Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: First Saber - Dark Monarch 10/5 stars  (Read 3533 times)
theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

Welsh Mythological Lake Monster

« on: September 29, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »

The first thing I noticed about the Monarch is that it doesn't seem to be super popular.  No one in my saber club of 30+ people had ever used one and none of the people with their saber collection listed in their signatures seems to have one.  So despite it being my first saber and my utter lack of what to look for in a saber or how to review one, I am doing so anyway!  

First and foremost, I gotta say - I LOVE this thing.  It is better then my wildest dreams could have imagined.  I will be the first to admit I am not a Star Wars fan.  I have never seen any of the movies (thought that will be changing shortly) and I honestly couldn't care less at this point about the universe.  But I am a stunt artist and choreographer, a martial artist, a masquerade performer and I loves me some weapons.  SO after watching my local saber team perform, I just had to get in on it.  I went with my friend to the US booth at the convention we were at and while she was picking out her pieces, I was picking up and playing with some of the pre-made sabers they had on the shelves.  After holding a few of them, I picked up a Monarch and instantly it felt right.  I didn't have the money or the need/interest at the time and I went home without it.  I checked out the website when we got home and essentially, laughed at the price.  And my life went on.  But three weeks ago, we officially joined the team and after one practice (two whole hours) of playing and using a loner saber, I KNEW I needed one to myself.

I went home and looked at a few options.  When I priced everything out, my dream saber was exactly the same price as a generic staff.  I figured and was persuaded to believe that I should get my super awesome dream upgraded single because I wouldn't have use for a staff until I was allowed by the knights to choose a master and specialty.  I am so very far beyond happy with my decision.  So now that you know about me and my journey, let me tell you about my baby.

The Dark Monarch
[Back Order Notification:Acknowledged]
[Blade LED Color:Adegan Silver]
[Battery Configuration:Standard Setup]
[Recharge Port:No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length:36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option:UltraEdge Heavy Grade]
[Switch Type:*SILVER* NON-ILLUMINATED AV SWITCH]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip]
[Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks]
[Include Blade Plug:No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand:No Thanks]

Hilt - 149
Blade Upgrade - 10
Button Upgrade - 15
Colour Disks - 2
Total - 174

So after the GRUELING 6 day wait (I'm mostly kidding,t eh shipping was way faster then we expected, I just wanted it like teleported to me instead) we did an unboxing video.  If you are interested in checking that out here ya go!  First of all, I was very impressed with the packaging and how tightly everything was in the box.  Woohoo.  But who cares about that, on to my baby <3

So the Monarch is perfect.  I don't have big hands, but the varying thicknesses along the hilt offer me a multitude of places to hold it.  At first glance, one would assume the best or only place to hold it is at the thinnest part, the three rings near the bottom.  While this is a good place, it is rather heavy for me there and I have yet to build up the strength.  My actual preferred one-handed grip is all the way at the top of the handle.  There is an indented ring that is a great resting point for my thumb and forefinger.  This space allows me to easily do figure8s, but there is also enough space left on the hilt for a quick pull back into two-handed wielding.  The best part about this grip is that the button ends up being right at my pinky and it is super easy to turn on ad off (maybe too easy since I turned it off in practice and didn't realize :/)

For those reading my review, I apologize for it being a tad bit all over the place.  It might be a super biased review because I am so blinded by love but I really cannot recommend this hilt more to anyone who wants a little bit of diversity.  It is pretty expensive for a first time but I regret nothing and I am actively saving up to buy a second so I can both duel wield and staff wield two monarchs.  Also, if anyone is interested or might get the reference, my saber's name is Hotspur (or Percy when he isn't actively battling and being a little rebellious monster <3)

My Monarch next to whatever the hell saber my mate got along with the extension he can't use because it's a V2.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »

Interesting to hear your take as a non-fan, just someone who's fallen for a lightsabre anyway Cheesy

I've recently gained a Monarch myself, and I'm quite taken with it as well, perhaps not as much as you, but I think it's appearance is somewhat deceiving; I'd expected the broader section around the activation switch to be much too wide to grip comfortably, but I find it a good fit for me. I don't know that I'd ever buy a second Monarch, but I'm pleased to have the one I do.

Oh, and your buddy's got an Aeon v2, for what it's worth Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:06:58 AM »

Nice. Something different. I might still get me one but who knows of what version and which color like always Tongue What's actually funny is that the upper grip kind of reminds me of one of my real wooden wands I have (Harry Potter stuff) Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:27 AM »

It's funny for me because I stumbled upon your youtube video before seeing your review on the forums lol.  I really enjoyed your story and I am very happy that you found a use and purpose to own and enjoy a lightsaber.  I hope it serves you well for a long time to come. 

Once you get a chance to watch a few of the movies and digest how you felt about them I'd be interested to hear you opinion and thoughts on the films.  It's not often we hear a fresh perspective on the SW universe.  A different topic for another day Cheesy 

Congrats!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »

Congrats!! You don't see many Monarchs around, but your one looks great, thanks for sharing, have a point.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:41 AM »

In case anyone is curious, I stumbled upon an epic deal.  A good friend of mine purchased a saber a few years ago with her boyfriend when she joined the group where she lives.  She has broken up with that boyfriend and is selling her saber and the free one she got with it.  Turns out, it's a chrome monarch in adegan sivler!  It is absolutely perfect and I am so excited to be getting this wonderful 'gift' (my mate is buying them both and the Monarch is my late V-Day present). 

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:08 AM »

Welcome to the saber world! XD You better get on with watching the films now Tongue
That was a great review, except that between you and Isola with his own monarch review I am feeling too tempted to get one =( Probably the Dark Monarch though, it looks so awesome! (didn't know it looked that cool in adegan silver).

Points for you!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:28:57 AM »

Welcome to the saber world! XD You better get on with watching the films now Tongue
That was a great review, except that between you and Isola with his own monarch review I am feeling too tempted to get one =( Probably the Dark Monarch though, it looks so awesome! (didn't know it looked that cool in adegan silver).

Points for you!

Dooooooooo ittttttttt!  It is totally worth it.  5 Months later and I am still so in love.  (Still haven't seen any of the films though... my bestie said she wanted to watch them all with me and we haven't had the time.  I did see Rogue One, though)

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:23:37 AM »

I got my second Monarch today!  It was purchased second hand and came with a sound board so I had to wait until our Saber Engineer removed the sound before I got to see her.  But I staffed my Monarchs and it is SO HUGE!!!  It had 36" blades so when I staff them in the future I will drop down to a 32 or 24.  But it is super heavy and I love it so much EEEEEEEEP.  My phone isn't uploading pictures and I can't connect it to the computer for some reason but as soon as I can I will take pictures of it staffed and post them Cheesy

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »

A Monarch staff wow that is big. They aren't the lightest hilts either, that's going to be one tough weapon.
I love my Monarch, wish it was nickel plated, but hey it was a prize.  I never thought in a million years I would have liked it. Now I want the dark one.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »

Pictures!  In these you can see my Monarchs separate and staffed, as well as how tall it is.  I switched the blades out to 32" but it is still super tall!

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »

It makes a much larger staff than you would think!

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »

I like to see both monarchs side by side, but for my tastes the dark monarch has a slight edge on looks.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

theAfanc
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »

I like to see both monarchs side by side, but for my tastes the dark monarch has a slight edge on looks.

I agree with that.  I do love my new chrome, but I am still so smitten with my Dark <3

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

In case anyone is curious, I stumbled upon an epic deal.  A good friend of mine purchased a saber a few years ago with her boyfriend when she joined the group where she lives.  She has broken up with that boyfriend and is selling her saber and the free one she got with it.  Turns out, it's a chrome monarch in adegan sivler!  It is absolutely perfect and I am so excited to be getting this wonderful 'gift' (my mate is buying them both and the Monarch is my late V-Day present). 
   Congrats.  You are gonna love this saber.  point.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel