Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Vented or Solid pommel?  (Read 1871 times)
Darth Xocni
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -48

The Dark Side gives me strength

« on: December 07, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »

Which would be better for a saber with LITE obsidian sound?

Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

"Failure and disobedience are one and the same... In the Sith tongue both translate as "treason". That is the wisdom of the ancients!"

Initiate LE V2 "Justice" - GB UEMG
Overlord "Ari iv Azinimas" - BR UEHG Obsidian V4

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »

Which would be better for a saber with LITE obsidian sound?

My first vote would be to not get the LITE soundboard, since it uses standard batteries and you cannot change either the sound fonts, nor adjust the volume.

However, between pommels I vote solid.  Since you cannot change the volume on the LITE soundboard, and it's really loud, I would go with a solid pommel.

Or you can go vented and pack the space with cotton or such to reduce the sound when you want it to be quieter.

Or you can get one of each and swap them out.

But my first choice would be a v3 or v4 soundboard.  However, if you're dead set on getting the LITE board, my first choice would be solid. I've got one on one of mine with Obsidian v4 sound and I find that it puts the volume down to just about where I would set it if I bothered to hook it up to a computer and adjust it.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Xocni
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »

My first vote would be to not get the LITE soundboard, since it uses standard batteries and you cannot change either the sound fonts, nor adjust the volume.

However, between pommels I vote solid.  Since you cannot change the volume on the LITE soundboard, and it's really loud, I would go with a solid pommel.

Or you can go vented and pack the space with cotton or such to reduce the sound when you want it to be quieter.

Or you can get one of each and swap them out.

But my first choice would be a v3 or v4 soundboard.  However, if you're dead set on getting the LITE board, my first choice would be solid. I've got one on one of mine with Obsidian v4 sound and I find that it puts the volume down to just about where I would set it if I bothered to hook it up to a computer and adjust it.
Thank you!! -1

I would prefer not to get LITE, but $$.

Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

"Failure and disobedience are one and the same... In the Sith tongue both translate as "treason". That is the wisdom of the ancients!"

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »

Wait - did I read this correctly?

I've heard that using a solid pommel on a sound enabled saber wasn't recommended at all.  In fact, it states just that on the selection of said pommel...

The sound needs somewhere to go.  Otherwise, it could damage the internals I was told.  

Seems like Vivectius has been doing so though...

I'd be curious to know which hilt you were going with Darth Xocni, and choose one that compliments the hilt.

Different pommels treat the sound very differently.  I have a Scorpion pommel on the Warlord, and it's quieter than my Aeon - which has an open-ended pommel.  Both have V4 sound.

I don't think I'd recommend a solid one though...personally at least. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »

Which saber ar you ordering?  If it's one of the ones with a giant hole for a vent, you may lose anything you stuff in there to muffle the sound.  Of course, there are DIY things to fix this, or you can order a different pommel.  Anyway, as Vivectius said, putting some cloth in there to muffle the sound if you want it quieter is a good way to go.  Then you can take it out when it's loud time.  Smiley

Darth Xocni
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »

Which saber ar you ordering?  If it's one of the ones with a giant hole for a vent, you may lose anything you stuff in there to muffle the sound.  Of course, there are DIY things to fix this, or you can order a different pommel.  Anyway, as Vivectius said, putting some cloth in there to muffle the sound if you want it quieter is a good way to go.  Then you can take it out when it's loud time.  Smiley
I am getting a Raven, which comes with vents automatically, but my brother is getting a Prophecy V3.

Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »

Never - NEVER - get a sound saber with a solid pommel! Even if it's only the Obsidian Lite sound board, always get a vented pommel. Anything else will destroy your speaker and (possibly) the board faster than you can say "OBSIDIAN"! And I'm sure you don't want that to happen Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »

My 2 cents worth, I would get the Catalyst pommel for the prophecy with or without sound. I'm NOT a fan of the one it comes with (1 large hole in it for sound) I feel it lesves the speaker open to damage, but that's just me

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Darth Xocni
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:03 AM »

Thanks!!

Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 03:36:51 AM »

Never - NEVER - get a sound saber with a solid pommel! Even if it's only the Obsidian Lite sound board, always get a vented pommel. Anything else will destroy your speaker and (possibly) the board faster than you can say "OBSIDIAN"! And I'm sure you don't want that to happen Wink

While I almost always bow to Racona's knowledge of all things technical, my DSI is going on 2 years old, with an Obsidian v3 board that works just fine and has had a solid pommel for all of that time. (I've also got one on a Liberator with a v4 board). That's my experience that I base my recommendation on.  Maybe I just got the most durable speaker/board in existence, but it's held up fine.  I've also dueled the heck out of it, and it survived a house fire last Feburary.

Now, from a physics point of view, yes, I can see where there is great potential to damage the speaker/board with a solid pommel, but, at least on my sabers with sound, there is 3-4" between the speaker and the pommel, and I would think that it would be less damaging to have a solid pommel at the end of that than pack the space completely full to muffle the sound.

Just so everyone knows, in case it's not obvious, and for everyone saying that the sound needs somewhere to go, having a solid pommel only cuts the sound down by about one third. It doesn't completely silence the saber, or confine all of the sound in the hilt, plenty of sound is getting out.

Fun fact:  Sound travels faster through a solid object than it does a liquid, and faster through a liquid than it does air.  This is why the speed of sound is variable, depending on where you are (it's 660 mph at ~30,000 feet above sea level, but it's 761 mph at sea level).

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:59 PM »

Well, if it works...I'm always interested in new or curious facts Cheesy But I think you're right, you would need some space between the pommel and the speaker. So it depends on the saber whether it's dangerous or not...seems that 3" is sufficient, and if you lower the volume, too, then it might even be completely harmless for the speaker.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »

While I almost always bow to Racona's knowledge of all things technical, my DSI is going on 2 years old, with an Obsidian v3 board that works just fine and has had a solid pommel for all of that time. (I've also got one on a Liberator with a v4 board). That's my experience that I base my recommendation on.  Maybe I just got the most durable speaker/board in existence, but it's held up fine.  I've also dueled the heck out of it, and it survived a house fire last Feburary.

Now, from a physics point of view, yes, I can see where there is great potential to damage the speaker/board with a solid pommel, but, at least on my sabers with sound, there is 3-4" between the speaker and the pommel, and I would think that it would be less damaging to have a solid pommel at the end of that than pack the space completely full to muffle the sound.

Just so everyone knows, in case it's not obvious, and for everyone saying that the sound needs somewhere to go, having a solid pommel only cuts the sound down by about one third. It doesn't completely silence the saber, or confine all of the sound in the hilt, plenty of sound is getting out.

Fun fact:  Sound travels faster through a solid object than it does a liquid, and faster through a liquid than it does air.  This is why the speed of sound is variable, depending on where you are (it's 660 mph at ~30,000 feet above sea level, but it's 761 mph at sea level).
Well, there ya go.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: