Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Single-Blade Flamberge w/ Bluetooth Color Changing  (Read 5445 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« on: December 11, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »

First off, credit where do - inspiration for the bluetooth driver comes from JediXIX: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=30735.0

Found a bulb that uses  the same app, so I figured it would have the same board. More or less, I was right - except my board didn't have any antenna wire. Fixed that during the build.

Tested the board and found it was running on a 7.4v power source and acted as a variable resistor for 8 LEDs. Well, since I'm only running four, I wanted to see if I could get it running on 3.7v so I could eliminate a few resistors.

Test was successful - some leftover US hilt components, one 18650 battery, one Obsidian v1 board, and one RGBW Cree XML later...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcyKLAhGEw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcyKLAhGEw</a>

Once the hilt was put back together,  I found out there was no range to the bluetooth signal (spotty connection even if I held the phone touching the hilt). Soldered a piece of wire to the antenna traces and ran it out the vented pommel. Now I've got color-changing range currently confirmed at 20ft+ (7m+).

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »

Unreal!  Props to both you and Jed!  I def remember when he did that, been wanting to mess with that but I'm not quite there yet.  SO wicked! 

I'm sure this will be everywhere eventually- like I bet all the smiths/ boards will have wicked stuff like this, and by then they'll be set up like Pokemon go- only ultra sabers go, or whatever but you know what I mean lol!  They'll all work with an app so we'll be able to bring our sabers around town and when we randomly bump into one another, we can throw down, and all the swings, clashes, lockups etc will register on the app and we can check the leaderboards and creep on our friends etc- like people could look me up and see my stats etc., shoot they could give it gps and really set it off- "o looks like rev took his saber out for a walk today, let's see how he did.  (Pulls up google map) o shoot look, first he walked down Main Street and ran into Jed, and totally cut him down, then he went East onto 1st and bumped into D7, who put up a decent fight, but eventually got hacked to pieces, then LR and LC tried to join forces and ambush him on his way back downtown there, wow what a battle 10 lock ups!  Geez, he beat them too, can anybody stop this guy?!"  Wink. He he

... ok maybe it wouldn't really be EXACTLY like that, and I'm probably getting carried away lol, but we all know this stuff is coming right?

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:45:37 PM »

Wow. That's a super cool function.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »

Sweet! This is how all emerald should be! it would be easy to conceal an antenna right in the edge of the switch, in the bezel or something. Maybe even just attached to a screw on the body somehwere...

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 04:00:57 AM »

What?  That's amazing - congrats on such an awesome customization Kouri!  And that Manticore emitter on the Flamberge lightsaber looks very nice as well. 

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »

Unreal!  Props to both you and Jed!  I def remember when he did that, been wanting to mess with that but I'm not quite there yet.  SO wicked! 

I'm sure this will be everywhere eventually- like I bet all the smiths/ boards will have wicked stuff like this, and by then they'll be set up like Pokemon go- only ultra sabers go, or whatever ...

We're kind of half-way there. The top-of-the-line NEC board can be hooked up to a wireless daughterboard that'll transmit saber telemetry to another system that'll handle playing the appropriate saber sounds on a designated saber system. Most of the PL boards have contacts for a RICE port, but those same contacts can be hooked into a bluetooth module for debugging with the mobile app.

And then there's the nutty stuff from the guys whipping up custom boards.

Sweet! This is how all emerald should be! it would be easy to conceal an antenna right in the edge of the switch, in the bezel or something. Maybe even just attached to a screw on the body somehwere...

Yeah, if I wanted, I could probably drill a couple of holes and run the wire along that engraved detail at the switch - but as it is now, it's super-simple to get at the rest of the electronics for testing and battery replacement.

What?  That's amazing - congrats on such an awesome customization Kouri!  And that Manticore emitter on the Flamberge lightsaber looks very nice as well. 

Yeah, I had the hilt leftover since I really only wanted the Flamberge crossguard adapter, and the Manticore emitter was one of the few that didn't look bad with the wider-than-standard Flamberge body.

Garou_of_Kar
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -20

Garou of Kar - KnightLighters:SBG

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:26 PM »

Oh

My

God.

Take my money!

~One cannot appreciate the Light until they have been lost in the Dark~

Owned sabers: 2 Dominix LE v4 with Obsidian Sound v4 BR with Quick Connect Coupler, Apprentice LE v4 stunt CG (grab bag), Aeon v3 stunt AS, Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 stunt GB (grab bag), Sentinel LE v4 with Obsidian Lite Sound CG, Dark Initiate v4 FO

Check out KnightLighters on Facebook and YouTube!

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:07:59 PM »

Once the hilt was put back together,  I found out there was no range to the bluetooth signal (spotty connection even if I held the phone touching the hilt). Soldered a piece of wire to the antenna traces and ran it out the vented pommel. Now I've got color-changing range currently confirmed at 20ft+ (7m+).

Nice work!  +1.

What you said here - that's the main reason it doesn't exist yet.  The aluminum hilt acts as a Faraday Cage and the remote signal just bounces right off it - so it needs an external antenna.

For it to be durable enough, the antenna would need to be designed into some kind of greeblie on the hilt - like the bits & bobs on a Menace.

Once that happens - look out!  Smiley

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »

Good stuff Kouri, if I don't say so myself  Wink . . . +1

I did find that if the end of the antenna wire is right at one of the openings in a vented pommel the bluetooth range works ok up to about 30cm . . . I guess it depends on how far away you'd want to connect . . . and of course Lord C is right about the aluminium hilt interference, will be interesting to see how the future unfolds  Cool

Mine is setup with 7.4v and a BuckPuck before the bluetooth driver board, and I also tested it with 4x AAA 6v, with a standard US 2ohm resistor, worked fine . . . did you use any resistors with your one 18650 battery ? or just straight into the VIN ? . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »

Take my money!

I've had my fun, so this'll probably wind up on eBay after a few more tests...

The aluminum hilt acts as a Faraday Cage and the remote signal just bounces right off it - so it needs an external antenna.

For it to be durable enough, the antenna would need to be designed into some kind of greeblie on the hilt - like the bits & bobs on a Menace.

Yeah, once I've replaced the board and hooked in a recharge port so this thing doesn't have to be opened again, I'm planning on drilling a couple of holes in this hilt and running the antenna down one of the grooves machined next to the switch hole.

Mine is setup with 7.4v and a BuckPuck before the bluetooth driver board, and I also tested it with 4x AAA 6v, with a standard US 2ohm resistor, worked fine . . . did you use any resistors with your one 18650 battery ? or just straight into the VIN ? . . .

I'm personally not a fan of pucks on muti-die LEDs since the puck limits current to 1000mA, and most of these color combos can be ran at 2000mA+. Rather than use resistors, though, I just added some extra diodes in series to drop the voltage to a safe level for each LED. Diodes just on the LED wires - Obsidian still gets full voltage from the battery - though on newer Obsidian boards, you'll lose volume on anything under 5v.

Green on the XML had a rated max of 3.9v, which is close enough to the ~4v of a fresh 18650 that I don't worry about it - wired straight to power.

Blue, White, and Red share a 0.3v diode on the positive line. That's enough to keep Blue and White happy.

Red gets another ~1v diode on the negative line leading back to the board.

Board has four positive contacts for each LED, but it's a bit redundant - it's actually a shared positive line. I'm planning on taking advantage of this to get flicker-on-impact from an economy board in my next test.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 01:12:36 AM »

Electronics are done, just need to tackle a few aesthetic details.

Using a BladeBuilder board with 8ohm 1W speaker - louder than the Obsidian v1 on a single cell, and now I've got a flicker on impact.

Also threw in a color-matching crystal pommel. Lights up when the kill key is pulled, regardless of blade ignition.

Antenna wires running along some of the hilt grooves.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:46:22 AM »

Updated video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jC1WIOaut4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jC1WIOaut4</a>

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:07:25 AM »

Impressive, most impressive indeed.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »

That is fantastic! great work Kouri!+1

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 03:21:52 AM »

Wow, this is amazing. Well earned point to you.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: