Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: staffs staffs staffs!  (Read 4354 times)
BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 81

crystals and cat hair

« on: September 08, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

OK, so I'm already planning cosplay for D*Con 2017, yaaaayyy!  I'm going to the dark side (just for one cosplay), and I'm going to need an awesome blazing red staff.  Pretty much the only thing I have decided is the color and that I want Li ion batteries because dealing with regular ones at con was a pain in the pancreas.  So, here are my questions!

Any suggestions on blade length for a shortie?  (I'm 5'1")  I tried holding up my two current sabers up end to end (with 32" blades), and it seemed so long.  I'm alright with trimming down blades myself, but I would like some guidance.  I'm not sure if it actually would be too long or if I'm just not used to huge props.  Also, I do have some interest in spinning, so managable length is important.

I'm also a little confused on coupler options.  I get that vented ones are for sound, non vented for no sound, but aside from that is there anything else I need to know?

Finally a more general question, resistor vs buck puck, I've read the post and watched the video about batter options, and when they say the resistor burns off extra energy as heat, that's not, like, hot heat that I'll be able to feel, right?  Obviously, I know it wouldn't be anything unsafe, but I'd rather know in advance if I should start to expect my saber to feel like an old phone playing Pokemon Go with a poor signal on a hot summer day.

Thanks!

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
Blazing red dark sentinel v4
yellow phantasm initiate

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the heat from the LED will swamp the heat from the resistor by at least an order of magnitude.

The Thanamira School of Thought Regarding Staff is:
* the total height should be 0-2" taller than you
* the blades should be noticeably longer than the hilt (at least 1", 2+" preferred)

This makes it really tricky with US sabers, since they all tend to be about 12" long - so 24" staff, with 24" blades, boom, 6' staff.  Actually, more like 5'6" to 5'8" staff, due to emitter depth, so then the blades would be noticeably shorter than the hilt.

The big (small?) exception is the Menace, checking in at 10.375", so a Menace staff is ~21" long (the coupler adds 1/4", I think).  I think you can get 24" blades without a req charge.  Then the question is what is the emitter depth; according to http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=30372.0 for the Menace it's 3.375".  24" - 3.375" = 20.625" visible blade.

20.625 * 2 + 21 = 62.25", or 5' 2.25", which is then 1.25" taller than you.  Visible blades would be 20.625" compared to a 21" hilt, so okay, pretty close!

So then the question is...  would you feel awesome or weird having a Darth Maul saberstaff if you're not cosplaying Darth Maul?

Then again, this is you I'm talking to, so by the time you bling up a Menace staff, it may look totally different - and dang would I love to see photos of that!  Cheesy

Hope this helps.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »

Very helpful!  And thanks for doing the math too!  Have a point.

I actually haven't decided if I'm going to bling this one or not.  GF thinks I should bust out some bright red crystals and be Darth Glitter.

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
yellow phantasm initiate

Thanamira
Knight Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

GF thinks I should bust out some bright red crystals and be Darth Glitter.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

www.bostonlightsaber.com

Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »

Get ready for some more math.

2 Initates (for a staff I recommend the v4 model) each 9.5 inches.
1 adjustable coupler 1.9 inches

So, 20.9 inches.  Blade depth on the Initate v4's (using the same thread Thanamira referenced) is 2".  So, using 24" blades, 24 + 24 + 20.9 - 4 = 64.9", or about 4" taller than you.

For couplers, there are about to be four options.
1) non-vented (no sound)
2) vented (sound)
3) adjustable (sound and you can make sure all the buttons line up)
4) detachable (basically a quick disconnect that allows you to rapidly switch between two sabers and a saber staff.  It comes vented, and I think is also adjustable).

I like adjustable more just make sure everything lines up. The vented/non-vented are slightly shorter than the adjustable (1.7" for those vs. 1.9" for the adjustable).

I recommend the buck puck, as it tends to be more energy effiecent and the batteries last longer, before needing to be recharged.

And yes, the staff needs bling.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:44 AM »

See, this is what I love about this place, so many knowledgeable, helpful folks.  More points!

And, yeah, I probably will end up blinging it whichever option I choose...

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
yellow phantasm initiate

Thanamira
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »

Oh snap, of course, Initiates!  Point for Vivectius.

v2 Initiates are also something worth considering, for their smaller diameter.  Although if you want sound, v2s are not sound-capable.

*thinks*  For a con, I'd want sound, though.  It's much more immersive and fun for everyone.  Smiley

www.bostonlightsaber.com

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:56:10 AM »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*sudden urge to cosplay glittery Maul*

someone stop me

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
yellow phantasm initiate

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:43:57 AM »

I would go with an Initiate staff if I were you. My sister is your height, I can't imagine her wielding anything else...I'm 5'7" and even I might be better off with that than anything.

And, bling it out Darth Glitter!!!! And get GF to sign up here. We want to corrupt her like we have you.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 04:56:16 AM »

I've coupled my daughters Apprentice V4 to my son's Initiate V4 with the 24" blades.  Not the longest of course, but it felt plenty large enough to me, esp with the added length of the vented coupler we have.  I'm not very used to holding and maneuvering a staff at all so that might be why I felt like it was enough, but also consider that I'm 6'6" and I prob wouldn't build a staff any bigger then that for myself.  Just my 2 cents, and I happen to have a pic of it as well.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »

Point for the picture Hazard.

But that looks really short for my personal tastes.  But I'm used to two Liberators with 36" blades, so that might be just me (I'm 6'1").

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »

*sudden urge to cosplay glittery Maul*

someone stop me

\Palpatine{Do it!}

www.bostonlightsaber.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: