Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TFA - Why Kylo lost to Rey  (Read 3054 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: November 26, 2016, 04:18:32 AM »

Yes here is another SW analysis video from The Stupendous Wave - I really appreciate his research and in depth look into the things of SW.

I've asked myself this question - "why did Kylo prove so weak in this battle?"  He has training, experience, knowledge and guidance so how could someone virtually "new" in The Force even have a chance against him?

If we really knew the extent of Kylo's training and the power he wielded I'm sure it would prompt even more questions.  There's a lot of information presented here and actually paints an interesting picture.

- - -  Have a look at this break down and let me know what you think?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8-YaoKa-o&amp;list=WL&amp;index=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8-YaoKa-o&amp;list=WL&amp;index=1</a>

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »

Very interesting. Point for this!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »

I view it in the same light as how the Sith took over the galaxy, and then how the scales were tipped toward the light for Luke. As much as I am loath to speak of the "will" of the Force, it does have a tendency to move toward balance. From the picture painted in TFA, Ren and Snoke were the only active Force users moving events in the galaxy. The Force is merely swinging back into balance by tipping in Rey's favor.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »

This video pretty well sums up how I viewed the duel. Kylo was wounded, by no means fresh and he was unaccustomed to fighting people with melee weapons, and he has a lot of emotional toil going on. Meanwhile, Rey is fresh and she's used to fighting stronger opponents on Jakku, a clearly harsh and unrelenting planet. She's had to endure a lot and can clearly take care of herself. Plus, one thing not mentioned, is that, right before she launches her final assault, she realizes she can tap into the Force. While unrefined, she can still use it to her advantage to make any fatigue go away, as well as give her extra speed and strength. That's why she totally owns Kylo in that last assault. He's not even prepared to fight someone who can tap into the Force.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:17:53 PM »

I have to agree with pretty much all of the points touched on the video.

That said, I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with Logos.  Historically, we've seen the LS/DS "take turns" coming out on top.

I predict that ep. 8 will show Kylo come back with a vengeance, and "tip the scales" once again. Smiley

+1 to haz for this cool thread. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:29 PM »

Until I learned about the different forms, I thought that he was just terrible at fighting, but this actually makes since as to why Rey totally owned Kylo. Previosly I had also thought that her tapping into the force had something to do with it, but I didn't know why Kylo was so weak when it came to the force even though he had training, and could use a super strong mind trick. I still don't understand why he was having such a hard time pulling the Lightsaber to him after Finn dropped it though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »

This video pretty well sums up how I viewed the duel. Kylo was wounded, by no means fresh and he was unaccustomed to fighting people with melee weapons, and he has a lot of emotional toil going on. Meanwhile, Rey is fresh and she's used to fighting stronger opponents on Jakku, a clearly harsh and unrelenting planet. She's had to endure a lot and can clearly take care of herself. Plus, one thing not mentioned, is that, right before she launches her final assault, she realizes she can tap into the Force. While unrefined, she can still use it to her advantage to make any fatigue go away, as well as give her extra speed and strength. That's why she totally owns Kylo in that last assault. He's not even prepared to fight someone who can tap into the Force.

Thats how i viewed that fight too minus on thing. Shouldn't he used to fighting with other sabers at least a little bit since he apparently killed all the others Luke was training? Until we get some added information on that event (which im still wondering why Luke wasn't able to stop him) we only have Rey's vision which suggests it was him and his knights of ren who defeated them.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 02:14:05 AM »

How long before TFA did he kill them?  I know it was at least a few years, but I'm not too sure on the exact timing.  Also, Luke's training program likely included saber practice, but we're I'm not sure of the timing.  Skills will lapse if not used.  Also, we can't be sure how committed he was to his saber practice.

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 02:23:57 AM »

How long before TFA did he kill them?  I know it was at least a few years, but I'm not too sure on the exact timing.  Also, Luke's training program likely included saber practice, but we're I'm not sure of the timing.  Skills will lapse if not used.  Also, we can't be sure how committed he was to his saber practice.

That is true and they aren't really clear on how long before TFA he killed them. I assumed it couldnt be that long ago based on how he looked in the vision and he doesnt look too old but it could be quite a while for all we know.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 04:18:19 AM »

Adam Driver is 33, he was born the same year Return of the Jedi hit theaters.  That's about right for Kylo, he was supposedly born in 5 ABY, a year after the film.  The Force Awakens is set around 34 ABY.  I think someone said in another thread that Kylo destroyed Luke's Academy 6 years before that, (from one lf the canon novels) which would have made Kylo 23 at the time.  6 years is quite a bit of time.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »

We also didn't see any lightsabers as the slaughter.  We don't know if Luke even trained people to fight or construct a lightsaber.  Kylo's is rather crude on both counts.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »

Interesting. I just think Kylo had too much conflict in him and doubts of his own, which hindered his potential. Rey was all "pure" and she let it out to defeat Kylo.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »

Interesting. I just think Kylo had too much conflict in him and doubts of his own, which hindered his potential. Rey was all "pure" and she let it out to defeat Kylo.

Indeed, that had to be a big part of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: