Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: A quick touch (not that kind) on the Prophecy v3  (Read 6318 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »

Ok everyone,

Here's a bit of a review on the Prophecy v3 hilt that I got. As I explain in the video, what I thought to be a "stuff up" is actually just a case of how things are whether you like it or not. So just to once again be totally clear, there are NO FLAWS on this hilt. It was just an request I made that could not be carried out.

I figured I should do a review while I had this puppy here just in case it winds up going back. So here are my honest thoughts on the Prophecy v3.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRiDtBbxSpU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRiDtBbxSpU</a>

And here is the picture that I was referring to in the video. All monitors will be slightly different. But this is a 95% accurate shot of SRD!

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »

Hey Isola815,

No mobs here...

Great review again. Smiley

It's truly unfortunate that you aren't happy with your Prophecy.  Like you mentioned though, it's so well balanced, and solid.  It just feels right.  Like a lightsaber would - IMO.

I adore mine.  

AV v guarded switch:  Isola - you're in a small crowd there.  Most members that I've seen prefer an AV switch any day.  I have to point out that, with the absence of sound on your sabers, they require a latching switch as opposed to a momentary one.  Here's where the AV would win every time, I think.

Pommel: I agree about retaining the line of the hilt.  I do have sound though, so added the Overlord pommel to mine.  Same "knurled" texture. To avoid posting pics on your review thread though, I'll just include a link to a pic of it: http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/seanhewer/20160708_194606_zpsu1vxracn.jpg

Also, Re: your covertech wheel...
The Prophecy hilts have a unique wheel - for the most part evidentally - that is notched for those grooves: http://i.imgur.com/tdJX1W5.jpg
I think that perhaps because you requested a gold one, that there might not have been any "special" ones.  Only reason I can think of...

The covertech wheel CAN be removed; however, using a 9/64 allen/hex wrench, and the resulting hole can be filled with an 8-32 x 1/16" button head screw.  If you're in Australia, good luck with the imperial sizes. O_o

I strongly recommend that you give this hilt a chance.  It really is a thing of beauty. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »

Any hilt that comes with a Covertec preinstalled comes with it where you see it in the pictures.  Since it's not an add-on option, they pre-drill the holes in the machine shop.  I realize this information should be on the website, especially since the order form says you can specify a location, but it can't be done unless you order a hilt where you have to pay extra for the Covertec.  I'm sorry you were misled by the incomplete information on the website, something should be done about that, especially for people shipping as far away as Australia.

Anyway, great review.  As for the pommel, you can get the Prophecy pommel vented for sound, though I'm sure you're not worried about that since you want to get rid of the hilt.  Also, as Lord Rapine said, there's the Overlord pommel and the Manticore Low pommel.  I love your thoughts on Sunrider's Destiny.  In fact, seeing your review video and that lovely saber in your hand makes me want one with Li-Ion batteries in SRD.  Grin

Switches, eh.  I have and like both.  Cheesy

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »

I don't own a saber in SRD yet, but I'm thinking about it now. Kind of looks mint to me from the images on this thread.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:50 PM »

I don't own a saber in SRD yet, but I'm thinking about it now. Kind of looks mint to me from the images on this thread.

It is a lot more green than I was expecting, and that kinda turned me off towards it. However, most people are saying that it is bluer on normal blades, and greener on the UE blades.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »

Another good and honest review Isola815. The Prophecy v3 is a very nice saber and I like your choice of Sunrider's Destiny for the blade color.  Point to you.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »

Hey Isola815,

No mobs here...

Great review again. Smiley

It's truly unfortunate that you aren't happy with your Prophecy.  Like you mentioned though, it's so well balanced, and solid.  It just feels right.  Like a lightsaber would - IMO.

I adore mine.  

AV v guarded switch:  Isola - you're in a small crowd there.  Most members that I've seen prefer an AV switch any day.  I have to point out that, with the absence of sound on your sabers, they require a latching switch as opposed to a momentary one.  Here's where the AV would win every time, I think.

Pommel: I agree about retaining the line of the hilt.  I do have sound though, so added the Overlord pommel to mine.  Same "knurled" texture. To avoid posting pics on your review thread though, I'll just include a link to a pic of it: http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/seanhewer/20160708_194606_zpsu1vxracn.jpg

Also, Re: your covertech wheel...
The Prophecy hilts have a unique wheel - for the most part evidentally - that is notched for those grooves: http://i.imgur.com/tdJX1W5.jpg
I think that perhaps because you requested a gold one, that there might not have been any "special" ones.  Only reason I can think of...

The covertech wheel CAN be removed; however, using a 9/64 allen/hex wrench, and the resulting hole can be filled with an 8-32 x 1/16" button head screw.  If you're in Australia, good luck with the imperial sizes. O_o

I strongly recommend that you give this hilt a chance.  It really is a thing of beauty. Smiley

+1

Thanks for your info and the links Smiley

I have given it a chance and had a bit of a play with it when I first got it and before doing this video, but that wheel is so gorram uncomfortable that I just can't get along with it.

That wheel you posted makes much sense without that overhang!!

I know I'm in a minority with the switch but unless the other one you mentioned is larger, then I am guarded switch for life Smiley

Taking the wheel out and putting in a scew or anything else will only happen if I Franken-saber this thing. I feel for the price, it should be able to be presented without having to have a random screw in the side of it, and as I  say, I'd have to outsource the relocation work which adds even more cost to something that I could have avoided had I known prior :/

Any hilt that comes with a Covertec preinstalled comes with it where you see it in the pictures.  Since it's not an add-on option, they pre-drill the holes in the machine shop.  I realize this information should be on the website, especially since the order form says you can specify a location, but it can't be done unless you order a hilt where you have to pay extra for the Covertec.  I'm sorry you were misled by the incomplete information on the website, something should be done about that, especially for people shipping as far away as Australia.

Anyway, great review.  As for the pommel, you can get the Prophecy pommel vented for sound, though I'm sure you're not worried about that since you want to get rid of the hilt.  Also, as Lord Rapine said, there's the Overlord pommel and the Manticore Low pommel.  I love your thoughts on Sunrider's Destiny.  In fact, seeing your review video and that lovely saber in your hand makes me want one with Li-Ion batteries in SRD.  Grin

Switches, eh.  I have and like both.  Cheesy

The international shipping is a god damned killer. It costs me half if not most of the purchase price of a daber depending on how much stuff I order at once Sad and considering I'm probably going to have to pay it again to ship the last two back it's going to be a while before I can buy another Sad

Thanks for letting me know it's ALL included covertec sabers that suffer from the dame thing. Guess I better strip the Bellicose and Consular from my list. At least The Guardian is super close to the pommel already Smiley I'll leave that bad boy on the list for now!

Even if I have to keep this one sound would never have been an issue as I don't need it, but it is nice to know that you can keep this look and still have sound!

Spearmint flavored gum or candy was the closest thing to conpare it to, but it's still not right because it's illuminated. It is honestly incomparable .

It is a lot more green than I was expecting, and that kinda turned me off towards it. However, most people are saying that it is bluer on normal blades, and greener on the UE blades.

If you take out the placebo factor it's the same color on both blades. It just doesn't have that empty halo around it when using a UE blade.

Thanks everyone Smiley glad to know the lynch mob isn't coming just yet :p

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »

Another good and honest review Isola815. The Prophecy v3 is a very nice saber and I like your choice of Sunrider's Destiny for the blade color.  Point to you.
Your post came up while I was replying and I missed it. Thanks Smiley it's a beautiful color

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 02:30:41 AM »

Great saber Isola. A Prophecy in SRD is pretty unique.

On the subject of SRD, since others have commented on it, mine is a bit more on the blue side like it appears in your video, but it's an emerald, so I can make it as blue or as green as I'd like. It photographs like the SRD on the US color picture.

I've seen some that are the shade of your picture, and some that are mine. It really is a bit of a crap shoot as to what someone will get. That being said, you can't go wrong with it, because I haven't heard anyone be disappointed with it.

Here is a link where I do some side by side comparisons.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31873.0

As you can see in that review, I also ran into a covertec issue. I replaced mine with a button head screw, and it works a lot better like that. I was reluctant at first, but I'm glad I did it. Mine was 8-32 x 1/8 inch. If the hole is in one of those grooves, though, a 1/16 would work better, as LR mentioned. You can also try choking up a bit into that upper choke point.

Thanks for sharing, Isola. Have a point.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 02:45:14 AM »

Great saber Isola. A Prophecy in SRD is pretty unique.

On the subject of SRD, since others have commented on it, mine is a bit more on the blue side, but it's an emerald, so I can make it as blue or as green as I'd like. It photographs like the SRD on the US color picture.

I've seen some that are your shade and some that are mine. It really is a bit of a crap shoot as to what someone will get. That being said, you can't go wrong with it, because I haven't heard anyone be disappointed with it.

Here is a link where I do some side by side comparisons.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31873.0

As you can see in that review, I also ran into a covertec issue. I replaced mine with a button head screw, and it works a lot better like that. I was reluctant at first, but I'm glad I did it. Mine was 8-32 x 1/8 inch. If the hole is in one of those grooves, though, a 1/16 would work better, as LR mentioned. You can also try choking up a bit into that upper choke point.

Thanks for sharing, Isola. Have a point.

Hey thanks for the link! Cool comparison between the color shifts. Would be good to see a shootout between 4 or 5 of the same setup.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:52:38 AM »

Hey thanks for the link! Cool comparison between the color shifts. Would be good to see a shootout between 4 or 5 of the same setup.

I agree. I just updated my post. I think mine looks more like your video and less like your picture. It really is an amazing and underrated color. The few people I know who have it always get a similar response. "Ooooo...what color is that?"

Again, on the covertec wheel, and I can't stress this enough, try the button head screw. A few moments with that, and my Bellicose jumped from my least favorite saber to my second favorite. If you like the Prophecy, and it sounds like you do, it could be an easy fix for a lot less than sending it back. If I plan on wearing my Bellicose, I can put the covertec back on, and I'll just hang it on the other side of my belt.

I'm incredibly picky with certain things, so I feel for you, but there are ways around it.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »

I agree. I just updated my post. I think mine looks more like your video and less like your picture. It really is an amazing and underrated color. The few people I know who have it always get a similar response. "Ooooo...what color is that?"

Again, on the covertec wheel, and I can't stress this enough, try the button head screw. A few moments with that, and my Bellicose jumped from my least favorite saber to my second favorite. If you like the Prophecy, and it sounds like you do, it could be an easy fix for a lot less than sending it back. If I plan on wearing my Bellicose, I can put the covertec back on, and I'll just hang it on the other side of my belt.

I'm incredibly picky with certain things, so I feel for you, but there are ways around it.

It's more that I feel like for the price paid, I shouldn't need to have a random screw halfway down the hilt (and pay to move the covertec if I still want to use it) when I could have had the option to pick a different hilt. I'd like to be just as satisfied with this saber as I was with my first two, which were perfect.

It may sound bitchy or whatever, but I just don't want to have to have a workaround or a compromise when it's my money that's been spent.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 03:58:53 AM »

Oh, I completely agree. Again, mine was an Emerald with Obsidian v4 sound, buckpuck, AV switch, etc. It was a big investment. Anyway, I don't want to beat a dead horse.

One thing you may run into, though, with the placement of the wheel as low as you're thinking, it may run into the threads on the inside of the hilt, which may make the pommel unusable, because you won't be able to screw it in. Just something to look at if you plan to have a wheel on your other sabers. They are usually a few inches away from the pommel and not at the very end of the hilt.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 05:36:43 AM »

Thanks for letting me know it's ALL included covertec sabers that suffer from the dame thing. Guess I better strip the Bellicose and Consular from my list. At least The Guardian is super close to the pommel already Smiley I'll leave that bad boy on the list for now!

Yeah, it's one of those things that you only find out from the forums, and if you look at certain threads.  I only know of it because people like Landen have mentioned it.

Ultra Sabers has a machine shop that fabricates the hilts and a group of people who install the electronics and do the final assembly.  Once you place your order, it goes to the people who do the electronics and assembly, not the machine shop people.  For the hilts that come with the Covertec automatically, the hole is drilled and tapped in the machine shop.  So, when the people working on your order get the hilt, it already has the hole in it, they just put a Covertec wheel in it.  That's why they can't do anything about it, it came to them with the hole already there.  When you order the hilts that don't come with them automatically, it's up to the people doing the final work to drill and tap a hole.  Since you're paying extra for it and it's not already there, you can specify a location and they'll drill it there.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »

Oh, I completely agree. Again, mine was an Emerald with Obsidian v4 sound, buckpuck, AV switch, etc. It was a big investment. Anyway, I don't want to beat a dead horse.

One thing you may run into, though, with the placement of the wheel as low as you're thinking, it may run into the threads on the inside of the hilt, which may make the pommel unusable, because you won't be able to screw it in. Just something to look at if you plan to have a wheel on your other sabers. They are usually a few inches away from the pommel and not at the very end of the hilt.

Yesssss, I had actually noticed that. The pommel thread is about 14 miles long  Shocked Shocked Shocked so I was thinking about cutting it down so it was only about 4 or 5 threads long as that's all it really needs, and getting it tapped into the very end of the grip groove that lines up with the brass screws. But of course this is only if it stays, and by this point it will probably have been dragged behind the car for a couple of days to beat it up, crack it, scratch it and generally make it look like it went through hell and back.

Yeah, it's one of those things that you only find out from the forums, and if you look at certain threads.  I only know of it because people like Landen have mentioned it.

Ultra Sabers has a machine shop that fabricates the hilts and a group of people who install the electronics and do the final assembly.  Once you place your order, it goes to the people who do the electronics and assembly, not the machine shop people.  For the hilts that come with the Covertec automatically, the hole is drilled and tapped in the machine shop.  So, when the people working on your order get the hilt, it already has the hole in it, they just put a Covertec wheel in it.  That's why they can't do anything about it, it came to them with the hole already there.  When you order the hilts that don't come with them automatically, it's up to the people doing the final work to drill and tap a hole.  Since you're paying extra for it and it's not already there, you can specify a location and they'll drill it there.

Yeah, definitely disclaimer worthy. In Australia that would be a massive breach of something called the "Australian Consumer Law" and would be grounds for instant reimbursement of all costs as well as a possible fine depending on who got involved. Which I have NOT asked for. I asked if we can come to a return agreement putting the credit towards another hilt that I can find some use out of.

I appreciate everyone's input and trying to talk me into keeping the Prophecy v3, but this version of it, is just not for me. Having to modify it due to a lack of communication and thus making it not look the way I expected it to in the first place, does not justify the $150 (with SRD + international postage) nor just is justify however much it costs to modify it). So it's an all or nothing situation for me.

The Prophecy v3 and the Dark Catalyst haven't made me hate Ultrasabers or not want to be a customer anymore or anything like that. It's just made me rethink my wishlist and drop some hilts from it. The quality from US is still the best, I just want to make sure I get EVERY part of that quality that I pay for is all.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: