Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Vintage Graflex ESB with Emerald Driver WIP  (Read 7450 times)
Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 8

« on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »

My custom build replica of the ESB Lightsaber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 11:33:37 PM »

Hi guys. Here's my WIP for my custom build. This is my first saber build so it's been a steep learning curve. Above is just a quick mock up for my hilt. Nothing attached etc. Used it to take a pick with my newborn daughter.

So I'm currently at the electrics testing phase. Mocked up all my work using Darth Daddy's awesome wiring diagram.

I need some help though folks. This all works great apart from the LED. It's RGBW and emerald driver.

I think the driver is not working. With power on, my laptop picks it up but there is no power going to the LEDs. I've check with multimeter and nothing. 0v.

I've tested the LEDs with a resistor on direct power and they work fine.

Question is. Does anyone know what this issue might be? I can't find any instructions on how to set up the driver. I've done what appears to be right but it could be user error not a fault.

Has anyone any tips for fault finding?

Any help gratefully received!

Here pics of the stuff I've got so far.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »

Hey subaquatic Smiley.  So looking forward to following this build!  Wicked! 

And dude, what IS that thing under your bench?! 

If the led's work wired directly to power, likely a wiring issue?  I haven't wired an emerald from scratch yet, but I'll round up the pro's.  Everyone's kinda swamped ATM so might take a couple for them to be able to get back to you but I know they'll help Smiley.  Think you could throw up a pic of the wiring to emerald a little more close up/ clear? 

Also, congrats man!! Awesome pic! 

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:16:30 AM »

I've re-wired a few Emerald sabers, so they have settings already written to the board . . . My initial guess is perhaps a "clean" Emerald board that hasn't been setup has all LED channel level's set to 0 . . . That'd be my first guess . . . try setting it up again and plug in the Emerald board to your pc and play with the channel levels, you might just get some "light", lol . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Clever Smiley.  Thanks Jed! 

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »

Hey subaquatic Smiley.  So looking forward to following this build!  Wicked!  

And dude, what IS that thing under your bench?!  

If the led's work wired directly to power, likely a wiring issue?  I haven't wired an emerald from scratch yet, but I'll round up the pro's.  Everyone's kinda swamped ATM so might take a couple for them to be able to get back to you but I know they'll help Smiley.  Think you could throw up a pic of the wiring to emerald a little more close up/ clear?  

Also, congrats man!! Awesome pic!

Thanks bud. Appreciated. She's a little star. We've been sat watching Lego Yoda Chronicles all evening and she's loving the flashing lights.

That thing under my bench is my other build hobby. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drone).

Racing ones and video platforms. But Star Wars is winning at the moment lol

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:33:21 PM »

I've now figured out what I did wrong! I needed MORE POWWARRR!! Lol.

I soldered up two 18500 liion Batteries and tried it out. Low and behold, Let there be light!!

Been working on the programming of the lights since then. Got it to the right colour and I have it flickering right. Now all I gotta do is decide on sounds and get my Obsidian Board to react how I want.

https://vimeo.com/181253518

Hope you like this little demo

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »

So glad you got it figured!  Aweome Smiley

Dude- that looks amazing!  Love the lighting fx.  Looks wicked. 

And man, the uav's look insane!!  SO cool!  Thanks for posting.  Def have to keep us posted as this progresses. 

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »

So here I am so far... A couple of test runs with rough chassis. Not ideal but it's a start.

Biggest problem I've got at moment is my batteries are too big. So I've ordered new ones.

Then it's how I'm going to fit it all in.

I've discovered that they way I'd planned it doesn't actually fit. So I've got to try and squeeze everything into the base section and then hide it somehow.

This could get complex and I've only got till the beginning of November to get it working for a Star Wars party I'm holding...

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »

Hi.  This all looks very exciting and I'm enjoying seeing all those pics.  The drone ones are cool.  However you might as well be talking in a foreign language to me ( French/Italian would be so nice ).  Hope that you get your Flex completed on time.  Rev and Jed are bound to show up soon.   point  Cool

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »

Looking great so far.  I won't pretend to know what you're doing, other than putting together an awesome Graflex saber that works with some great US electronics.  Wink

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »

Thanks guys. Had a short break from building but hitting it hard this week. Slowly taking shape.

Subaquatic
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »

Been working on the costume side to go with. Had to learn leather craft to make real leather belt etc

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

Great looking Graflex clamp and activator card and I really like the belt.  Superb work on everything.  Smiley

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »

I need to see these pics lol!!! 

I love edge connector card and clamps lol!!

Sorry I've been having hard time keeping up here subaquatic.  How goes the build?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: