Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question to masters of the 7 forms ... the salute  (Read 1996 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: October 01, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »

Reading the blog of Master Uilos, i have question about Salute. So i start this topic to not make topic pollution.

In most of the weapon based martial art, there is salute. And sometimes it can be complexe one like the old ceremonial salute in France (like on this video from Claude Carliez) :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjy5w_CRkc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjy5w_CRkc</a>

So, what about lightsaber in SW. Obi wan said, in ep. IV that lightsaber was "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age" ... I am wondering if there is a salute.

Do someone have answer about that?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Maestro
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »

not officially.
in life and death situations the jedi aren't concerned with etiquette, the sith even less so.
Dooku snapped yoda a mocking salute before their duel in ep II, but
this wasn't returned and was obviously contemptuous.
During tournaments at the jedi temple some jedi would salute, but mostly
the literature depicts them simply bowing.
In most of the saber combat clubs a simple bow or salute is used.
The most complex bowing protocol ive seen is in the saber legion where they
have some excessively complex bows that change depending on whether
you self identify as jedi or sith. they even have shortened versions of these for unofficial
times, but they are still excessively complex and elaborate compared to a simple bow or flourishing salute.
Really all you need is something by way of acknowledgement expressing that
"we are about to begin/end, this isn't personal, I respect/honor you, no hard feelings."

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »

not officially.
in life and death situations the jedi aren't concerned with etiquette, the sith even less so.
Dooku snapped yoda a mocking salute before their duel in ep II, but
this wasn't returned and was obviously contemptuous.
During tournaments at the jedi temple some jedi would salute, but mostly
the literature depicts them simply bowing.
In most of the saber combat clubs a simple bow or salute is used.
The most complex bowing protocol ive seen is in the saber legion where they
have some excessively complex bows that change depending on whether
you self identify as jedi or sith. they even have shortened versions of these for unofficial
times, but they are still excessively complex and elaborate compared to a simple bow or flourishing salute.
Really all you need is something by way of acknowledgement expressing that
"we are about to begin/end, this isn't personal, I respect/honor you, no hard feelings."

Ok, thanks for this post. I was not sure about Jedi and Etiquette as they are knight and Lucas designed them based on Samurai ...  but it seems that i was wrong Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »

With our use of saber combat, the etiquette element can definitely have much more of a presence (since we're dealing with more of a sport or martial art, which typically has elements of honor and sportsmanship).  Many of our learners utilize Makashi-like salutes prior to their demonstrations, and I generally use them when dueling.  It's a habit as a fencer - in fencing, saluting the opponent and referee is actually required, and failure to do so can get you removed from the event.

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »

In historical european traditions, there is the salute and the flourish. The salute serves as a greeting and formal acknowledgement of the opponent and the beginning of the fight.
The flourish is a show-off, a way to say "You really wanna mess with me?", a series of techniques performed before the audience in the Fechtschule, sometimes even required in the respective rules.

Our salute is a short lifiting of the blade in front of the face to signal the beginning and the end of the fight. Some combine a bow to that, some don't - it is more of a safety-thing, as the fight doesn't start before both opponents have given the salute and are therefore aware that they are now to be attacked.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »

In canne we make the salute by executing two of the six codified attack. We salute the opponent but not the judge (because the origins were street fighting ... so no judge Wink )

When practicing lightsaber, every one makes the salute of his/her former martial art or, if not martial artist, they make a personal salute ...

... but i was wondering if it exists a codified salute in the SWU

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »

In canne we make the salute by executing two of the six codified attack. We salute the opponent but not the judge (because the origins were street fighting ... so no judge Wink )

When practicing lightsaber, every one makes the salute of his/her former martial art or, if not martial artist, they make a personal salute ...

... but i was wondering if it exists a codified salute in the SWU

The flashy one used by Dooku is the only one I know of, and it's clearly a reference to fencing traditions (since the character is based on that old school fencing archetype).  I use a less dramatic one, since that's more my style, but generally I like the idea that anyone can do their own kind of thing.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »

The flashy one used by Dooku is the only one I know of, and it's clearly a reference to fencing traditions (since the character is based on that old school fencing archetype).  I use a less dramatic one, since that's more my style, but generally I like the idea that anyone can do their own kind of thing.

Ok for Dooku Wink

I like the one we made in canne because when using luminous light saber it is really REALLY swank  Grin

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »

Acrtually, there is an argument for some form of salute, albeit it is very informal. Most of the duels we see in the films begin with the opponents addressing each other verbally or non-verbally and then drawing their sabers. Examples of random attacks include Maul vs Dooku on Tattoine. That's really it. This generally goes for fellow lightsaber wielders, so there is some sort of unspoken cadence in how to open up a duel.

Dooku, surprising no one, is the only one openly saluting anyone. To be taken a certain way, it can be seen as the classical duelist making the implicit behavior explicit.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »

Jin + Kenobi Vs Maul
Windu Vs Palpatine
Yoda Vs Palpatine
Kenobi Vs Vader (1)
Kenobi Vs Vader (2)
Son Vs Father (1)
Son Vs Father (2)

You are right, most of them (not all) have "philosophical discussion" before ... but no "martial" salute

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »

Right. Though I'd call it "less formalized" that is structured very loosely:

- declaration of intent
- presentation of arms
- engagement

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:14:29 PM »

Do not forget very wonderful music with sanskrit lyrics "Duel of the Fates" Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: