Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Trek discussion thread  (Read 66899 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #270 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »

New article on Star Trek: Discovery appears to confirm the setting and a few other details.  What do you guys think?

CBS 'Star Trek Discovery' to feature female lead
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/11/cbs-star-trek-discovery-to-feature-female-lead.html
i like everything i read in that article. The only thing that gives me pause is that they will "absolutely have a gay character". If they have the character in a subtle off-hand way like they did sith Sulu in the new movie then i'm all for it. If they have a gay character ourely to tick a box quota, then it screams of trying too hard. If the character develops a relationship that seems natural like Willow and Tara then again, i'm all for it, but if it's done a sa cheap way to boost ratings then nope. I would like to see another interspecies relationship on Star Trek along the lines of Dax and Worf in DS9.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »

i like everything i read in that article. The only thing that gives me pause is that they will "absolutely have a gay character". If they have the character in a subtle off-hand way like they did sith Sulu in the new movie then i'm all for it. If they have a gay character ourely to tick a box quota, then it screams of trying too hard. If the character develops a relationship that seems natural like Willow and Tara then again, i'm all for it, but if it's done a sa cheap way to boost ratings then nope. I would like to see another interspecies relationship on Star Trek along the lines of Dax and Worf in DS9.

Star Trek has always had a sort of quota thing going on all the way back to the 60's, so it's a bit more baked into the franchise than some other ones.  That said, my expectation is going to be a VERY high-quality, three-dimensional approach to all characters.  They cannot simply have a "diversity shtick" where everything they say or do focuses on whatever their distinguishing feature is.  Nor can anything be cartoony or exaggerated, OR out of character for the time period where things are supposed to be no big deal.  This is not the 21st century--this is supposed to be a timeframe where it's been a non-issue for two centuries.  I expect the characters to act like it is a non-issue. No chips on shoulders, no anachronistic bad behavior from others, etc.

How it was for almost all episodes with Benjamin Sisko regarding race (as in, total and complete non-consideration) is what I expect.  The one time they broke this with Sisko--having him try to kill off a non-humanoid alien because of lack of historical accuracy by the human who created him (I am referring to Sisko almost offing Vic the hologram/artificial intelligence), it was distracting and anachronistic.  He should've sent flame mail to Felix the programmer or made a negative review of the program on Spacebook instead, given that Vic's attributes were squarely on Felix.  But the vast majority of the time what I saw in Sisko was a competent commander I could take seriously and never think for one instant if I were under his command that he was looking at me with my demographics in mind.

To me, it is important that Discovery approach all characters in the same way: focus on their characters and competencies, and make them well-rounded.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2016, 06:35:36 PM »

And we just lost the man who played Admiral Ross this week. Sad

Barry Jenner, known for playing Admiral Ross on 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,' dies
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/11/barry-jenner-known-for-playing-admiral-ross-on-star-trek-deep-space-nine-dies.html

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »

And we just lost the man who played Admiral Ross this week. Sad

Barry Jenner, known for playing Admiral Ross on 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,' dies
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/11/barry-jenner-known-for-playing-admiral-ross-on-star-trek-deep-space-nine-dies.html
very sad news. One of the best admirals to appear regularly in the franchise

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »

Though morally ambiguous, Admiral Ross was one of the most competent ones in the franchise.  The only other admiral that made such a strong positive impression on me--though sadly we only saw him once before he was killed or assimilated--was J.P. Hanson from "Best of Both Worlds."

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »

New question for the group: TOS crew vs the reboot crew. Mainly Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2016, 12:06:30 AM »

New question for the group: TOS crew vs the reboot crew. Mainly Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.
Too easy. TOS crew all the way. The Kelvin timeline crew are good, but ultimately are still portraying iconic characters that came before them.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2016, 12:22:24 AM »

Too easy. TOS crew all the way. The Kelvin timeline crew are good, but ultimately are still portraying iconic characters that came before them.

Shatner was more "Kirky", Pine was more fun. I'd say Shatner takes it though. Nimoy all the way for Spock too. And I think Karl Urban was a very good replacement for McCoy, but the original takes this one too.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: