Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switch Type for Obsidian V4  (Read 1460 times)
BlackDove634
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

We are dust that drifts in shadows of the heart

« on: November 23, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

Hi there,

I'm assuming a momentary switch is required to run the Obsidian V4 sound board, because of the ability to be able to switch between fonts on the go, as well as to allow time for the power-down SFX.

My question then is, What type of momentary switch is necessary for this functionality?  I've seen them with a number of different pin counts, and of course there's "Normally Open" vs. "Normally Closed".  I'm guessing it's a "Normally Closed" (hold down to turn off), but still not sure about the pin count required.

Thanks for the help!

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »

Non-illuminated momentary AV switches as well as momentary guarded switches use a 2-pin layout, illuminated momentary AV switches use a 4-pin layout because of the additional LED + and - pins.

As for the way a momentary switch works: It has not that much to do with the font switching abilities of the V4 but rather with power management. A momentary switch activates the board which then manages the current flow within the circuits. That means you don't have to hold it down to activate the saber (that would be the case with a latching switch in a sound saber), hence the name "momentary". How the font switching process is related to the switch...I don't know, but I think it's more a code implemented in the board's firmware that interprets and converts the "hold down - push - hold down" sequence in the deactivated saber.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

BlackDove634
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

We are dust that drifts in shadows of the heart

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:49:59 AM »

Thanks!

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »

No problem Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: