Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hidden Holocrons  (Read 575 times)
Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« on: August 17, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

I love those moment-shards in life when a flash of seemingly insignificant thing appears in front of me and teaches me a lot about life. They are like little "holocrons" to me offering something different and a certain "aha!"-experience so I can adjust my point of view and drop a lot of unconscious judgements.
I found one of these little "holocrons" yesterday too and I thought why not share it.

During our afternoon walk on the riverside we run into three guys who were walking a group of dogs. A few of these dogs were in pretty bad condition, one of them completely crippled to the back legs and had a little 2-wheeler "cart" strapped on her so she could crawl forward with her front legs and pull this rolling thing behind.
She was LEAH according to that funny name plate attached to the cart on her back. I've seen dogs like her before but Leah was special: she was HAPPY! All dogs ran around us with their usual joy and fun, even Leah found her way to me - she rolled to my legs and I was just amazed by the sight: her eyes were full of excitement about the whole world around, about meeting another stranger on the way and literally about everything really. Like she wasn't crippled at all.

I wanted to understand how it's possible. How can Leah be happy like the other dogs who had all legs functional while she had this serious handycap rendering her incapable of basic things in life?
The holocron switched on.
I had a good round of thoughts about what she must have had (a talent?) to overcome such a condition but none of them helped.
When I turned it all over and started listing what Leah didn't have I think I got my anyswer.
She didn't have the ability to compare.

Lacking the ability of comparison sounds like the end of the day for a human. However I feel like I have to say goodbye to that statement now. If Leah had all these comparisons in mind like "these other dogs are so lucky, they have all their legs, they can run freely and fast while I'm here and crippled" or anything like "It's such a disaster that I lost my back legs, it shouldn't be like this, it was so different before my accident when I could run around all day like the others now", I bet she wouldn't have been happy at all.
But Leah seemed to be free of the worries and stress caused by obvious comparisons, shoulds and shouldn'ts, instead she was genuinely happy and enjoying what life had to offer for her.
We played around for a few minutes, Leah and I and I couldn't stop admiring her for what she was and how she was.

Leah taught me something very important and reminded me to other very important things. It's so easy to be caught in the trap of the automated mind and thoughts, to be unconsciously sure about these easily digestable "values" like right or wrong, good or bad, should or shouldn't - and the deeper the automation is, the bigger the impact of any experience it requires to at least think about anything on another way.
A few minutes later when the encounter was over I tried and dropped a few comparisons in my life I was somewhat serious about. It's just liberating! I consider myself a happy guy overall but this levelled my happines up instantly. It's just unbelievable to see how many unnecessary things I was carrying in my mind. Some pretty poisonous and distracting judgements simply dissolved and I came back to my present so easily.
Now I just have to increase my consciousness over these thoughts to keep it up.

Thank you, Leah!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: