Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51405 times)
Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2016, 06:44:19 PM »

I'm not a Sith fan, either, but I thoroughly enjoyed that scene. I can justify it, because I'm a SW fan, and Vader was supposed to be the fearsome, terror inducing figure no matter where he went, but on the big screen, we never really got a glimpse as to why. Now we do. That's the Vader skill and personality we have been yearning for since 1977, and now we finally have it.

Was it over the top brutal? Yes. Was it evil? Absolutely. And that's what made it great, because that's who Vader is supposed to be. Like I said, I'm not a Sith fan, but the SW fan in me wanted to stand up and cheer.

Perfect! I think I'll read this out loud to them if it's fine with you.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2016, 01:41:48 AM »

Transitional Vader from PT to OT.

Exactly!

Perfect! I think I'll read this out loud to them if it's fine with you.

Good right ahead, that's why I offered it. I hope it helps. Also, if you need to, remind them that it's entertainment and fantasy. It's not like you just paid money to see a guy do that in real life.

I also talked with my 5 year old about it afterwards, because you could tell he was trying to process what he just saw.

I asked him if Vader did some cool moves. I asked if Vader was a good fighter. He said yes to both. I asked if he did good things or bad things with those cool moves. "Bad things." I then asked what did Vader do at the end of ROTJ. "He made the right choice and became a good guy at the end." He then smiled. Beautiful! At 5, he got it as best he could. This scene makes his redemption that much more meaningful and powerful. If your parents are into redemption, and I have a feeling they are, remind of them that it's part of his total arc working towards his final act.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »

In honor of the holidays:

"Said the cameo to the Star Wars faaaaaaans....

Do you see what I seeeeeeeeee?"

Nice! Point for this little nugget!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2016, 05:29:19 AM »

Exactly!

Good right ahead, that's why I offered it. I hope it helps. Also, if you need to, remind them that it's entertainment and fantasy. It's not like you just paid money to see a guy do that in real life.

I also talked with my 5 year old about it afterwards, because you could tell he was trying to process what he just saw.

I asked him if Vader did some cool moves. I asked if Vader was a good fighter. He said yes to both. I asked if he did good things or bad things with those cool moves. "Bad things." I then asked what did Vader do at the end of ROTJ. "He made the right choice and became a good guy at the end." He then smiled. Beautiful! At 5, he got it as best he could. This scene makes his redemption that much more meaningful and powerful. If your parents are into redemption, and I have a feeling they are, remind of them that it's part of his total arc working towards his final act.

While I would argue that Sith aren't "bad guys" that's not for this thread and doesn't detract from your neat story.  Smiley

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 05:32:23 AM »

The X-wings on Jedha have black stripes.   Black Squadron I suppose.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2016, 05:48:50 AM »

could call it 1 more swipe from EU, rogue squadron series.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »

Per the visual guide, Saw Gerrera's group had a total of six T-65s, but four of them were slowly getting more and more cannibalized to keep the other two flying.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

I wish I could tell you guys what I saw paralleled when I saw this movie, but it's something that I can't discuss on the forum.  I whispered it to my friend multiple times.  Let's just say that even though it didn't knock me out for a STAR WARS story, I saw some very eerie similarities between the movie and some real life events.  I can appreciate that personal take-away.

Would you be willing to discuss via PM?

Badass is badass good or evil.  Never met anyone who said they weren't a Vader fan

"Don't shoot him. You'll just make him mad."

"Bad things." I then asked what did Vader do at the end of ROTJ. "He made the right choice and became a good guy at the end."

No he didn't. He saved his kid. I've always questioned how this automatically makes him a good guy. Tongue

Per the visual guide, Saw Gerrera's group had a total of six T-65s, but four of them were slowly getting more and more cannibalized to keep the other two flying.

Saw this again on Christmas Eve. I'm not finished with TCW yet, but I had just finished the arc with Saw, and was instantly more disappointed in the character in the movie. NTM I noticed a blatant disregard for good story telling. Someone referenced trying to talk to Saw's sister. Unless he had another that I'm unaware of, Steela is long dead by the time R1 takes place. Oops.

Also confirmed my suspicions....I really don't like Cassian.

And reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy wish they could have done more with Chirrut and Baze.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »

Would you be willing to discuss via PM?
"Don't shoot him. You'll just make him mad."

No he didn't. He saved his kid. I've always questioned how this automatically makes him a good guy. Tongue
Saw this again on Christmas Eve. I'm not finished with TCW yet, but I had just finished the arc with Saw, and was instantly more disappointed in the character in the movie. NTM I noticed a blatant disregard for good story telling. Someone referenced trying to talk to Saw's sister. Unless he had another that I'm unaware of, Steela is long dead by the time R1 takes place. Oops.

And reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy wish they could have done more with Chirrut and Baze.

He saved his kid, and he turned his back on and destroyed the Sith. Killing the emperor and returning to the Light left a total of 0 Sith. It was the totality of his act. Lucas is on record as saying that act fulfilled the prophecy.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »

He saved his kid, and he turned his back on and destroyed the Sith. Killing the emperor and returning to the Light left a total of 0 Sith. It was the totality of his act. Lucas is on record as saying that act fulfilled the prophecy.
Yeah.....well Lucas ain't in charge no mo'. ô¿o

It's just that considering that he dies, he doesn't have much opportunity to show us his new colors. I guess we can consider it a done deal seeing as how he gets a Force ghost. Roll Eyes

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »

Yeah.....well Lucas ain't in charge no mo'. ô¿o

It's just that considering that he dies, he doesn't have much opportunity to show us his new colors. I guess we can consider it a done deal seeing as how he gets a Force ghost. Roll Eyes

Right in all those points. And, he verifies to Luke that there was still good in him. His eyes aren't yellow in the end, etc.

It's just like his turn to the DS. How can one act signal a complete change in ideology? One act didn't. He always walked the edge. Sometimes he was pulled to the Light, and sometimes he was pulled to the Dark, because he always acted more out of emotion than rational thought or logic. Because of this, some of his acts were noble, honorable, and good, while others were evil and hurtful. His last act, though, was fueled by his love and willingness to sacrifice himself to save someone. That's the Jedi in him that was never fully driven away, much like the darkness was never fully driven away in his youth. Had he survived, who knows.

In the end, though, he finished on the Light Side.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

Lucas is full of himself and doesn't have an understanding of the word "balance."

I'm of the firm belief that Anakin was fulfilling the prophecy when he turned to the Dark Side and started killing Jedi. A true balance to the Force would have been precisely two Jedi and two Sith, and at first, it was (Vader, Palpy, Ben, and Yoda). Later it becomes even more balanced because Ben and Yoda die, then Vader sacrifices himself to take out Palpy. This would have left Luke as the only Force User. Even though he said "I am a Jedi, like my father before me," he wasn't really a Jedi because he didn't go through all the indoctrination and stuff that Force Sensitives did. It's like knowing how to design a house and calling yourself an architect without ever having gone through school and certification.

But nooooo, they had to go crazy with the idea of Jedi surviving Order 66 and the subsequent purge, both pre and now post Disney. Seriously, the number of survivors makes me wonder exactly how Vader was so trusted by the Emperor if he couldn't accomplish a single task. It's approaching Superman levels of ludicrousness ("I'm the only survivor of the planet Krypton... Except for my cousin, a deranged psychopath, a genetically modified killing machine, an AI that likes to kill everything, a fascist dictator, his henchmen, a couple of explorers, these guys over here, those guys over there, and..." Come on now. There are apparently enough Kryptonian survivors for a varied enough gene pool to restart the damned civilization, but I digress...).

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »

I actually really liked Cassian by the end of the movie. At the beggining of the movie I was really mad that they did that to his character, but then they fixed it.

Yes, they were cool. Baze looked like one of the mercs in Kanjaclub (probably spelled that wrong) from TFA.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »

Lucas is full of himself and doesn't have an understanding of the word "balance."

I'm of the firm belief that Anakin was fulfilling the prophecy when he turned to the Dark Side and started killing Jedi. A true balance to the Force would have been precisely two Jedi and two Sith, and at first, it was (Vader, Palpy, Ben, and Yoda). Later it becomes even more balanced because Ben and Yoda die, then Vader sacrifices himself to take out Palpy. This would have left Luke as the only Force User. Even though he said "I am a Jedi, like my father before me," he wasn't really a Jedi because he didn't go through all the indoctrination and stuff that Force Sensitives did. It's like knowing how to design a house and calling yourself an architect without ever having gone through school and certification.

But nooooo, they had to go crazy with the idea of Jedi surviving Order 66 and the subsequent purge, both pre and now post Disney. Seriously, the number of survivors makes me wonder exactly how Vader was so trusted by the Emperor if he couldn't accomplish a single task. It's approaching Superman levels of ludicrousness ("I'm the only survivor of the planet Krypton... Except for my cousin, a deranged psychopath, a genetically modified killing machine, an AI that likes to kill everything, a fascist dictator, his henchmen, a couple of explorers, these guys over here, those guys over there, and..." Come on now. There are apparently enough Kryptonian survivors for a varied enough gene pool to restart the damned civilization, but I digress...).

When they talk about balance, it's always from the Jedi perspective, and it's always Jedi talking about it. That will always mean a lack of darkness. That is their definition of balance. It's not meant to be like measuring scales. Kind of like how Palpatine talks about having peace and security while blowing up planets. That's his idea of peace and security. All of his dissidents are eliminated.

And, finding single individuals who are trying desperately to hide, knowing they are hunted when, "there are so many uncharted settlements," while also trying to build an empire and the ultimate weapon would be a little difficult when you think of the size of a galaxy.

Have someone fly over Texas and throw a rock out of the plane. Now, you go out on foot and find that rock. Good luck.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »

When they talk about balance, it's always from the Jedi perspective, and it's always Jedi talking about it. That will always mean a lack of darkness. That is their definition of balance. It's not meant to be like measuring scales. Kind of like how Palpatine talks about having peace and security while blowing up planets. That's his idea of peace and security. All of his dissidents are eliminated.

And, finding single individuals who are trying desperately to hide, knowing they are hunted when, "there are so many uncharted settlements," while also trying to build an empire and the ultimate weapon would be a little difficult when you think of the size of a galaxy.

Have someone fly over Texas and throw a rock out of the plane. Now, you go out on foot and find that rock. Good luck.

Hmm... Well, if we know the T.E.L.L. (Time Elevation Latitude Longitude) of the plane, which we would due to instrumentations, we can use simple mathematics to narrow down the search to probably a five square kilometer area, which is not that difficult to comb over with a regular number of searchers.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: