Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick-Release Coupler: Does the swiveling on it make it bad for contact?  (Read 5892 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »

Well you do have to press and release so how good is your grip ?  Wink  Could be a tad fiddly at first until you get more coordinated with those motions.  Wouldn't hurt to send a PM to Deep/Emory for his opinion about this as safety for everyone is the utmost of importance. Also you could at first contact him at info@ultrasabers.com .

Here's a ls point to get you started.  Smiley

BadDeacon
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

Hey BadDeacon.  Not to change the subject but noticed that you have 5 light side points in spite of your " Not a Jedi " in signature.  Will request that the members help me change this to 5 dark side appreciation points.  Smiley
I'm also no Sith, so... :/

I'm in the "they're both flawed" camp. Probably more light than dark though. "GoodDeacon" doesn't sound as cool though.

Not a Jedi.

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »

As far as I can tell from the videos, the mechanism behind it works by pulling it open, then removing the piece. This is why I'm worried about the centrifugal force...

BadDeacon
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »

As far as I can tell from the videos, the mechanism behind it works by pulling it open, then removing the piece. This is why I'm worried about the centrifugal force...
It is spring loaded, which keeps the sliding collar in place and the two halves locked together. From my little tinkering, there is no way centrifugal force alone could move the collar piece. It is a lot like a compressed air hose fitting, if you are at all familiar with that.

Edit: I see you asked about it as a grip joint. If you are gripping it on the sliding collar only, then there is a chance the weight of the saber could make it slip. In most cases, I would think the other side of the staff would balance out those forces though.

Not a Jedi.

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »

I was talking about the centrifugal force exerted on the staff heads possibly pulling them apart if the coupler slips.

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 23

temple guards

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 06:51:52 AM »

The spring load is quite strong u have to be making an effort to separate them they have done it really well

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »

I have the quick release coupler and I've no reason to doubt its strength.

As a grip point... Yes, I could see that happening if you're flinging the staff around fast, but with fire at either end I'd be surprised if you're going that fast Shocked

Still, unless you specifically want the quick release option as part of your display, getting one of the standard couplers may be best; The fewer variables you have to deal with, the better.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »

I've said it other posts and I will say it again here.  I understand this is a forum of discussion, but its a little nerve racking when fighting with the Quick Release coupler is being discussed by users that have never fought with them...

Take it from someone that has fought with them, it's freaking awesome.  It completely changes the way you can use your double bladed lightsabers.  Take it from someone that has gotten tons of feedback from customers at conventions and via email that have fought with them and that I have seen perform and choreograph combat with them, they LOVE them.

The Quick Release Coupler is probably one of the most exciting things to be added to the Ultrasabers arsenal in a long time.

These concerns need to be put to rest permanently.  It's made for combat.  It's adjustable so it makes photographing, costuming, and positioning a dream.  And it's bonafide awesome.  Expect every other sabersmith to follow our lead on this as usual.  Because these things are great. 

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »

Maybe this warrants a sticky/pinned post. good clear title, and definitive answer...

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »

I have no doubt of the coupler's strength, I'm just asking about a very specific use of it where the center of the staff (in this case the coupler) acts as the grip point while the weighted Kevlar ends of the staff are spinning at very high speeds. Not to mention the slight bulge it could give in the center that may disrupt contact spins.

I am definitely excited for the quick release coupler's combat/fight choreography potential, but that isn't what I'm asking about.

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »

And yes, I do want to use it to switch staff modes in the middle of a routine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: