Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mummy Trailer: Tom Cruise vs. The Mummy (UPDATED)  (Read 4976 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: December 01, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHgzkQM2Sg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHgzkQM2Sg</a>
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:21:27 AM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »

Is it Sunday yet?  Grin

Great teaser, I'm looking forward to the full trailer.  I don't know if anybody can ever top the menace of Boris Karloff as Imhotep, but I do like the more action oriented movies with Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz and Arnold Vosloo as Imhotep.  It will be interesting to see where the Tom Cruise version stands.  Knowing Tom's past work, I won't be surprised if it's another action movie.  It looks like they're going with a totally new mummy and it's nice to see it's set in the modern world.  (plus, Sofia Boutella is HOT!)  Should be interesting.  Smiley

Edit:  Hm, looking at the cast list on IMDb.  Interestingly, Russell Crowe's character is named Dr. Henry Jekyll.  I wonder where they're going with that.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

A trailer for a trailer... All I'm gonna say is "wow."

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:55:48 AM »

Really digging those multiplying pupils. What a cool effect.  Grin

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »

Seriously? Is Hollywood completely out of original ideas?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »

Seriously? Is Hollywood completely out of original ideas?

Hollywood?  Yeah, pretty much, but we already knew that.  It's not that people aren't submitting original ideas, it's that they're not getting greenlit in Hollywood because the studio execs would rather make "guaranteed money makers."  The Mummy franchise has returned huge numbers for Universal in the past, so they're hoping for big returns.  And, as long as people flood to theaters to see these big budget films, they'll keep getting made.

If you want original, go outside Hollywood.  Find movie projects on Kickstarter to back.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

Hollywood?  Yeah, pretty much, but we already knew that.  It's not that people aren't submitting original ideas, it's that they're not getting greenlit in Hollywood because the studio execs would rather make "guaranteed money makers."  The Mummy franchise has returned huge numbers for Universal in the past, so they're hoping for big returns.  And, as long as people flood to theaters to see these big budget films, they'll keep getting made.

If you want original, go outside Hollywood.  Find movie projects on Kickstarter to back.

I've already got several, just need to finish writing them.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »

I've already got several, just need to finish writing them.

There you go.  Right now, we're in the best time in history for Independent filmmakers.  Kickstarter and similar sites can get you funding, social media can get you noticed and you're on a huge distribution medium.  If you can make something that enough people really like and that gets you noticed, you may be in Hollywood someday deciding what gets greenlit and what doesn't.  Then maybe some quality original films will get their due.  Smiley

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »

There you go.  Right now, we're in the best time in history for Independent filmmakers.  Kickstarter and similar sites can get you funding, social media can get you noticed and you're on a huge distribution medium.  If you can make something that enough people really like and that gets you noticed, you may be in Hollywood someday deciding what gets greenlit and what doesn't.  Then maybe some quality original films will get their due.  Smiley
Dammit, Jim. I'm an engineer not a salesman.

Sig by For Tyeth

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »

Dammit, Jim. I'm an engineer not a salesman.

I never said it would be easy.  You'll definitely need partners to help you out.  Remember, nobody makes films totally by themselves except YouTubers.  (and they have their own awards now Roll Eyes)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

What a fantastic little conversation you two are having. +1 to you both.

If you perceive a deficit, try and fill it. Unfortunately, for every original idea, there is always someone screaming: "Yeah, we want original ideas, but they have to be GOOD ideas."

I'd love to hear some of what you've got, when you're ready to share of course.  Smiley

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »

I never said it would be easy.  You'll definitely need partners to help you out.  Remember, nobody makes films totally by themselves except YouTubers.  (and they have their own awards now Roll Eyes)

I'm not out to play politics with the academy, so screw you Oscar.

And as far as needing others....definitely. There are reasons the BOOYA Review is not finished. Shot but not finished. Roll Eyes (Anybody know how to get files off of an LG G4 without text or email?)

What a fantastic little conversation you two are having. +1 to you both.

If you perceive a deficit, try and fill it. Unfortunately, for every original idea, there is always someone screaming: "Yeah, we want original ideas, but they have to be GOOD ideas."

I'd love to hear some of what you've got, when you're ready to share of course.  Smiley

And this just begs to be brought up in a new thread. Excellent idea. Sorry for the inadvertent hijack.

Now up: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33261.0

Sig by For Tyeth

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »

Well, until the full trailer hits, there isn't a whole lot to say on The Mummy. (I still appreciate the post)  All we have so far is a series of clips with no context.

I'm not out to play politics with the academy, so screw you Oscar.

I feel the same.  People should be out to make movies, not win awards.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:32 AM »

The video at the top of the thread has been changed to the full official trailer. Enjoy.  Smiley

I think it looks like a lot of fun, and already my head canon is working out how this "reboot" could still be sequel to the Brendan Fraser films; the three he did all take place decades in the past.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »

Yeah, I watched it on the bus last night.  It could be good.  Like I figured, it looks like there are going to be some exciting action scenes.  That's typical of Tom Cruise and by no means a bad thing, in my opinion.  It very well could be a sequel since, as you said, the Brendan Fraser films were decades before this.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: