Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Close down any Yahoo accounts you have NOW!  (Read 3145 times)
Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« on: December 15, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »

Heads up everyone:

Good Morning.

Yahoo just announced another hack where a whopping billion accounts were hacked. What a Massive Epic Fail.

At this point, Yahoo has fallen down on security in so many ways I have to recommend that if you have an active Yahoo email account, either direct with Yahoo of via a partner like AT&T, get rid of it.

And in case you have employees who check their Yahoo account on lunch breaks... it's time to put Yahoo on the block list of your firewall and all filtering software & devices.

Hints And Tips For Yahoo Account Owners
Before you delete the account, get rid of all the folders and only then delete the account and open a gmail account instead.
Check if you have used your Yahoo password in other sites, and change the password and security questions for those accounts. And remember, never reuse your email password (or any other password tied to an account that holds sensitive data about you) at any other site.
If you used a mobile phone number in association with your Yahoo account, and you still use that mobile phone number, then SMS phishing (a.k.a. Smishing) is now a distinct possibility, so be very wary of smishes.
The forensic investigation is still going on, but it is highly likely that the bad guys initially got in through a spear phishing attack with a spoofed 'From' address. These types of attacks are hard to spot and employees tend to fall for them.

Yahoo have been going to the dogs for 15 years now.... I think they finally managed to kill themselves though. Their idea of security is closing their eyes, assuming if they cannot see an attacker, the attacker cannot see them.

Secure that sh*t people!

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »

But I like yahoo...
Yeah I got an email with they been hacked. It's like the 3rd or 4th time this year. Even Ashley Madison got a hold of me and tried to extort Bitcoin from me.
Sigh....maybe it is time to just go straight to Gmail. So much legwork needs to be done though to change my email from so many places

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »

I've been slowly changing things over to a private email server for some time now. Cutting out Yahoo entirely should be relatively easy.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »

I dropped Yahoo years ago, and gave myself fully over to Google.

Yes, I'm completely Google-fied now, but one password.  Logged into everything.  Syncs right across the board.  Pretty simple.

AND, it's web-based, so one can remain anonymous, if so desired...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »

True, it is a lot of work to make the switch, but how much more work is it to recover your stolen identity? how much work to fix the damage done from your compromised email account, and all the other accounts across the web that your email holds the keys to?

I have long been a proponent of getting the heck away from Yahoo, as their concern for users in non existent and has been so for over a decade, but now it is imperitive!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: