Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51855 times)
Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:07 AM »

If you say that The Terminator is not a classic film, then I will have to doubt anything you say from here on out. T3 ended in the exact way that it should. Allowing Judgement Day to happen so that the events of the first film can take place. It's the very definition of a predestination paradox.

I did not say Terminator is not a classic film; what I said was it is not in the same league as Star Wars: the movies (9), the animation series, the spin offs, the industry of franchise and of course, sabers. I like Termninator, and I like a lot of other series.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »

Is nobody going to comment on how tall Tarkin was?  I had to go back and re-watch ANH (I use the term 'had to' loosely, I was glad to  Wink ) just to check if he really was Dahl's BFG.  He's not.  In fact everyone but Leia is taller than Tarkin in ANH.  Why does he tower over everyone in Rogue One?

Vader was boss AF  Shocked

That said, I almost wanted him to do a couple of tentative pokes at someone with his saber as an in-joke nod to the fight between him and Obi-wan in ANH  Cheesy

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »

Grand Moff Tarkin was one of the best kept secrets. Again, all the classics from ANH revived in Rogue One fit the bill perfectly. I can't recall any movie spin offs that have done it so well.  Smiley

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »

Is nobody going to comment on how tall Tarkin was?  I had to go back and re-watch ANH (I use the term 'had to' loosely, I was glad to  Wink ) just to check if he really was Dahl's BFG.  He's not.  In fact everyone but Leia is taller than Tarkin in ANH.  Why does he tower over everyone in Rogue One?

Vader was boss AF  Shocked

That said, I almost wanted him to do a couple of tentative pokes at someone with his saber as an in-joke nod to the fight between him and Obi-wan in ANH  Cheesy

Tarkin seemed too virile in his posture. Too much chest depth. I think I would've preferred see his reflection, and never quite his face directly. That scene made me think it was years in advance of ANH. But that would've put Leia too young for the end of RO. I suspect they were just putting Tarkin as dominant. Someone just thought he was a tall slender old man.

The pokes we see in ANH look similar to what I see in videos of real Kendo matches etc. Cautious moves rethought and cancelled etc. They were feeling each other out. The choreography was more about what a fight would be and less about what an audience would find visually most impressive. The duel was cautious and conservative for each their own fitting reasons, I think. Vader, who lost 3 limbs due to overconfidence the last time they dueled. Obi Wan, who is old and out of practice against a force sensitive foe.

There was some taunting there.
"You underestimate my power." to "Now, I am the master."
"I have the high ground." to "I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Remember, the ominous Vader we see force whipping rebels wilts in the presence of Obi Wan, who left him dependent on that suit, tank and respirator. He would be unwise to lower his defenses.

The technique we see in ESB is Vader toying with Luke, not really trying to defeat him. ROTJ has Vader using two hands part of the time, as Luke has improved.

I still can't get over the red tint in Vader's lenses. I never noticed until I got annoyed by it in RO. I'm watching ROTJ, and there are the red lenses.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »

Overall I did like the film....that out of the way.  I still felt this was an unnecessary story to tell, at least in movie form.  I never once (nor anyone I know) had the drive to kn ow about the people who obtained the Death Star Plans.. it was a plot point and nothing more.  But that is how I feel about the Anthology films anyway, just my opinion.  I'll do a pro/con list to sum up:

Cons:
- I did not find the leads (Jones and Luna) to be very interesting and did not feel any Chemistry between the two.  TBH, they were rather dull.
- Bringing in CG Tarkin and Leia was a nice touch to connect it to the OT but it really took me out of the film as they looked like Video Game characters.
- It was too big of a story really.  What I mean is instead of big battles on planet and off, this should have been more Spy movie than War movie.  One or two character infiltrating the bases.
- The Music was awful.  It was overloud and did not match the tones (with few exceptions). 

Pros:
-K-2so, Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus were the characters that stood out.
- The film as whole (except for the music) was very well crafted. 
- The connections forward to ANH and backward to Rebels was very nice to see.
- Krennic was a surprise in that he wasn't the type of villain i thought he was going to be.  Much more animated..(Are We Blind!!)
-  The Biggest Pro of all......KRIFFING VADER IN BEAST MODE!    Seriously, not only do we find out Vader lives in freaking Barad-dûr but we see why his name brings Terror across the galaxy.  I would watch a whole film of Vader wading through Rebels.

Like I said, not a horrible film but nor was it great.  The one discussion though is one of its connections to Rebels.  In the Rebel HQ You hear them page General Syndulla....so...was it Cham or did Hera get a promotion and IF it was Hera (the Ghost was in the fleet)...where are Kanan and Exra......

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »

It was likely Hera since the Ghost and Chopper were present on Yavin.   The Phantom (whichever version they might have in a few years time) was missing.  So if Kanan and Ezra were still alive, they probably had the Phantom with them.   Though Mon Mothma and Bail Organa decide they need the Jedi now, thus going after Kenobi (the Key to destroying the Sith) to make sure the Alliance rallies against the Death Star.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »

I'm just glad there hasn't been any comments on this thread about the lack of Bothans in the movie.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »

Is nobody going to comment on how tall Tarkin was?  I had to go back and re-watch ANH (I use the term 'had to' loosely, I was glad to  Wink ) just to check if he really was Dahl's BFG.  He's not.  In fact everyone but Leia is taller than Tarkin in ANH.  Why does he tower over everyone in Rogue One?
I believe Peter Cushing was 5ft 11 when he was alive. So not exactly short. Personally, I see nothing wrong with them having him appear a bit taller than the over Imperial officers.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »

I'm just glad there hasn't been any comments on this thread about the lack of Bothans in the movie.

Grin

Someone in the Theater asked about Bothans after the movie

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »

Grin

Someone in the Theater asked about Bothans after the movie

My reaction might have been:

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 07:29:20 PM »

my group was asked for an interview after the movie....felt like a VIP that night.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »

my group was asked for an interview after the movie....felt like a VIP that night.

Nice!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »

My reaction might have been:

I turn into a teacher lol

The first step to celebrity  Tongue

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »

comical part was the asking for interviews after the show. "oh we need a smoke 1st" "go ahead! we'll let you back in!"

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 09:27:19 PM »

"Are you kidding me?  I'm blind!"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: