Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Light Side Star Wars Legacy lightsaber - My first project  (Read 2686 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: November 08, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »

Hello all,

I read a lot of customization topics and now I want to try to make my first project Wink

I am a big fan of the Star Wars Legacy comics and i really love the look of the Sith hilts. For those who do not know these comics, considered hilts have "organic" shapes as we can see in this picture (and no, it is not an excuse to put a picture of Darth Talon Wink ).

For this project, i want to make a kind of light side version of these hilt with a same type of pattern but using "geometric" shapes in Aluminium.

I made a 3D model to illustrate what i want to obtain:

This project is at its very beginning but i have already one question:

Do you think there is a US hilt that i can customize by carving it (I think about a liberator but the depth of the carving will be up to 2 mm) or do you think that i need to machine one by myself (this 2nd solution is possible)?

So, to the Customization Masters ... what do you think about it?

All opinion are welcomed and thanks for your help!!!  Wink

Once the hilt created, if will think about the color and the other things

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »

Great stuff.  That looks really sweet.  Point headed your way, once I can give you another since I gave you one less than an hour ago.  Wink

I don't know anything about carving hilts.  If you can't carve that, you may want to look into 3D printing.  Some of the sites that will do it for a fee and ship it to you are even printing in aluminum these days.  It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  Smiley

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »

Great stuff.  That looks really sweet.  Point headed your way, once I can give you another since I gave you one less than an hour ago.  Wink

I don't know anything about carving hilts.  If you can't carve that, you may want to look into 3D printing.  Some of the sites that will do it for a fee and ship it to you are even printing in aluminum these days.  It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  Smiley

Thanks Wink

I have already tried 3D printing but i think, if i need to make it, that i will try 5 axis milling ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »

Wow, that sounds cool.  Grin

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »

Wow, that sounds cool.  Grin

I am lucky enough to have access to machine with my job;)

The really main issue for me will be the electronic part ... i have a lot of things to learn.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »

Wow Seb!

That will look really cool.  Shocked

Might I suggest milling a Dark hilt.  Most of the anodising will come off in the process, but the remainder would make some great contrast.

I hope you can figure this out. I'd really like to see this.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »

Wow Seb!

That will look really cool.  Shocked

Might I suggest milling a Dark hilt.  Most of the anodising will come off in the process, but the remainder would make some great contrast.

I hope you can figure this out. I'd really like to see this.

Thanks Wink

I have to think about color ... A Dark Hilt will be beautiful but i really like grey Aluminium Hilt with green or blue blade ... but i have to work on the hilt shape and the related issues before

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:58:40 AM »

Wow man!  VERY cool project!! What a wicked design!  That will be all kinds of challenging to machine but I'm sure that's your best bet- mill. 

Holy smokes what a cool idea!  Really looking forward to watching this Smiley

We can help you with the internals, no problem. 

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »

Do you think there is a US hilt that i can customize by carving it (I think about a liberator but the depth of the carving will be up to 2 mm) or do you think that i need to machine one by myself (this 2nd solution is possible)?

I'm not sure whether the choke on the Liberator would interfere with your carving.
Have you considered a regular Standard Issue saber? I don't have one, but I'd guess it could have the proper 'wall size'...

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »

Just a thought but - If you have access to all that equipment, I would honestly just start with a T6 aluminum tube blank.

Why pay for an UltaSaber you are just going to change in such a drastic way?  And if it doesn't go well the first time, you have to buy it again?  Too much risk.

I guess you'd need threading.  Maybe practice on a blank or 2 THEN do it for real on a Standard Issue.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »

Just a thought but - If you have access to all that equipment, I would honestly just start with a T6 aluminum tube blank.

Why pay for an UltaSaber you are just going to change in such a drastic way?  And if it doesn't go well the first time, you have to buy it again?  Too much risk.

I guess you'd need threading.  Maybe practice on a blank or 2 THEN do it for real on a Standard Issue.

I would be because of the already integrated electronic part ... But you are right, it is too much risk from a money point of view.

If i start with Aluminium blank tube, i will have to make the electronic part ... and i do not study this aspect right now. I will read some topic about that quickly Wink

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »

Yeah I say Standard Issue as well for that type of shape plus the walls are thick enough for the carving I think. I have one myself so

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »

Yeah I say Standard Issue as well for that type of shape plus the walls are thick enough for the carving I think. I have one myself so

Thanks Zren ... can you give me the thickness of the walls???

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »

Some news ... i have almost finished the design of my project Light Legacy ...

I just have to measure some internal dimension on my Sentinel to complete the hilt ... but honestly, if someone here has the sketch of the internal geometry of a hilt, it will be more than helpful  Grin

Then, i will have to manufacture the prototype Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: