Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: To ALL GUARDIAN OWNERS - Is the Guardian suitable for spinning techniques?  (Read 4798 times)
Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« on: December 12, 2016, 01:24:44 AM »

Howdy folks, the only reason I ask is because I know that the Guardian is a bit on the heavy side, but my heart is set on it.  So for you Guardian owners out there, what is your experience in handling, wielding, and (especially) spinning using this saber? I am exactly 6' tall, and planning on purchasing it w/ a midgrade 36" blade.

Thank you much, please feel free to chime in on this as the issue of spinning is very important to me.  I look forward to your responses - varied may they be.

- Dizzy   Cool

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:28:24 AM »

While I'm not a Guardian owner, I have seen one of our better spinners here on the forum do some work with his. Skip to about 30 seconds. I'll let you judge for yourself.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDnasA_4pw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDnasA_4pw</a>

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:37:39 AM »

While I'm not a Guardian owner, I have seen one of our better spinners here on the forum do some work with his. Skip to about 30 seconds. I'll let you judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDnasA_4pw

Wow, excellent post, thank you good sir (and a point!).

Looks like he was twirling that Guardian just fine!   Cool

Keep it coming folks, and thanks for your replies!

- Dizzy

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:45:15 AM »

You're welcome.

Yeah, he's really good. His screen name is Samhain138, in case you want to PM him. I probably should have included that.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:49:28 AM »

You're welcome.

Yeah, he's really good. His screen name is Samhain138, in case you want to PM him. I probably should have included that.
Yeah I launched YouTube in a second browser and saw his name.  Maybe I'll PM him.  I'd like to know how tall he is and the size of the blades...  it looks like the weight of the G. hilt creates quite a bit of momentum.

Looking forward to this thing (my purchase is still about 4 weeks out as I am saving for it, but it's coming!).

- Dizzy

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:41:14 AM »

Yeah I launched YouTube in a second browser and saw his name.  Maybe I'll PM him.  I'd like to know how tall he is and the size of the blades...  it looks like the weight of the G. hilt creates quite a bit of momentum.

Looking forward to this thing (my purchase is still about 4 weeks out as I am saving for it, but it's coming!).

- Dizzy

The thing I've noticed about longer and heavier hilts, and I'd put the Guardian in that category, is that the length and weight can sometimes balance out the weight of the blade and make them more comfortable, but I use HG blades in all my sabers 99% of the time.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:53:03 AM »

The thing I've noticed about longer and heavier hilts, and I'd put the Guardian in that category, is that the length and weight can sometimes balance out the weight of the blade and make them more comfortable, but I use HG blades in all my sabers 99% of the time.

This is precisely what I was hoping for - thanks for the advice!

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:19:26 AM »

That is true. A heavier hilt, like a guardian or the war glaive I use, shifts the center of balance back. If you use a mid grade, it shifts it part way down the hilt. This makes for tight flips and easy spins as your hand can be right on the point of balance. My only reservation about the guardian is the points on the pommel. I would personally swap the pommel out for something low profile if you are doing any serious spinning.

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »

For the record, the only Ultrasabers saber that I would consider it a bad idea to spin is the Omen. I have one. I have spun it. It was not a good idea.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »

I'm about 6ft and those are 36 inch blades.  The guardian has a deep blade socket.  The blade in that particular video is a heavy blade which is why the momentum is different.  It feels right with a heavy blade vs a normal one.  Pick whatever you like though.

The guardian works fine, it's not my go to saber for trickier moves mostly because it has a bunch of knobs and edges.  The pommels a costume killer, it will catch sleeves, tabards, any loose parts.  That said it's still my favorite of all my US products.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 07:10:04 PM »

That is true. A heavier hilt, like a guardian or the war glaive I use, shifts the center of balance back. If you use a mid grade, it shifts it part way down the hilt. This makes for tight flips and easy spins as your hand can be right on the point of balance. My only reservation about the guardian is the points on the pommel. I would personally swap the pommel out for something low profile if you are doing any serious spinning.

For the record, the only Ultrasabers saber that I would consider it a bad idea to spin is the Omen. I have one. I have spun it. It was not a good idea.

Excellent - this is exactly what I've been hoping to hear!  I suspected that, after having seen Samhain's video, that the weight of the hilt would actually lend itself quite well to spinning.  Not that I know what I'm talking about - I don't.  But that idea just kinda stuck in my head.  Thanks for the input!

As far as the Dark Omen goes, that's quite the crossguard on it!  I suspect that, not only does that make the hilt top-heavy, but ergonomically insufficient.  And what's up with the Thundercats insignia?  Isn't that copyrighted or something?  Ah, but I digress...thanks again Ceph!

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »

Its not the weight.  Its the length of the hilt, the pommel and knobs/edges that are the issues with it.  Even then its not really anything to keep you from using it.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »

I'm about 6ft and those are 36 inch blades.  The guardian has a deep blade socket.  The blade in that particular video is a heavy blade which is why the momentum is different.  It feels right with a heavy blade vs a normal one.  Pick whatever you like though.

The guardian works fine, it's not my go to saber for trickier moves mostly because it has a bunch of knobs and edges.  The pommels a costume killer, it will catch sleeves, tabards, any loose parts.  That said it's still my favorite of all my US products.

Well if it ain't the man himself!  Great spinning good sir!  The only reason I want to use a mid grade is because it's supposed to be the brightest blade.  Thankfully however, these blades are not expensive and so I would presume that one could learn to spin w/ various blades.  Thanks for chiming in!

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »

Its not the weight.  Its the length of the hilt, the pommel and knobs/edges that are the issues with it.  Even then its not really anything to keep you from using it.

Thankfully, the "ring of knobs" can be removed!  However, I'll try my luck first with learning how to spin it (when I freaking GET the damn thing) w/ the pommel as-is. 

Thanks guys, points to all!!!

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »

Hi, Im nearly 6', and the Guardian's great with a 36" blade. Although its a heavy hilt, once you get used to it is perfect, and very comfortable to wield. If you like the hilt, go for it.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: