Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guarded Switch Detach and Replacing?  (Read 1426 times)
Yarginshnarg
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »

Hey all! I've got a few noob questions about electrical wiring that I was hoping y'all could clear up for me. First off, how do I remove the guarded switch from my Ultrasaber? I'd like to do some customizing but need the switch off to do so. Second, how do I either re-attach the old guarded switch or install a new latching switch? I don't know much about electrical engineering and wring, plus I'm currently at college and am not sure if I can get a soldering iron. Would there be a cheap one at The Home Depot? There's one in town. If I can't solder, would it be possible to just strip the wires down a bit, wrap the metal around each other, and then use electric tape to cover them up?

Thanks in advance!

Aeon LE V2 GB
The Guardian CG
Dark Initiate SY

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »

I believe the guarded switch type is just a press-fit type, so a little careful prying should bring it loose.

Wiring is not my thing, but I wouldnt be all that comfortable with just twisted together wire and tape as anything but a test/temporary thing.

Exilium
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -34

I am neither light nor dark

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »

I ended up having to unscrew my switch. I then bought a new switch from ebay and had to frill the hole out and make it wider. I really dont know of any cheap home depot type items but i could be wrong.

Feel the Force within you!
~Apprentice LE v4 - Tri Green
~Prophecy v3 - RGBW Emerald Driver

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »

I guess it depends how cheap 'cheap' is, but I bought my soldering iron etc. for about £15-20 from memory - about $20-30. You don't need anything very powerful for the sort of wiring work you'll do on an Ultrasaber.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »

When upgrading my Initiate V2 and my Liberator I replaced the latching switches with those momentary ones: Miyama DS-260

I just had to file off the threading a bit (done in a minute) and after that installation itself was a breeze.

(As far as I know Miyama DS-258 is the latching version.)

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »

Hi.  Lord Canterbury did a video ? and pics about twisting two wires together and then covering with heat shrink.  Looked really easy to do.  Hopefully someone else can find it and embed here as computer skills still lacking on my end.  Smiley

Make sure to put some protective tape around the switch first so that you don't scuff up the hilt when popping/prying the plastic ring off.  Be gentle and ease it off if not replacing as the plastic can chip.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: