Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mummy Trailer: Tom Cruise vs. The Mummy (UPDATED)  (Read 4970 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 05:00:19 PM »

Looks really good and I love the way the mummy looks so different from the previous Mummy series.  Looks to be a whole lot more action packed too.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

Yeah, it looks like she's got a partial bandage wrap and some spells or something tattooed on her.  It's a really interesting look.  Plus, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Sofia Boutella is HOT! (Are we supposed to feel that way about the Mummy? I don't care.  Wink)

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:27 PM »

Yeah, it looks like she's got a partial bandage wrap and some spells or something tattooed on her.  It's a really interesting look.  Plus, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Sofia Boutella is HOT! (Are we supposed to feel that way about the Mummy? I don't care.  Wink)

We can totally feel that way about a Mummy.  Id fall down and kiss her feet

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »

While I like the VFX and the inclusion of Dr. Jekyll as well as the fact that it looks like a standard Cruise action flick, what worries me is the whole bit with Cruise's character seeming to resurrect after the supposed initial incident. Specifically that I'm more than willing to bet that his character will be endowed with enhanced abilities. While this would be a good thing in most films, here I think it will be not so good, as part of the appeal of the original Universal monster movies was the idea of normal people fighting again supernatural foes. This is why the first Brendan Fraser film was so good. The sequels, where Rick and Evie were revealed to be a Medjai holy warrior and the reincarnation of Nefertiri, respectfully, were less well received partly because them being "special" (Evie specifically because of her being able to fight off Anck'sunamun through past life memories of Nefertiri), so the idea of them being average people dragged into a decidedly not average situation and winning was not only lost, but it cheapened the first film's victory.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »

Well, there was always some magic involved in defeating the Mummy, even going back to the Karloff film.  Granted, it usually involved spells more so than superhuman abilities, but the magic was there.  After all, Imhotep was immortal and extremely powerful.  Normal people couldn't stop him without help.  That was why the Medjai guarded his crypt and killed or scared away anybody who came near it.

I'll wait until I see exactly how Cruise's character is seemingly resurrected before I judge its credibility in the story.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 06:16:03 PM »

Well, there was always some magic involved in defeating the Mummy, even going back to the Karloff film.  Granted, it usually involved spells more so than superhuman abilities, but the magic was there.  After all, Imhotep was immortal and extremely powerful.  Normal people couldn't stop him without help.  That was why the Medjai guarded his crypt and killed or scared away anybody who came near it.

Yes, but everyone involved was very much human. No innate magical powers or special abilities. They could use magic, but they weren't themselves supernatural. Kinda like driving a car. The vast majority of people who drive have no innate knowledge of automotive mechanics, so they couldn't build a car from the ground up.

I'll wait until I see exactly how Cruise's character is seemingly resurrected before I judge its credibility in the story.

Part of me hopes it turns out to be the trope of He Was The Villain All Along, insomuch as he winds up being the one who brings the evil with him. However, knowing Cruise and his propensity for being the Good Guy, I doubt that will happen. However, he did play the bad guy in Collateral, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »

However, knowing Cruise and his propensity for being the Good Guy, I doubt that will happen. However, he did play the bad guy in Collateral, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Yeah, but you still liked him in Collateral. But then, that's what I loved about the character of Jack Reacher: it wasn't about good or bad, but more right vs. wrong. SPOILER ALERT: And then there was what he was in Oblivion. Not entirely savory. Wink And he was a villain-esque character in Interview with a Vampire.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »

Yeah, but you still liked him in Collateral. But then, that's what I loved about the character of Jack Reacher: it wasn't about good or bad, but more right vs. wrong. SPOILER ALERT: And then there was what he was in Oblivion. Not entirely savory. Wink And he was a villain-esque character in Interview with a Vampire.

Ugh, don't get me started on that. Ann Rice started us all down the path of the "sexy, romantic vampire" motif, and it all sucked (no pun intended) with the exception of BtVS and Angel (Angel and Spike were the exception rather than the rule). I have never forgiven her for this, as it gave rise to schlock like Twilight and, by extension, 50 Shades. Vampires are monsters, not boyfriend material.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »

Ugh, don't get me started on that. Ann Rice started us all down the path of the "sexy, romantic vampire" motif, and it all sucked (no pun intended) with the exception of BtVS and Angel (Angel and Spike were the exception rather than the rule). I have never forgiven her for this, as it gave rise to schlock like Twilight and, by extension, 50 Shades. Vampires are monsters, not boyfriend material.
The "charming" vampire is an old concept. IMO the best, and most terrifying vampire archetype:

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: