Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Canon Info on Kyber Crystals  (Read 32820 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:34 AM »

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!    This info comes from the new book, Ahsoka.  Read on if you aren't worried about spoilers and please, no "I hate this, Disney Sucks!" comments.  

Kyber Crystals choose or sing out to their owners through a connection in the Force.  Apparently, only the chosen of the crystal could find it..anyone else would walk right past it (on Ilum).  After obtaining the crystal it would then take on its hue.   This really isn't new info...but now we get to the Sith Side.  Kyber Crystals are inherently attuned to the Light Side, so a Dark Side user is incapable of mining their own crystal.  They take them from Jedi.  The Darksider then forces the crystal to bend to their will...hurting the crystal in a process called "Bleeding"...hence the Red Hue.   But, the crystals are capable of being "healed".  Ahsoka faces her first Inquisitor, The Sixth Brother, and hears his crystals calling to her.  During the fight she manged to make the Spin Saber explode, maiming and killing the Inquisitor.  From the wreckage she took the crystals and put them in her newly constructed hilts...and they became White.    This info has lead me to a theory about Kylo's crystal.  We know Kylo has a lot of power but not much control of his anger...perhaps when he was bending the crystal to his will...he overdid it and it cracked, leading him to adopt the Cross Hilt design out of necessity.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:21:24 AM »

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!    This info comes from the new book, Ahsoka.  Read on if you aren't worried about spoilers and please, no "I hate this, Disney Sucks!" comments.  

Kyber Crystals choose or sing out to their owners through a connection in the Force.  Apparently, only the chosen of the crystal could find it..anyone else would walk right past it (on Ilum).  After obtaining the crystal it would then take on its hue.   This really isn't new info...but now we get to the Sith Side.  Kyber Crystals are inherently attuned to the Light Side, so a Dark Side user is incapable of mining their own crystal.  They take them from Jedi.  The Darksider then forces the crystal to bend to their will...hurting the crystal in a process called "Bleeding"...hence the Red Hue.   But, the crystals are capable of being "healed".  Ahsoka faces her first Inquisitor, The Sixth Brother, and hears his crystals calling to her.  During the fight she manged to make the Spin Saber explode, maiming and killing the Inquisitor.  From the wreckage she took the crystals and put them in her newly constructed hilts...and they became White.    This info has lead me to a theory about Kylo's crystal.  We know Kylo has a lot of power but not much control of his anger...perhaps when he was bending the crystal to his will...he overdid it and it cracked, leading him to adopt the Cross Hilt design out of necessity.
I like this.  Very cool stuff.

-1 DS point for your insight

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »

I am wondering if this can relate to Ezra Bridger's lightsaber being green this season.  While he might have gotten a new crystal in the six or some months between seasons, it is also possible he savaged his original crystal (which produced a blue blade back then).   But if a crystal can be made to change colors, than Erza could be using the same crystal for both sabers.

Still unclear were Luke's green saber's crystal came from in the current canon.  If could be one he finds.  It could be Qui-Gon's, saved by Obi-wan.  It could be Ezra's, handed over at some later date.  It appears it is no longer a synthetic crystal as that is no longer a thing.

While it may be unnecessary to the plot, one has to wonder about both Obi-wan and Anakin's crystals (also Qui-Gon's as it might be relevant)   Obi-wan lost his first known crystal on Naboo.  He likely didn't recover it.  He took Qui-Gon's saber.  Ten years later, Obi-wan has a saber that resembles the one he had on Naboo, and it has a blue blade.  Anakin has a new saber with a blue blade.  Qui-Gon's saber is not seen again.  It might be with Obi-wan, it might have been discarded some how.   It is possible it became Luke's.   But back to Obi-wan and Anakin.  Both lose their sabers at Geonosis.  Obi-wan's is confiscated and likely not recovered.  Anakin's is chopped, but the crystal might have been recovered.  Might.   In the Clone Wars, these two have new lightsabers that will continue to exist for several decades.  Did they go back to Illum for more crystals?  Do the Jedi have a stock of them for emergencies?  Did they just recover a crystal that spoke to them from the lightsabers of one of the many fallen Jedi on Geonosis?  One of those is calling to Rey.   The other is "lost" following the death of Kenobi.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »

I am wondering if this can relate to Ezra Bridger's lightsaber being green this season.  While he might have gotten a new crystal in the six or some months between seasons, it is also possible he savaged his original crystal (which produced a blue blade back then).   But if a crystal can be made to change colors, than Erza could be using the same crystal for both sabers.

Still unclear were Luke's green saber's crystal came from in the current canon.  If could be one he finds.  It could be Qui-Gon's, saved by Obi-wan.  It could be Ezra's, handed over at some later date.  It appears it is no longer a synthetic crystal as that is no longer a thing.

While it may be unnecessary to the plot, one has to wonder about both Obi-wan and Anakin's crystals (also Qui-Gon's as it might be relevant)   Obi-wan lost his first known crystal on Naboo.  He likely didn't recover it.  He took Qui-Gon's saber.  Ten years later, Obi-wan has a saber that resembles the one he had on Naboo, and it has a blue blade.  Anakin has a new saber with a blue blade.  Qui-Gon's saber is not seen again.  It might be with Obi-wan, it might have been discarded some how.   It is possible it became Luke's.   But back to Obi-wan and Anakin.  Both lose their sabers at Geonosis.  Obi-wan's is confiscated and likely not recovered.  Anakin's is chopped, but the crystal might have been recovered.  Might.   In the Clone Wars, these two have new lightsabers that will continue to exist for several decades.  Did they go back to Illum for more crystals?  Do the Jedi have a stock of them for emergencies?  Did they just recover a crystal that spoke to them from the lightsabers of one of the many fallen Jedi on Geonosis?  One of those is calling to Rey.   The other is "lost" following the death of Kenobi.

The new Canon has it that all crystals are colorless, and they take on the color based on the Force alignment/skillset of the owner. Once the crystal is that color, it stays that color, with the exception being a Dark Side crystal.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31861.0

Also, remember, that at the time of Episodes 1 and 2, the Ilum caves were still very much under the control of the Jedi, so getting a new crystal would have been fairly easy.

As for Ezra's loghtsaber...merchandising.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »

As Landen said, at the time of the prequels obtaining a New Kyber Crystal was rather easy.  Ahsoka speaks of going back to Ilum to 3 times; Once for her first saber, again for a crystal for her offhand saber when she switched to dual wielding and then with Younglings for their trial.  Ilum of course is not the only planet that has Kyber Crystals, just the most plentiful.  Apparently, synthetic Kyber Crystals are canon as they were introduced in the mobile game Star Wars: Uprising. But were not used in lightsabers (from what I can tell) and were black market items.   They take on a green hue instead of white and are very unstable and tend to explode. 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »

In the book The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, it tells us that Luke created his own green synthetic crystal.  I don't think this book is canon anymore, but it might be.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Exilium
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -34

I am neither light nor dark

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

Thank you for the Kyber lesson!  Grin

Feel the Force within you!
~Apprentice LE v4 - Tri Green
~Prophecy v3 - RGBW Emerald Driver

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »

So what is the difference between Kyber crystals and Adegan crystals, or is there one?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:50:22 AM »

So what is the difference between Kyber crystals and Adegan crystals, or is there one?

The difference is Adegan Crystals are no longer Canon.   

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »

It could be worse.  The Jedi could be led to their crystals by magically imbued crickets who talk and sing to them.  (after all, it's Disney)

Seriously, I take all of this "canon" crap with a grain of salt.  If Disney wants to make this the "canon" explanation for stuff, so be it.  That's their prerogative as they own the property now.  It's not like it was ever explained in the movies anyway.   I wonder if power crystals and multi crystal hilts exist in the new Disney canon.

However, I personally still prefer the old version, with natural crystals of various colors just sitting in caves waiting to be discovered, and Sith taking the quick and easy path by just baking a crystal in their labs, as opposed to going out into the wilds to find one.  So, I may just choose to ignore whatever "canon" information they decide to release on these things, because I can.

People have an easier time pronouncing Kyber, so it became canon and Adegan was dropped. Tongue (I don't know that for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that simple)

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »

It could be worse.  The Jedi could be led to their crystals by magically imbued crickets who talk and sing to them.  (after all, it's Disney)...

...I wonder if power crystals and multi crystal hilts exist in the new Disney canon.

LOL! Have your 550th point.

Heir to the Jedi, a Disney canon book, has a lightsaber with 3 amethyst kyber crystals that make one blade.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »

Does anyone know what the difference was before they became no longer canon?

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »

Does anyone know what the difference was before they became no longer canon?

In EU, Synthetic red crystals were the usual for Sith. Also, there were Sith alchemy methods of purifying crystals to supposedly make sabers that burn hotter etc. Ilum was the usual source for kyber crystals for Jedi. Palpatine put Ilum under guard, so Luke sometimes had to use other things as crystals. Color was either because of the color of the crystal found, item used as a crystal or due to meditation changing the color, depending on the story you read. Color from meditation could mean something about the saber maker. Video games have options for other kinds of crystals that will have differing affects on character abilities, so a lot of people want there to be power crystals etc.

DC wiped out all but the 6 movies and The Clone Wars cg cartoon series. There are DC books and stories since their purchase, which tell us how they are doing things now. Just kyber crystals. Red is due to a dark sider subduing the crystal to their will. Ahsoka fixed a couple crystals that became white. Crystals call to a particular Jedi in the Force. Heir to the Jedi demonstrates there may be more than one and that sabers may have a will of their own to a degree that makes it difficult to use it. Kylo uses a cracked crystal with excess energy that has to be vented in his quillons.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 04:21:26 AM »

Heir to the Jedi, a Disney canon book, has a lightsaber with 3 amethyst kyber crystals that make one blade.

Well, that answers the multi crystal question.  Thanks for that.  Does it say what the benefits are?  In the old EU, multiple crystals allowed one to manipulate the blade, change its size and energy level, which couldn't be done with a single crystal.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 04:24:16 AM »

Well, that answers the multi crystal question.  Thanks for that.  Does it say what the benefits are?  In the old EU, multiple crystals allowed one to manipulate the blade, change its size and energy level, which couldn't be done with a single crystal.

No, no info on it in terms of what it did for it.  It was a Saber from a Jedi killed during Order 66, it gave luke a chance to look at then internal workings of a saber.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: