Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Canon Info on Kyber Crystals  (Read 32864 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »

Ah, OK.  Thanks for answering that, Darth Tepes.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 04:59:45 AM »

Farmboy managed to break it.  Though it does provide a potential source for his own lightsaber crystal.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 05:15:31 AM »

Farmboy managed to break it.  Though it does provide a potential source for his own lightsaber crystal.

If his meditation changes the amethyst to green, it could be DC's way of answering that question. But, we'd be back to saying why did it not like him, then turn green and like him. How is Luke's meditating to change it green and cooperative different than a Sith's dominating a crystal to their will and making it red?

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 05:25:16 AM »

If his meditation changes the amethyst to green, it could be DC's way of answering that question. But, we'd be back to saying why did it not like him, then turn green and like him. How is Luke's meditating to change it green and cooperative different than a Sith's dominating a crystal to their will and making it red?

Its the difference between doing something because you want to vs being forced to do it.  Big difference. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »

While we do not yet have canon reasons for any particular Jedi to have any particular color (other than Ahsoka for her white blades, since that book is the only source for reasons behind the Sith blades being red and Ahsoka's blades being white), we know how a lightsaber is made in the present canon.  This might be expanded on someday.  Maybe they'll ponder it if and when Rey makes her own lightsaber, though they have not presented anything for when anyone else had made theirs, such as Ezra and him now having two different blade colors, or Ahsoka's two different greens in TCW.   Even in the episode were we have younglings making lightsabers, the subject of color does not come up.  They just have blue or green lightsabers, all from a crystal that is the same color as ice on Illum.

There are many theories, but no proof in the present canon.  However, the writers and Story Group do use a lot of the old lore from time to time to inform their writing an decision process.  The reason we have a specific reason for Sith blades being red is because it becomes a plot point for why Ahsoka has white blades which was not only an unusual color, but also a frequently asked question.   Purple is the other rare color that does not have a canon answer for existing, but now has more than one user.   Yellow seems to be specific to the Jedi Temple Guards, but for what reason is not known, nor why Ahsoka's shoto was closer to yellow than green.

There are of course game related answers, though most of those are there so the player can have a class to play or a prize to swap out of their lightsaber.  Things you don't really see in Star Wars at all.  Even if Ultrasabers uses those gaming color names for its colors, they are not in the canon specifically because they do not reflect what we've seen.  Would anyone assume that Ahsoka or Ezra are a Councilor of old with green blades?

The old theory was that blue was for the more warrior-defender like Jedi.  Green was for the wiser or introspective Jedi.  Yellow was for the justice seekers (which seems to still be the case as all we have are the Temple Guards).  Red was Dark Siders (still the case).  Orange is unclear (I don't recall seeing one of these in the present canon, but it still comes up so there must be one somewhere), and purple was for someone dangerously balancing the light and dark sides of the Force, based entirely on Mace Windu and the idea that if you mix blue and red you get purple.

Presently, given how things are presented, I would gather that the EM Spectrum might show a better relation to how a Jedi or Sith is in the Force when the ligthsaber was created.  This would put purple at the farthest end away from red, which would be an interesting take of Windu, and present a different reason for him to be the one who could possibly best Palpatine, as he was the only one as deep into the light side as Palpatine was in to the dark side.  Blue being more common would be the regular lightside color, with green being for those that have understanding of the dark side in the Force.  Yellow being for those that attempt to balance the light and the dark for the sake of justice.  The trouble there is that they could be corrupted easier as the argument could be shifted as to what justice means.  Thus the Temple Guards could be swayed to the Dark Side if justice was being served.   I don't know for Orange since I've not seen who has one in the current canon.  Red of course is the Dark Siders, and the given reason of that is domination of the crystal, but also the stated goal is the bring order to the galaxy.  Regimented order were everything is defined and in its place.  Not more chaotic elements, just a orderly, regimented society.   I can buy that all dark siders blades would be more or less the same color of red as it is orderly and regimented.  The process of making the crystals orderly light be seen by a Jedi as dominating it and "bleeding" it as it turns red, but to a Sith, perhaps that is just ordering the facets to the most regimented way, and it always comes out red since before the days of Darth Bane.  It could be the most efficient pattern for a kyber crystal, which is why a Sith blade is always red.  It is not in harmony with the Force, but the Sith don't seem to believe is such a thing.

Though they believe in destiny.  The Will of the Force I somehow remember Palpatine mentioning, but I can't place where.

The outlier is still the Darksaber.  No clue to what is in it at this point in time.  Only that it is an extremely old lightsaber, and defies the laws of physics more so than a lightsaber usually does.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »

See, this is why the Shadows of the Empire explanation is so much easier.  In Shadows of the Empire, he simply baked a synthetic crystal in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut on Tatooine.  Simple.  The crystal didn't have to like him, no meditation to make it green, it was simply the ingredients he used in the synthetic crystal that made it that color.  Why does everything have to be magic with Disney?  Roll Eyes

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 01:51:02 PM »

See, this is why the Shadows of the Empire explanation is so much easier.  In Shadows of the Empire, he simply baked a synthetic crystal in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut on Tatooine.  Simple.  The crystal didn't have to like him, no meditation to make it green, it was simply the ingredients he used in the synthetic crystal that made it that color.  Why does everything have to be magic with Disney?  Roll Eyes

We're assuming a lot right now.  We see in the comics and the ONE books we have about luke that he is using Obi-Wan's journal to find Jedi relics and sites.  For all we know between ESB and ROTJ Luke mined his own Crystal, just have to wait and see.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »

We're assuming a lot right now.  We see in the comics and the ONE books we have about luke that he is using Obi-Wan's journal to find Jedi relics and sites.  For all we know between ESB and ROTJ Luke mined his own Crystal, just have to wait and see.

Ah, I see.  I wasn't sure how complete the information is that's available.  I really need to pick up some of the newer Star Wars stuff and read it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »

Ah, I see.  I wasn't sure how complete the information is that's available.  I really need to pick up some of the newer Star Wars stuff and read it.

As of right now most of the Luke info is what happened between ANH and Empire from the comics.  Him finding Jedi sites and Relics, facing a Saber Wielding Storm Trooper etc.   Eventually the comics will go past Empire and we will get more on the Green Saber im sure.  I also assume they are waiting for Ep. 8 to revel more of what Luke did between 6 and 7.  His stories are being really kept under wraps

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

See, this is why the Shadows of the Empire explanation is so much easier.  In Shadows of the Empire, he simply baked a synthetic crystal in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut on Tatooine.  Simple.  The crystal didn't have to like him, no meditation to make it green, it was simply the ingredients he used in the synthetic crystal that made it that color.  Why does everything have to be magic with Disney?  Roll Eyes

Because the Force has been magic from day one from Lucas?  Making it sound science-y doesn't make it less magic.  At no point it time was it ever considered to be "significally advanced science to no different from magic",  it was always magic and there was always mysticism.  That is the nature of fantasy even when you make it science fantasy.  Hyperdrives, blasters, speeders and the like are "significally advanced science".  The Force is not.  That's still magic, even to those who live in that universe.

The lightsaber has changed from being the common laser sword weapon of everyone in the early drafts (what is now the thermal detonator on the stormtroopers was originally their laser swords) , to being the special weapon of the Jedi and Sith.  In that change it has become more legendary, and thus more mystical.  It entirely fits to style of the storytelling.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »

Sure, the Force is magical and I never had an issue with that. (no midichlorians Roll Eyes)  However, the crystals were just that before, crystal.  The new version makes them sound more like living beings.  It just sounds needlessly complex to me, much more so than just choosing a crystal and going from there.  But, whatever.  It's their property, they can change whatever they want.  (a fact some people don't seem to understand)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 04:50:26 PM »

Sure, the Force is magical and I never had an issue with that. (no midichlorians Roll Eyes)  However, the crystals were just that before, crystal.  The new version makes them sound more like living beings.  It just sounds needlessly complex to me, much more so than just choosing a crystal and going from there.  But, whatever.  It's their property, they can change whatever they want.  (a fact some people don't seem to understand)

Even in the Legends Canon Crystals were more than just things....from Kyle Katarn's apprentice

"The crystal is not, by itself, the power source of the weapon. Like the Force user, the crystal is attuned to the Force. Without that attunement, the crystal is just a rock. And while a non-Force user could probably ignite and wield a lightsaber, provided the crystal was properly attuned to the Force, all that lightsaber would be for him is a shaft of superheated plasma. But for a Jedi, the lightsaber becomes more: it is a manifestation of a Jedi's connection to the Force." -Jaden Korr

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »

Apperantly in the old EU, the original crystal used the kaiburr crystal from Splinter of the Mind's Eye was said to augment the Force.. Decades later, shards of the original large crystal were being used in Luke's students lightsabers, Leia's lightsaber, and Lumiya's lightwhip.  These would be the primary focusing lightsaber crystals of the New Jedi Order.

Kiber Crystals were there from the early drafts of Star Wars as a means of collecting and focusing the Force.  It would have been a McGuffin of the story and was removed as it would take too much away from the story of Skywalker and Vader.  Lucas eventually got back around to putting them back in with TCW "The Gathering".

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 03:28:16 AM »

Yeah, the Kaiburr crystal was a power crystal.  The search for it was the focus of an earlier draft of the first film.  Alan Dean Foster used George Lucas' early idea as the basis for what would have been a low budget sequel, had Star Wars been a flop.  When it wasn't, George let him write the novel. (great novel, by the way)

The crystal could enhance one's abilities in the Force, as many crystals and other talismans can in Star Wars EU stories.  Though, most tend to work for any Jedi or Sith who possess them.  In fact, both Luke and Vader wanted to possess the Kaiburr crystal.  Luke wanted to enhance his understanding of the Force and Vader wanted power.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 02:17:33 AM »

What other planets are crystals taken from beside Ilum, and where are they in relation to major planets like Coruscant or Naboo? I know there are some, but I don't know which ones they are.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: