Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Electrum Wind VA V4 Review (Lotsa pics)  (Read 3106 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: September 28, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »

Electrum Wind
A Review by SciFiDude79

OK, so I got my new Electrum Wind today.  After a whole heck of a lot of sitting around waiting today, I was (of course) busy doing something else when FedEx Guy delivered this.  So, I took it upstairs and finished what I was doing before I opened it.  When I did, the top of my head blew off.  Pictures don't really do this beauty justice, but I'm going to bombard you with them anyway, because I'm not a YouTuber.

First, let's start with the order.  Here’s what I ordered:

Electrum Wind with Obsidian Premium Sound
[Blade LED Color:Violet Amethyst]
[Flash on Clash:No Flash]
[Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries & XTAR VC2 Plus Charger Included) [Summer Sales Strike Back]]
[Recharge Port:No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length:36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option:Mid Grade]
[Electrum Wind Grip Type:Round]
[Sound:Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4]]
[Switch Type:Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch]
[Electrum Wind Pommel Type:Black Finish]
[Blade Set Screw Type:Socket]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip]
[Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks]
[Include Blade Plug:No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand:No Thanks]
[Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks]

This is my first saber with sound, so I decided to go with Obsidian V4.  I have three computers, none of which run Windows and they're not Macs, so I have no way of changing fonts if I got the V3.  So, the $10 upgrade to V4 was a no brainer.  I love that it comes with seven fonts and a mute, plenty of variety.  For those who don't have the V4, these are the fonts it comes with:

1. Default Obsidian
2. Blackstar
3. Sith
4. Ancient Saber
5. Episode 1
6. Episode 2
7. Episode 6
8. Mute

Of those, I really like the Episode 2 for my hilt, as this is a hilt patterned after one from that movie.  Though, most of the others are nice too.  I'm not super fond of the Ancient Saber font, but that's OK.  And, let me tell you, this sucker is LOUD.  I cut the toe area off of an old sock and stuffed it into the pommel to dampen the sound a bit, and it's still plenty loud.  So, even if you've seen and heard the Obsidian sound board on videos, you haven't heard it until you've heard it in person.  So, the board was definitely worth the extra money.

Violet Amethyst is a new color for me.  I'm really happy with it.  It looks a lot like the color Mace Windu had in the movies and, since that's the look I'm going for here, that's perfect.

Now onto the main event.  The hilt itself.  The hilt is absolutely gorgeous.  The silver with gold and black anodizing is wonderful.  The detail is also amazing, as this hilt design has a lot of visual interest, aside from the color scheme.  It’s also big and heavy.  But, we’ll get onto the juicy part and let the pictures do (most of) the talking.

Click on images to enlarge

Close up detail shots:

The emitter, complete with windows like Mace’s hilt had.  Only the gold part is the emitter, the other part is a shroud.

The activator.  The boxes are cool and add a lot of visual interest.

Another shot of the activator area and the gold ribbed section behind it.

The hand grips.  I went with the movie style round ones.

The pommel itself is very short, but a bit wider than the standard size pommels.  When they get them in the store, I may have to order some for my other sabers.  It can add a bit of flare to any hilt.

The Covertec.  Fortunately, I already had a clip.

Back side of the activator area. I’m not sure what the black stuff is, it kind of feels like they bonded soft plastic to the metal.  As you can see, I went with the socket style screw.  It doesn’t interfere with my grip at all.

If I have one complaint about my order, it’s the blade I received.  I ordered a midgrade blade because I didn’t feel like paying extra for a heavy grade when I have 8 heavy grade blades already.  Anyway, my blade film has wrinkles in it.  I tried to get a pic of it, you can only see some of them:

That's how it came out of the box.  It’s not a huge deal for me.  As you can see, I’m mainly keeping the saber on the stand I already had with my US blade plug in it.  The blade will probably go into a closet.  Still, it’s the only imperfect thing in an otherwise perfect order.

For those who are wondering, here are some size comparison images.  Like I said, this is a BIG hilt:

For a size reference, I have long hands.  My hand from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is over 8 inches.  As you can see, my thumb overlaps my fingers a little.  It does a lot more so on the usual 1.5 inch diameter UltraSaber.  Though, since I have big hands, I do find this a pretty comfortable hilt to wield.  But, not everyone will.  However, as I said earlier, it’s heavy.  It can be spun, but with some difficulty.  It’s especially hard to spin with the midgrade blade, I found it easier with a heavy grade.  Though, I’m also not a very good or advanced spinner.  But, I find hilts like the Sentinel and Aeons much easier to spin.  I could probably duel with something like this if I needed to.  It’s certainly solid, though the main hilt detail is a bunch of shroud pieces.  (James Casey took his apart and posted pics if you want to see)  As a result, some of the pieces do move a tiny bit, but it’s not bad.

So, overall, a fantastic hilt and another great shopping experience from UltraSabers.  I ordered last Thursday, it shipped Friday and I got it today.  Ground shipping from Texas to Ohio.  Smiley

JediApprenticeChris37
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 140

Light side points PLEASE and stop with dark points

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:31:15 AM »

you put a amazing review of your Emectrum Wind saber together

sabers I own:
Prophecy v3  <---Guardian Blue w/V4 sound
Bellicose <--- Sentinel Yellow V3 sound
Dark Menace <---Guardian Blue  V4 sound
Manticore CE <---Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Consular <--- Adegan silver with Quick disconnects
Electrum Wind <---DVA with V4 sound

wishlist: Dark Prophecy V3

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:42:55 AM »

Very nice saber, SFD, and a great review.

Ok, you've had your fun with it, now send it to me so I can find a good spot for it.  Wink

Have a point.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 03:03:20 AM »

Thanks guys.  I'm loving this saber.  Smiley

Ok, you've had your fun with it, now send it to me so I can find a good spot for it.  Wink

Yeah, about that... Tongue

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »

Congrats, you made a great review, +1...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »

Congrats, you made a great review, +1...

Thanks LJ.  Smiley

Gamble
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -254

Evil Only Has One Face

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »

Very sweet looking ultra Sabers did a great job making that saber it's one of there more popular lightsaber thanks for sharing your photos good luck

Guardian CE W/Obsidian V4 - Guardian Blue
Prophecy V3 W/Obsidian Lite - Arctic Blue
Consular W/Obsidian V4 - Consular Green
Sentinel V4 W/Windows Stunt - Fire Orange

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »

Excellent Review scifidude79, and thank you for all the juicy pics . . . +1  Smiley

You've mentioned you put the EW emitter on a hilt as a pommel . . . any chance of a pic of that please ?

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments, Gamble and JediXIX.  Cheesy

@JediXIX:  Sure!  Ask and you shall receive.  (within reason Wink)  I actually snapped pics of that and the Electrum Wind pommel on my shiny Sentinel, but I didn't post them.  Here they are:

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »

Thanks LJ! Congratz! Love seeing your sabers lined up with Electrum Wind!

Uko Ren
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »

Nice thorough review... and nice hilt for sure. I may get one of those. Just got a manticore CE today (emerald with v4 sound) and it's perfect. Nickel plating is amazing. It's my first Ultrasaber. But much like you, the mid grade blade which came with the saber had many scuffs (inner ones. The kind you get when the blade bends and the film distorts a bit) right out of the box. Looks exactly like your picture. I see you have other Ultrasabers... may I ask if the blades they came with all had similar scuffs? I'll use that blade for dueling and get another as a show blade. But before I order a new one, I'm curious if there is such thing as a perfectly even mid grade blade, or if they all have some wrinkles in the film. Thanks!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »

Thanks guys.  It's a superb hilt and quite nice to wield.  Smiley

@Uko Ren:  Sorry, this is actually my only MidGrade blade.  All of my other sabers have HeavyGrade blades and I even have a spare HG blade.  I can say that none of my HGs have issues with the film and many of them are grab bag blades.  Some have marks on the outside, but that's what happens with grab bags.  I think the issues with the MidGrades are definitely from it bending.  The HeavyGrade blades don't bend.

One thing that may help looks wise is it you get an UltraEdge MidGrade blade.  The UEs have a white appearance and you can't really see the film.  (don't worry, they're plenty bright)  So, that would negate that issue.  If I get any more MidGrades, I'm going to go UE.

Uko Ren
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 03:58:31 AM »

I just saw an old post about a film wrinkle fix:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=19202.0
I'll give that a shot.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 04:26:47 AM »

Thanks!  I'll have to give that a try too.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 04:49:19 AM »

Awesome . . . thanks for the MHS emitter & pommel pics SFD, the silver / black looks especially nice on your Sentinel . . . . points  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: