Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Survival  (Read 5495 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »

You are among 6 people on a boat in the middle of Pacific Ocean, 300 miles from land. The boat is made from wood. Your motor has suddenly run out of petrol. Then another disaster happens; a shark smashes the bottom of the boat and makes a big hole, causing the boat to start sinking. Fast.

Apart from the passengers there are 25 items in the boat and a storm is approaching. In order to keep afloat you need to get rid of 17 items. Which 8 items do you keep to survive as long as possible and why?
(no cheating or trying to get around the rules. you can only keep eight items. No more, no less)

A dog
A rope that is 5 metres long
An umbrella
A knife
A hammer
A compass
A bar of chocolate
A box of matches
A flare
A torch
An anchor
A box of plasters (band-aids)
A mirror
A bucket
A newspaper
Glue
A fire extinguisher
A barrel
A watch
A bottle of water
A stick of dynamite
A box of cigarettes
A live chicken
A pair of scissors
A saucepan

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »

Moved this to the Forum Games section - I'll probably revisit it eventually to give it a go.
Side note, today I learn that a "Box of Plasters" are the equivalent of the what American's call "Band-aids".

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »

Moved this to the Forum Games section - I'll probably revisit it eventually to give it a go.
Side note, today I learn that a "Box of Plasters" are the equivalent of the what American's call "Band-aids".
indeed. although *clears throat and puts on nerdy voice* band-aids are a brand of plaster but the name has gone on to refer to all plasters in American culture, similar to how Hoover is what many people call a vacuum cleaner in the UK.

Thanks for moving this Drahcir.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »

PS: A "torch" in British is a flashlight in American. Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »

PS: A "torch" in British is a flashlight in American. Tongue
we say flashlight too as we're multilingual  Tongue Tongue

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 03:20:37 PM »

Things removed, Things used as they are removed

A dog
A rope that is 5 metres long
An umbrella (deal with it)
1.) A knife
A hammer
A compass (use the sun)
A bar of chocolate (seriously?)
A box of matches (ditch after lighting dynamite)
2.) A flare
A torch
An anchor
A box of plasters (band-aids) (be careful)
3.) A mirror (use to reflect sun as beacon)
4.) A bucket (for bailing. also for catching rain water for drinking)
5.) A newspaper
6.) Glue
A fire extinguisher (surround by water)
7.) A barrel
A watch (who cares what time it is. again, use the sun)
8.) A bottle of water (ration, but people can't drink sea water)
A stick of dynamite (light and throw. hopefully the bang will be heard)
A box of cigarettes (smoking is bad for you)
A live chicken
A pair of scissors (anything scissors can cut, a knife can cut)
A saucepan

Ditch everything struck through. Tie the rope to the anchor, and hook the chicken as bait. Catch that (9)shark. Cut the anchor and salvage rope. Use hammer to brain the shark. Ditch hammer. Chicken gets ditched when shark is gutted. Sushi for everyone. (I know I just labeled my 9th thing. Just wait.)

Use knife to saw barrel in half (assuming plastic). Tie one half to stern with rope to tow the dog. (American. can't let the dog die) {1/2 barrel + 1/2 rope wt off of boat = 1 full item off}

Take the other half of the barrel to plug the hole, and seal with glue and newspaper. Patch should hold until rescue.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »

Ok. Here's my list:

A rope (lots of uses)
An umbrella (initially to keep me dry from the storm, but also can use parts if it to create fishing hooks and maybe even fashion a makeshift sail of some sort)
A knife (pretty self explanatory)
A box of matches (able to create a fire to keep warm and eventually cook stuff to eat)
A bottle of water (human body needs water and drinking sea water would not be healthy)
A mirror (can signal any passing ships i may drift past)
A barrel (to plug the hole in the ship)
A saucepan (bail out any water that may be on board and use it for cooking too)

I would definitely kill the dog and feed it to the sharks which should keep us alive a little longer. (I've never understood Americans love and fascination with dogs, especially in movies. Dogs are evil; they eat babies).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »

I would definitely kill the dog and feed it to the sharks which should keep us alive a little longer. (I've never understood Americans love and fascination with dogs, especially in movies. Dogs are evil; they eat babies).

Like I said. I can't kill the dog because I'm American. Watch any American movie that has dogs in it. The hero never kills dogs. Stuns, tranqs, or beats (if necessary), but never kills. Killing a dog is the surest sign of a villain. But you're British, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »

Like I said. I can't kill the dog because I'm American. Watch any American movie that has dogs in it. The hero never kills dogs. Stuns, tranqs, or beats (if necessary), but never kills. Killing a dog is the surest sign of a villain. But you're British, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I totally understand. Dogs are evil. I laugh anytime a dog dies in a movie (especially Starship Troopers). I love cats though, which probably just adds to my British evilness! Grin Cheesy

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 01:25:55 AM »

Evil?! How dare you sir! Cats, now those things are the epitome of evil. Self serving emotionless things.

Now this is a awesome subject! I like this one. If I only had a tarp though, but here it goes:
Rope, Knife, Hammer, Chocolate, Flare, Mirror, Bucket, Saucepan.

I wouldn't patch the boat. The barrel was enticing, but the hammer can break away enough to maybe make up some rafts, paddles, whatever. Splitters, boo hoo, eff the bandaids. Knife is a must, cutting rope, protection, same as hammer. Flare, you're gonna need it. It's your ultimate hope for being saved. Mirror, can use as a heat source, reflection. Bucket, store rain water. You can go longer without food, but 3-4 days without water and you'll go nuts. Saucepan is to boil(hopefully) anything you can catch, but without hooks and any real option for hooks, fish will be at a premium. Chocolate, just enough to give you energy, if portioned rationally.

I'd probably not last long, but only sensible thing to me. If the ship is already busted, without nails, you're not patching anything. The glue won't dry as long as there is moisture. Again, if I were alone, the barrel would probably be number one..I might rethink this

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Gray Legionary
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »

I totally understand. Dogs are evil. I laugh anytime a dog dies in a movie (especially Starship Troopers). I love cats though, which probably just adds to my British evilness! Grin Cheesy
[/quote]

liking cats over dogs??? you're the most british person i've ever seen, lol. If i had a cat and a dog and was starving, I'd eat the cat and then starve. (probably not, though. I might be able to convince myself to eat a dog if it's truly life or death with no hope of rescue, but thats besides the point)

(objects used are italicized, count em there's Cool
as an american, the dog is a must. I'll use the knife to bleed the chicken, make it a nice enticing meal for the shark, more enticing than a mouthful of wood anyway. Also i will keep a few feathers for use later, then throw him overboard (not counting him because i don't keep him on the boat).  I'd also use my knife to cut the barrel in half, to make two more (large-ish, im assuming) buckets. with six people on the boat and three buckets, we'll take shifts between throwing out the water and signalling for help with the mirror. of course, when the sun sets, that position will be using the flare to signal. when enough of the water is removed, use the barrel to plug the hole enough to at least lessen the flow of water for a while to get some respite, and then back at the water removal. this rotation of 6 people has 4 positions so far, that leaves two people not doing anything. People get tired, so at least one turn in the rotation has to be empty. that leaves one spot. that person will use the butt of the knife to break open the compass, taking out the needle to use as a fishing hook. using my knife to cut some of the rope, i'll tie some feathers to the needle to make a makeshift fly, which will then be tied to a piece of wood made smashing out a tiny piece of the boat with the hammer. with this set-up. we'll try to wait out the storm as much as possible. the smaller bucket will be used, when it can be spared, to collect rain water to drink. if the boat is getting too full, we'll all drink the rain water and keep getting the water out of the boat. when the storm clears, we'll be able to use the to reflect the sun to try to cook whatever we catch fly fishing. The human body can survive three weeks without food, which is enough time to catch some fish. the thinnest people eat first. the goal is to make sure everyone on the boat survives.

I am a Gray Jedi.
There is passion, but also peace.
There is strength, but also serenity.
There is victory, but also harmony.
All is balance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: