith dominate the Force.

I immediately feel it adds nothing. It makes the mysticism less mysterious and more magical. Less indicative of a user's internal character and more out of one's hands.

Ideas are fun and gives us all something to obsessively talk about, but that's still not the core of what makes Star Wars great. Star Wars is character driven, not drama driven. Drama drives the characters, not the audience. Character traits and heroism drive the audience. That's the power that has allowed SW to last and touch us in ways we can't quite label.
Have serious issues with Finn being sensitive. He has military training and yet couldn't out perform a total noob with a saber? If he were Force sensitive, he should have been easily been able out do Rey against Ren. But no.

"Life creates it. Makes it grow." - Yoda
"The Force is an energy field created by all living things." - QG Jinn

So why would something non-living have a natural connection to it?

+1 for HarryPottery Barn Tongue

Yes. I feel that the DC is too driven by gimmicks and not enough of by story and good characters. Take Downton Abbey for instance. For all of the hype surrounding it, the stories were good, not great, and slightly predictable. What made that show great, however were the characters; the viewer invested in them. TFA characters just seemed kind of robotic.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2016, 03:18:05 AM »

But I firmly believe that it could be much better if fans didn't just blindly accept whatever Disney decides to feed them as good

This is I think where the split fandom needs to have an understanding.  Because I am not vehemently objecting to Disney does not mean I think every decision is a good one. example:  I think the anthology films are a terrible idea especially the subject of the films so far.  But, I like enough of it that I haven't thrown my hands in the air about it.  That may Change as we progress of course.  As I stated once before, this story and these characters...are not ours.  They were owned by one man and he decided to sell them to a company, what ever Lucas said was Law and now that goes for Pablo under Disney's purview.  This feels no different than when Lucas was in charge to me.  How many decisions of Lucas did we have to accept when we made it clear we didn't like them?  To Sum up, I'm not On Board 100% with all of the new Canon... just enough of it not to give up. 

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2016, 03:33:14 AM »

I see potential. I went cold the latter part of TFA. The potential paths that sparked my imagination in the first part, followed by the books and comics will bring me back. I can't deny my feelings because someone doesn't share my opinion. I won't invalidate someone else because they like something or throw their hands up when they don't. I won't always agree and shouldn't be invalidated when I disagree. I'll try to comfort others with the way I see good things and hope for consolation over the parts that left a gaping maw in my heart that arguing and reminding me I'm powerless just doesn't seem to sooth.  Wink  Sharing joys and sharing struggles make things better than denial.  Roll Eyes

I like the prequels better than TFA. (Takes cover)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »

This is I think where the split fandom needs to have an understanding.  Because I am not vehemently objecting to Disney does not mean I think every decision is a good one. example:  I think the anthology films are a terrible idea especially the subject of the films so far.  But, I like enough of it that I haven't thrown my hands in the air about it.  That may Change as we progress of course.  As I stated once before, this story and these characters...are not ours.  They were owned by one man and he decided to sell them to a company, what ever Lucas said was Law and now that goes for Pablo under Disney's purview.  This feels no different than when Lucas was in charge to me.  How many decisions of Lucas did we have to accept when we made it clear we didn't like them?  To Sum up, I'm not On Board 100% with all of the new Canon... just enough of it not to give up. 
Don't get me wrong, despite my negative view of where things are heading, I'm actually an optimist. I still hold onto the hope that things will get better, and lame ideas will get ironed out to better fit.

When I have advocated that the fans "own" this fictional universe, I spoke of a technicality. Think about what would happen to any major franchise that displeased enough of their fans. The ratings would plummet and no one would continue funding productions. By this technicality, LucasFilm works for us, and we pay them. We, the fans, pretty much have the ability to tell them that their work is not satisfactory and "they're fired." The problem is that too many don't see this and blindly accept everything as "good work." The same can be of other organizations that shall remain nameless on the forum. Wink

I see potential. I went cold the latter part of TFA. The potential paths that sparked my imagination in the first part, followed by the books and comics will bring me back. I can't deny my feelings because someone doesn't share my opinion. I won't invalidate someone else because they like something or throw their hands up when they don't. I won't always agree and shouldn't be invalidated when I disagree. I'll try to comfort others with the way I see good things and hope for consolation over the parts that left a gaping maw in my heart that arguing and reminding me I'm powerless just doesn't seem to sooth.  Wink  Sharing joys and sharing struggles make things better than denial.  Roll Eyes

I like the prequels better than TFA. (Takes cover)
Ermahgerd, yes. When that stupid line came, I was about to puke. Then Han got offed. Pretty much the movie just fell apart after the Force vision. Angry Cry Actually it kinda fell apart after "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: