Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian SB DIY Question  (Read 2633 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: September 29, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »

Quick question regarding the Obsidian SB you can buy in the store:

https://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-sound-obsidianusb.htm

Sorry if this has been asked before but, needless to say, searching this forum for "Obsidian" will turn up a lot of results.  Wink

If I buy one of those boards in the V4 option, does it come with the same fonts pre-loaded onto it that buying a saber with it does?  Or does it come "blank" and you have to add the fonts yourself?

The reason I ask is this:  I don't have a computer capable of running the software and interfacing with that board.  My computers run desktop Linux.  While I may (and this is an outside chance) be able to get the Obsidian Launcher to work, it would be a pill and involve a lot of steps.  So, if that board comes with fonts already, that would be super.  I know a lot of people have done sound upgrades to stunts, which is actually something I'm looking into, which is why I have this question.  Cool

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »

Good question. 

I'd like to know that answer as well.  Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »

I plugged my Electrum Wind into my computer (turned on, of course) and it didn't even regster as a storage device.  So, I'd imagine you need the driver that comes with the software.  Drivers and USB devices can be tricky to set up in WINE, the compatibility software that makes Windows software run on Linux.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »

The sound board (and the Emerald Driver) aren't storage devices. They will be recognized by Windows as a HID device and Windows will install its own HID device driver. So there's no special driver delivered with the UltraSabers Launcher to communicate with the saber. However, depending on the OS version (from Win 8 to 10) you may encounter more or less serious connection problems, mainly because the HID driver is different from the Win 7 version and because USB 3 is not supported to 100%. So prepare for this and get a USB 2.0 hub, just in case...this works for many people who had these problems.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:52:13 PM »

Well, maybe I'll try the software with WINE and see what happens.  I have mainly 2.0 ports my computer.  The only 3.0 ports I have are in the back and not ones I will be using for this.

Still wondering if anyone has an answer for my original question. Smiley

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »

Well, maybe I'll try the software with WINE and see what happens.  I have mainly 2.0 ports my computer.  The only 3.0 ports I have are in the back and not ones I will be using for this.

Still wondering if anyone has an answer for my original question. Smiley
I just emailed US to find out. Smiley

standby...

Edit: The V4 boards do in fact come pre-loaded with the fonts. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:01:32 AM »

Sweet!  Thanks LR!  Have a point.

I definitely want to try at least one sound upgrade.  I could probably buy one for around the same price, but I like a good challenge.  Besides, my Aeon LE V4 is gorgeous and I would love to have sound in it.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:19:16 AM »

Sweet!  Thanks LR!  Have a point.

I definitely want to try at least one sound upgrade.  I could probably buy one for around the same price, but I like a good challenge.  Besides, my Aeon LE V4 is gorgeous and I would love to have sound in it.
I'll be upgrading my Dark Catalyst to V4 sound, just as soon as funds allow.  Tongue

There's my interest in this particular topic. Smiley

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:29:13 AM »

I haven't soldered in over 20 years, so I want to start by building a stunt.  Then I want to try the sound thing.  I was just curious about this as an "on down the road" kind of thing.  Smiley

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »

Well, it came as absolutely no surprise to me, but the Obsidian software doesn't work under Linux with WINE, at least not in its default configuration.  It doesn't detect my Electrum Wind at all.  WINE doesn't handle USB devices well at all.  In fact, I think it still doesn't have USB support "out of the box."  I've tried patching the WINE source code with a USB patch and then compiling the software in the past (huge pain) and it still didn't work as intended.  But, I didn't know for sure until I tried.

So, it's a huge relief to me that these boards come from UltraSabers preloaded with fonts.  I can now do a DIY upgrade without worrying about paying $135 for a V4 board and then not hearing anything when I turn it on.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: