Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Don't Fear The (Azure) Reaper  (Read 2872 times)
Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« on: September 11, 2016, 03:41:18 AM »

And now for something completely different . . .

Rather than doing something resembling a standard review for this lightsaber, I decided instead to take a detailed look at the very unique anatomy of the Azure Reaper for anyone who is contemplating purchasing one or is just curious about the hilt.

It's definitely a one-of-a-kind configuration in the UltraSabers lineup.

Well, maybe not literally "One".

As stated, this shows the Azure version, but everything here goes for the standard Reaper (Black Anodized) and the Crimson version as well. So there are three variants of this model.

Azure Reaper Anatomy & Physiology:

Cool looking saber, huh?

Here are the basics on what you see above:

- Blue Anodized w/ Silver Circuit Engravings

- MHS Emitter w/ detachable Claw & Shroud

- MHS Pommel w/ detachable Claw

But there's a lot more to it than just that . . .

Let's start with the Pommel and work our way up.

As mentioned, the Claw is easily removeable - I used a 3/32 SAE Hex Wrench to remove mine; slightly larger than the standard 5/64 used to remove the Blade.

You can see in the above photo that the Pommel is completely open on the bottom.  As a result, Obsidian Sound is really loud on this model; it absolutely rips!

Now here's where things really start to get interesting.

Did you notice the retention screw on the side of the Pommel in a couple of the pics above?

Those are there because that Pommel is itself a Shroud that fits over the Silver threaded section and is held in place with two retention screws.

This allows you to actually rotate & set the Pommel Shroud in any direction you want!

Want the Claw facing the rear of the hilt? Sure!

Want the Claw facing the front of the hilt?  No problem; simple adjustment!

Working our way up the hilt, here's the lower section of the Body . . .

. . . and here's the upper section.

See the line below the AV switch?

The Body actually breaks down into sections:

Finally, here's what I personally think is the highlight of this UltraSaber: the Emitter.

Here's a couple views of the Emitter attached to the Hilt, front & back.

The Shroud and the Emitter when removed from the Body:

The Blade retention screw is normally covered by the Shroud, so to remove or attach the Blade - you have to completely unscrew and take off the Emitter, attach the Blade, then screw the Emitter back in.

The Shroud itself simply slides onto the Body; there aren't any Threads or Screws.

Close-up of the Emitter itself.  I really love the machining on the Emitter Windows.

Finally, the Emitter - like the Pommel - has a shroud-like tip with retention screws so you can adjust the Claw in any direction you like.

Thoughts & Suggestions:

- I love the adjustable Emitter & Pommel shrouds!  In fact - it would be incredible if UltraSabers eventually offered an MHS Expansion Pack that included a plain, threaded Emitter & Pommel section and a variety of shroud attachments you can use to customize your hilt and have any asymmetrical pieces face in the direction you want.

- I'd also love to see a "Dark Reaper" that is an all Black version of the hilt body - no circuitry engravings.

- And while we're talking Colors - if they ever offered Yellow & Green variants - I would absolutely buy all 5!

Why?

Because - Lion-Team Voltron Sabers!

- Lastly, my only disappointment with this hilt is the fact that US decided to make the Body width 1.45".

Why is that a problem?

Because I would LOVE to use that Silver Emitter Shroud on other Hilts!

Unfortunately, virtually all the Hilts w/ removable Emitters are 1.5"

That's just wide enough to not be able to slide the Shroud on.

In particular, I think a Staff with 2 Dark War Glaive Bodies & 2 Reaper Emitters would be incredible!

I've already tried though & the Shroud just doesn't fit on the DWG Body.   Undecided

That's all for now - hope you found this look at the anatomy of the Azure Reaper to be useful!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:45:39 AM »

This hilt is incredibly dope.  Mine has been on back order for several months now.  Your detailed summary recap was a nice appetizer and something to look forward to.

What color tone did you get it in? 

Many Txs as usual Lord.

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:46:53 AM »

I did find this helpful.  Same width as an Dom V4, though after holding one the Reaper feels a lot thicker then that.  Maybe it's the extra weight that throws me off(?) . . . the etching is awesome.  Point!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:11:43 AM »

Very nice. Been wondering what it would look like without the shroud on. The gap there kinda shows though but I think it adds more tech look to it if you think about it =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »

Another great review by Lord C. Smiley

This is the best, most in depth look I've seen of this hilt to date.  I wasn't aware that the claws could be adjusted in any direction.  Cool!

I've always liked these sabers.  Now even more so.

-1 now, and another for Voltron. Grin

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »

Awesome LC!! I had no idea the reaper body spit into 2 sections!  I wish more Sabers did that, love that for so many reasons. 

Very nice look at the hilt, aweome review!  This is a wicked hilt!  Point coming ASAP.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »

Such a great review LC, can't wait until I get the shipping notification that mine is on its way home, in the meantime I will just continue to stare at these pics...  Shocked

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 03:23:53 AM »

Very nicely done sir! now if you would kindly repeat the process for every saber in the US arsenal... Wink

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:34:37 AM »

Very nicely done sir! now if you would kindly repeat the process for every saber in the US arsenal... Wink

LoL . . . well, if US wants to send me a bunch I'd be happy to take the time!   Wink

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:10 AM »

Just found out it is going to take at least another month for the azure reaper that I was expecting at the end of this month... Cry

Guess I will just continue to drool over these pics.  Tongue

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: