Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts and Miscellaneous Questions about blade based combats  (Read 5362 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

Do not forget the material ... The Roman army had the best material of this time ... (plus superior training, discipline ...). They also had military engineering of very high level ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »

I'll add my two cents....

FMA is a fantastic example of efficient dual wielding. Typically shorter than your average sword. Yes spears, pikes etc have reach but a good FMA practitioner closes distance while on both offense and defense ( in that order.) FMA teaches flow drills that get your muscle memory to do all the work for you. ( as do all martial arts... ) We have an instructor in our lineage that lives by a quote. " What's your job? To hit your opponent. It's never his turn to go, it's always mine. " Counter fighters hate this quote. If your always waiting for that exact right moment to attack, you've probably already lost the fight. Don't get me wrong, I know some Wing Chun peers that love to test this but even then, most of us prefer a Chun Choy blast to Dum Tek instead waiting for you to attack...

I've seen spear and staff at an extremely high level spar against double stick or double Gayang swords and the dual wield won 8 or 9 out of 10. It wasn't just one group either, across the board. ( Dual Espada or Espada Y Daga are popular with other FMA arts )

That being said, it always come down to how the person trains. Yes, the art is a factor, but how the techniques are personalized and trained is the most important factor.

As my Sijo said all his life  ...  " Using no way as way. Having no limitations as limitation " - Bruce Lee

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: