Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Blade Retention screws  (Read 11807 times)
Wawa
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »

What is the size of the rentention screws?  I like to replace them in my phantom hilts with thumb screws for easier blade changes.

on the CSS site they have thumb screws that are 8-32x3/8" would these fit?

zach skywalker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »

I think they would fit ,but I would ask ultra or deep

Yoda"Try not do or do not"
Luke"You want the imposible"

Saiyanhikari
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »

Although one could just pm Ultra or Deep, having this kind of information and the answer public in a thread is quite useful for anyone else who may have a future inquiry about this same topic. So, just wait for one of them to answer I guess.

Sabers owned:
Obi-Wan Kenobi MR Force FX
Phantom Initiate Adegan Silver (now defunct)
RGB Jedi Shock (being rebuilt by Ultrasabers)
Dark Standard Initiate Red (Dual)

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »

I was gonna ask the same thing, I would like to replace the retention screw with something bigger to customize my saber

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

darth_nogg
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »

I was gonna ask the same thing, I would like to replace the retention screw with something bigger to customize my saber

I had my stepfather do this on my standard issue, though I suggest you be very careful. I've got some wobbliness I can't seem to get rid of (though I did put some thin rubber bands on the blade and stuck it in, it put a damper on it but it's still there somewhat)

However, he also made it so that there was a hole in the blade for the new screw to go into, so I'm not 100% on what's causing the new found wobbliness.

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »

Hole in the blade is a no-no.  Never do that.  That will cause wobbliness.  Rotate the blade so that the screw presses on the blade and it will resolve that.

As for the screw, 8-32 is the correct thread.  As for length, it depends on what Phantom you have.  V1's use a 1/2 inch, and V2's use a headless, so the length doesn't matter as much, but 3/8th might be too short.  I'd suggest just going to your local Ace, Lowes, or HD and try some thumb screws.

darth_nogg
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »

My hole is no longer threaded so I'm not sure that I can get the new screw to indent the blade to keep it in place. However, I have small rubber bands on the bottom of the blade in the saber that covers the hole somewhat and allows me to leave the screw out a little farther while still keeping it tighter in place. I regret not just sending it in because I would have a threaded hole, but I've got it jerry rigged pretty well. It's like back in the day of bouncing PS1 screens, I wanted to have it sent in and fixed, but at the same time I didn't want to be without it for two to three weeks :p

Though next time I'm leaving it to the experts, thanks Ultra Smiley

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »

The hole isn't threaded, so I assume that means the threads are stripped?  No problem, tap it to 10-32, then go grab a 10-32 headless set screw at your local Ace, HD, or Lowes and you're good to go.

Ronin
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -1

Guardian Without Question

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:31 AM »

I have a question that is kind of relevant, basically the Dominix came with both retention screws, one was supposed to be a light-hole thing but I used it as a double peg for double security because I mostly duel with mine. Anyway, about 2 days ago I was tightening the smaller one (the one higher up) with a hex-wrench and all of a sudden the threads on the inside of the screw withered all at once (I wasn't doing it that hard I SWEAR), basically the hex wrench was now just in a hole and wouldn't catch to anything for grip, so I can't take out my blade...

I tried needle nose pliers but eventually the screw just broke in half, still in the hole, I managed to get some of those pieces out, but my blade is still stuck. The larger screw is fine and safe, I just need help with the top one, it's already gone so I'm open to any way to get it and the blade free.  ULTRA, WHAT DO I DO???   

Dominix V2 - R|G|B| -FIXED Cheesy
Prophecy - Consular Green
Light Phantom Initate - Gaurdian Blue (little bro's)

Eternus
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:00:50 AM »

Ronin is it a grub screw or does it have a cap on it? I don't know if it'd be applicable in your case, but if you freeze metal it'll shrink slightly. It may help to get some more if not all of the remaining pieces out.

Dark Side points preferred

Catalyst blazing red
Oppressor guardian blue
Aggressor fire orange
Enforcer sunriders destiny
Bane RGB

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »

Ronin, you're going to have to drill it out.

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »

Yeah it's a headless retention screw...

Ultra, I tried using a dremel tool to carve out the pieces but it only worked to a degree, I'm just afraid that if I drill it I will damage the blade (Heavy grade btw). I did consider drilling, but mostly as a final option... Any extra tips?

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »

I don't want to do anything without Ultra advice...

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:09:52 AM »

Without seeing a picture I can't give you any other advice besides drilling it out.

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »

I was going to upload them with my last post but they all came out blurry, just a gray circle on black.

Basically I'm asking that when I drill should I just try and get all the remaining pieces out? Because it would seem less risky (in terms of damaging the blade) to keep using the dremel tool, or should I get a drill bit slightly larger than the hole and just completely tap into it?

Sorry for all this, I've just had my run ins with rushing and ruining a project and an Ultrasaber and it's blade is not something I want to lose

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: