Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Recessed Buttons in Combat  (Read 2134 times)
Afterman
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 21, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »

Hello all!

Quite an amateur saberist here, but I can't help but notice something during both tournaments in Ludosport and just normal demonstrations/sparring here in Orlando.  It's a bad habit of mine to analyze everything about whatever I may be using either in work or play and how effective it may be.

Every now and then, a button gets hit and the saber is off.  Even fighting against my roommate who's extremely skilled this seems to happen enough times to where it does disrupt the flow of things.  I've noticed some designs here and there involving buttons that are quite sunken into the frame of hilts that are untouchable unless you are needing to hit them.  Wouldn't this be considered more of a pro than a con in competitive sabering?

I personally have been lucky to have US designs that require holding down of the button to deactivate the saber, but triggering my clash happens now and then too.  I've also been discouraged from buying certain sabers that are curved due to the button being right on the peak of the curve.

In combat designs, do you feel a recessed button may be worthwhile to mod into a hilt?  Or do you feel guarded is all you need?

Morgoth136
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:30:45 AM »

it is such a tossup depending on where your hands are placed. if you are a 2 handed fighter id say your button is safe but a friend of mine used twin initiates and has the cover around his button smashed off. mostly because his one hand is placed below the button.

additionally it depends on what type of gloves you use and how the material bulks up and where. i have both types of saber and i feel like neither is really superior but thats just me.

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "

check out my lightsaber dueling group, the scions of the balance
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvTovNQK2fuAfSE6J46K0rg

Afterman
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »

His button guard was smashed off?  Yikes.

And aye, as both a two-handed saber fighter and a single short saber fighter I can agree hand placement is everything.  But it's also the fact that a strike can turn a blade off too...but now that I think about it, now as I even type this, I kinda see how that is actually an accurate thing.  Would be a bit of a zany thing to actually have a way sabers, when struck on the hilt, actually deactivate.

Morgoth136
Knight Ensign

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

yeah just a little side of it, the button was popped back out after being stuck for a moment but it was just a sharp corner for a bit. he was able to fix it pretty easily wit ha replacement

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:00:43 PM »

Was it a standard non-illuminated button? Can this button guard be chipped off, really? Mine appears to be quite sturdy.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Morgoth136
Knight Ensign

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »

It was a standard guarded switch. I always forget what each type is called

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: