Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 2152 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« on: November 24, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

To all my Saber Brothers and Sisters

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Even if you don't celebrate the holiday I wish you the same.

Please share something that you're thankful for.

Ill start this off then:

Im Thankful for my loving wife who has been with me for 15 years and still loves me despite my shortcomings.   Kiss

and Im Thankful for US and all the great sabers they make for us and give us during raffles.   Cheesy

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »

Awesome thread KDP. Smiley

+1

I have a lot to be thankful for.  The past month or two especially.

First, the Warlord - obviously.  What a great surprise, and an absolutely spectacular gift.  Which brings me to this forum, and all of the wonderful, generous people here.  Love you guys. Smiley
You've all made me feel just awesome.  I can't thank you all enough. Also, I got to meet someone from this forum.  RevanReborn.  That was the epitome of awesomeness, and I'll never forget it.

Secondly, I'm thankful for my GF.  She's the person who has been there for me when nobody else was.  She listens to my constant ranting, and spouting off, and still hangs around.  Thanks MM. You rock. Smiley

Finally, I'm thankful that I'm fortunate enough to live in such a relatively decent society (no real war, famine, genocide...), and that I'm reasonably healthy.  There are thousands of people - even in your own city - that are much less fortunate, and have a dismal future at best.
I needed to acknowledge that.

I hope everyone has a happy, warm, safe holiday. Smiley

Cheers!

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »

I'm thankful for being employed, which is good, because I have to go to work in about four hours so that people who are thankful for saving money can come into the store I work at and buy stuff.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »

Great thread, so +1 KDP, and thank you sir.

Thank you for always being honest, kind and shooting from the hip LR. -1

SFD, I feel for you, having to deal with the hoards that are about to bombard you! +1000!!

I may gripe about alot of things, but honestly, I'm blessed! I bought my home way under market value, I recently refied and made money and dropped in years, putting us in a realistic shot to get the house paid off in less than 20 years. Physically I'm wearing down. That's age.
I'm thankful for my job who kills me often, but pays me well, and made it through the recession when alot of our competitors, strong competitors, folded. I'm also thankful for my co-workers who keep me there..can't leave them.
I'm thankful for my family. Starting with my parents, who provide support and are always willing to give and not receive. I'm glad that my dad and I are stronger in relationship today more than ever. He was often times an absentee father, but he's made strides and he's the father now that I've always wished for him to be. My mother, she's mom!! She can do no harm! My brother and sister, who pain me that I have no blood nieces or nephews, but are uniquely different than me, and were all movie buffs, so I'm sure we'll be doing movie quotes at sometime today!
Lastly, not least, to my own personal family. I said from the time I was old enough to be competitive, "I love a challenge!" Well, they challenge me! I'm so passionate to not let them down, not to fail as a father/husband, never not be there. I don't drink to provide my kids the leadership to say "you don't have to drink cuz everyone is/to have a good time." I sacrifice my personal interests to aid their attentative needs. I am flawed as an individual, but never, whatever happens down the line, will they ever be able to say I wasn't there. My wife, well, I'm thankful she stuck with me throughout my admission of prior actions and thoughts. Though I'd want more out of her, she could be out spending money on tons of things, or out with friends, or just one that's not there. But she always is there, and is there to help the kids get through life, although her advice is often times face palmingly bad. She is my best friend, and we tell each other mostly everything. I was advised by my psych that whatever I told her what happened is enough. She doesn't need to know more. Holding those fading memories of a life slowly forgotten and the impact it could potentially have on us is difficult, cuz I feel dishonest, but it's for the betterment of the family as a whole.
I'm thankful for my bipolar disorder, as weird as it seems. With help, I see it more as a benefit than an ailment.

And lastly, lastly, thank you. No really, you reading this! You, and your posts, pics, comments, make me keep coming back when I could be off at some smut site which I have no business being. This site has kept me grounded and level headed. You all, and Ultrasabers with their great products and leaders who created this site, I'm thankful and grateful for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, to my brothers to the north, and brothers across the pond!
One love...

No points, just fist bumps baby!

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »

Here, I'll copy/paste this from...elsewhere.

Alright, time for me to put on my historian hat.

The Pilgrims were way off course.  They were supposed to end up in Virginia, where colonies were already established, but they'd been blown/swept by currents too far north, and it was November, so they landed, woefully ill-prepared for the winter.  Shortly before their landing, and completely unknown to them, a virulent disease (possibly smallpox) had swept through the local Native American population, killing the vast majority of those who inhabited that area prior to the pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock.  So, the pilgrims found cleared fields (although already harvested for the year) ready for planting IF they could survive the year.  It was the other artifact of the previous inhabitants that they found, which enabled them to survive through the winter.  The local Native Americans had buried a LOT of food in caches before the winter, and after the plague, were no longer around to put those caches to use.

Over time, the new colony at Plymouth did fully take root, and eventually prosper, and they did manage to get on good terms with the locals who were still there.  There is an account of a day or some days when the governor sent out hunting parties, who had unusually good luck in taking small game.  Local Native Americans came along and hunted along with the pilgrims, and brought six deer back with them to give to the VIPs of the colony, and they did all feast together.

As for Thanksgiving, the puritan pilgrims of the time were prone to having days for either fasting and humiliation, when times were bad and they thought they might have offended God, or days of thanksgiving, such as after a good harvest.  The days of thanksgiving usually involved religious services and praise, but although feasting wasn't intrinsically linked to those days, they often did so, supplies permitting.

Over the decades after, less days of fasting and humiliation took place, and thanksgiving days became more prominent, until it became linked firmly in the cultural mindset of New England as a day to celebrate the end of the harvest.  Different colonies had different traditional days when they would celebrate the occasion, sometimes to the benefit of those who had family and friends in different colonies, close enough for them to manage to partake of feasting on more than one designated day.

Later, the various states in New England would standardize and set one day for all of them, and as they spread out, they took their custom with them.  There was somewhat of a culture war, during which the north, particularly New England, tried to stamp the USA as being inherently molded by their colonies, while other regions, particularly the south, resisted this attempt at setting the narrative of the colonial and national founding as being overly "New English" in character.

In 1863, Sarah Hale, who had long lobbied for a regular, national holiday of thanksgiving via letters to the government and her position at Godey's Lady's Book, a magazine/periodical of the time, finally prevailed upon Abraham Lincoln to declare such a day.  The origin of this proclamation is why Thanksgiving was not widely celebrated in the south through the end of the 19th century.

The day was set for the last Thursday in November until 1939, when FDR moved it to the third Thursday in an attempt to lengthen the Christmas shopping season in the midst of the ongoing depression, then two years later it was set by an act of Congress to the fourth Thursday in November.

As for the "traditional" thanksgiving meal:

Turkeys:  Maybe, but more likely other game birds, deer, pork, etc.
Mashed Potatoes:  Nope.  Potatoes were indigenous to South America, and while they were making inroads to use in Europe, they wouldn't have been in New England yet.
Cranberry Sauce:  Nope.  Not that they lacked cranberries, the things were plentiful.  What they would have lacked was sugar.
Pumpkin Pie:  Not like we know it.  If they had what they would have called a pumpkin pie, it would have been more of a stew, prepared and served IN a hollowed out pumpkin.  The modern custardy filling in a pastry crust didn't come along for another couple hundred years.  Also, they didn't have the sugar for it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lightsaber talk.

All that being said, it's still a dandy day to be thankful for the things in your life that you value.  It's a terrible thing when, even in trying times, a person can't find something to still be grateful for, and I hope no one is so deep in troubles that that is the case.  If you are, I think I can speak for the vast majority here in saying that we're here to talk to anyone and everyone, and that's part of what I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful for all of you lightsaber obsessed weirdos that make me feel at home here.  Thank you, guys.

I am, of course, also thankful for my wife and especially for our son, I'm thankful that I'm still tearing it up in school and thus far succeeding as I work towards making a second career for myself.

And, it should be said (particularly since it's only been a couple days since I got my latest order and my raffle prize), I'm grateful for Ultrasabers.  Not just for the great product and customer support.  Not just for the awesome and generous prizes they give, but also for providing this forum, which lets me interact with the aforesaid lightsaber obsessed weirdos.  So, thank you Ultra, and Deep, and everyone's favorite CS rep, Marlena, as well as all of the other folks behind the scenes that we don't get to talk with as much.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »

There is truly a lot to thankful for, but I will chose 1 thing.

I am thankful that I have a family to spend the Holidays with, and that are always there for me.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Jedihunter214
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -101

Following The Path of Grey

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »

I am thankful for everything little thing that have and for everyone who has ever came into my life as a friend or as a family. But today is a very sad day for myself and family we just lost our great uncle who past away at 5:00 am EST this morning. Also want to take the time to thank everyone on here who has been very helpful kind and caring to help others in need either in the Dark or Light side.

Thanks

OWNED:
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Silver
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Guardian Blue
Aeon LE v4 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Black x2
Aeon LE v3 Guardian Blue x2/w quick release coupler
Manticore w Emerald Sound & Light
Renegade LE Blazing Red

ON THE WAY:
Dark Initiate v2 Blazing Red
The Dominix v2 Blazing Red
Aeon LE v3 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Silver x2
Brood Guard Blazing Red x2
Phantasm LE v2 Guardian Blue
Sentinel LE v5 Guardian Blue

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »

I'm thankful for all good things in my life as well as those things that are hard but help me grow as a person. Now, here are a few of my most favorite things...
  • My wife and my family
  • My church
  • Having a home for shelter
  • Having a very good job that allows me to work from home
  • Star Wars and Lightsabers
  • UltraSabers and this forum (honestly, they really have made a difference for good in my life)
  • PIE!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, also known as "Pie Day" in my mind, to everyone. Thankful for the community here and looking forward to the future with UltraSabers and SaberForum.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »

I am thankful for everything little thing that have and for everyone who has ever came into my life as a friend or as a family. But today is a very sad day for myself and family we just lost our great uncle who past away at 5:00 am EST this morning. Also want to take the time to thank everyone on here who has been very helpful kind and caring to help others in need either in the Dark or Light side.

Thanks

My sincerities with you on this day Jhunter. I lost my grandfather Xmas day 10 years ago. Sad, yes, but I always try to see the positive in the day. Our biggest thing is saying he's up in the sky celebrating a birthday with the big guy. May it be a day to mourn, but also give thanks and celebrate your great uncle's life. Wish you and yours the best

No points, just fist bumps baby!

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 08:02:51 PM »

Thank you all for sharing.  I appreciate it and its good to know that we can share things with each other here and get support and not ridicule.  This is why I love spending so much time on here.  I may not know any of you IRL, but this works well and I don't feel like I have to pretend here.  to quote a great movie "I Love you, Awesome Nerds!!" (Pitch Perfect) points to all of you except you Majobu....Big FIST PUMP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 12:03:49 AM »

Merry Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it, and Happy Thursday/Friday to everyone else.

I'm thankful for my family, especially my wife, who has put up with me for 15 years now.  I have a decently paying job, where there is never a dull moment and I get to do a huge variety of things, from R&D to production, to patent reviews.  I'm thankful for US and all their awesome products, innovations, and customer service.  And I'm also thankful for all you guys and gals here on the forum, whether you piss me off or make me laugh or both in the same post, I'm glad you're here.  Thanks for putting up with me as well.

Part of tonight's dinner requires bacon.  I cooked an entire package of bacon.  Without eating any of it.  Anyone want to challenge that level of self control?  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 02:35:07 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving forum family!

Thankful for ... my wife and 2 kids, they're the highlight of my day and make me a better me.

And thankful for all you on the forums, truly unique and special men and women here.

Also we make this hobby continuously awesome, who would've thought that at almost 4 years later I'd still be hype about the community and lightsabers - cause I still am! 

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: