Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51831 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 04:53:34 AM »

I believe Peter Cushing was 5ft 11 when he was alive. So not exactly short. Personally, I see nothing wrong with them having him appear a bit taller than the over Imperial officers.

Right? This seems like a super nit-picky thing.  Personally, I was a BIG fan of CGI Tarkin.  He was one of my favorite things about this movie.  Btw, Krennic is also 5'11, so I see nothing wrong with having Tarkin be a little taller. 

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 05:22:15 AM »

Wow, copping some real attitude from people for pointing out he was taller in R1 than he was in ANH.  It's cool, sorry for speaking up y'all, I'll drop out of this thread.

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2016, 05:52:27 AM »

Well, I don't think anyone is "giving you attitude." Tone is pretty hard to read over the internet, but if you want to take it personally, I suppose that's your right, man.  I've seen a TON of people pointing out Tarkin's height all over the web and a lot of others don't see the big deal.  That's all that was said.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »

The height and physicality stood out to me the first time watching the film. It affected my involvement in the scene. If I left out things that others call nit-picky, even the quality of my own work would go down. I'm not gonna destroy the movie makers over it, but I don't see pointing it out as negative. It stood out to me, so I might mention it as well. It's not wrong to see these things. Seeing it in production helps film makers make a better film. If we can't talk about it after it's made, that's limiting for people to process.

On the issue of people expressing their feelings of films "positive" or "negative". Seeing a weakness in a film is not negative. Calling someone a name for being less stoked than you would be negative. Let's be responsible for how we treat people who like or dislike something. Have enough self control to let someone express their feelings without judging it as super this or that.

(Ducks too late. Stumbles. Can't get up.)

Why has it become popular to bash the prequels, but no one is allowed to see the flaws in TFA? I enjoyed all the films. The prequels were a different kind of story telling than the originals. TFA made some serious mistakes in the writing that put it firmly in place to weaken the arc of original characters for me. I enjoyed the first part, and not some later parts.

(Gets shot. Dies honest and a martyr for protecting the sanctity of moral lessons in film.)

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »

That's right.  (But I didn't see any name calling.  We're adults, FFS.  Adults with LIGHTSABERS! )  Anyway, what might be a big deal to one person means nothing to someone else.  It's entirely subjective for the most part.  For example, the music in Rogue One was nearly unbearable to me, but that's my music theory background coming into play.  It nearly destroyed the movie experience for me.  However, I suspect the majority of fans wouldn't be affected by this, nor would it be considered something "major" to them.  That doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong.  

One thing I wanted to see in Rogue One but didn't get was some kind of cameo by Sidious.  Even if it was just a hologram, I was hoping he'd make an appearance.  I mean, everyone else was there.  Why not the Emperor?

Honestly, you could give me a whole movie with CGI Tarkin and I'd be first in line to see it.  That didn't bother me at all.  Quite the opposite, really.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »

Other than the lack of the crawl/scroll and the abrupt beginning, I somehow didn't notice the music. I left like, "I think it was the usual type music. Was it?" But it was just the usual at the end credits.

CGI Tarkin felt like a video game to me. Best I've ever seen, yet still obviously CGI. I know they had to do something. I didn't want to see recasting with look alikes. I was impressed with the reflection, and lost that feeling with direct view.

Despite no character using the Force, I felt that the Force had a purpose for each of them to play. When it was done with them, they died. Not before accomplishing what was needed and perhaps learning a lesson they needed to die at peace. In ANH, the Force was not so visualized for the audience. We see mind trick and Obi disappear. But Luke trusting in the "hokie religion" for the final shot at the Death Star was sort of like a parallel for faith in the story. "I'm one with the Force. The Force is with me." was something along that line as well. The Force took an unseen guiding role so things would come together to get the plans to the Rebels. In this way, they did a good job of keeping themes that I think made SW last through the years.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:43 AM »

Chirrut 100% used the Force, if you ask me.  It was a different connotation, but I was really behind how they did that.  I thought it was perfectly done and demonstrated something that Maz said in Episode 7.  You don't have to be a Jedi to know the Force.  Chirrut knew the Force quite intimately and he trusted what he could not see or explain.  I SERIOUSLY admire the writers for the way they handled that for sure. 

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »

Chirrut 100% used the Force, if you ask me.  It was a different connotation, but I was really behind how they did that.  I thought it was perfectly done and demonstrated something that Maz said in Episode 7.  You don't have to be a Jedi to know the Force.  Chirrut knew the Force quite intimately and he trusted what he could not see or explain.  I SERIOUSLY admire the writers for the way they handled that for sure. 

100% agree ... i always thought he was a no Jedi force user warrior and i loved this idea ... But it seems that he was just a warrior with a lot of faith Wink

But it is sure that Chirrut is one of the best character in the SWU Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

As far as Tarkin goes...it was weird to me at first cause of how much screen time he actually had but seeing it twice now and its really growing on me. I know its CGI but i liked how they had him in there and the people I went with actually couldn't tell.

I also do really love how they used the force despite no character being a Jedi

P.S still keep playing that Vader scene over and over in my head...

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »

If you ask me, they used a disproportionately large amount of the "CGI character" budget on Tarkin compared to Leia. It was Ant-Man Michael Douglas compared to Tron Legacy Jeff Bridges. Tarkin was extremely well done to the point that I thought they were using Wayne Pygram with prosthetics like in Ep III. Leia, however, was in Uncanny Valley territory.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The last 2-3 minutes was worth it all. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Finally a scene befitting how badass Vader is supposed to be. Thanks for the mild heads up, Jed. I also dug the scene with Krennic getting choked out. That was pretty sweet.

Was I the only one that thought it kind of had a surreal feeling that the movie didn't exactly feel SW?.............at least until the very end? I think it had something to do with the lack of this...

I loved the used of the digital makeup for Tarkin and Leia. The other throwbacks seemed a little forced, especially the scene bomb of Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba. Anybody else think it would have been highly unlikely those two just happened to be leaving the same day that are gets wiped out? (Or did I miss something*)

I loved how they introduced a spiritual aspect to the universe. At first I was opposed to this idea that a non-Force-sensitive having a connection to the Force. But after seeing the movie, I thought it was achieved brilliantly. I also liked how this movie was far more grounded by Ep4, in its expansion of weapons and vehicles. I thought they did a good job of not going nuts.

But I do have to ask.....Is there someone trying desperately to over compensate in the vehicle design department? Roll Eyes In the last 2 movies, the personal craft of the main baddie has had ridiculously sized wings.

The U-Wing wasn't much better.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and can't wait to see it again.

Anybody else think there was a nod to Starkiller (Galen Marek) in Galen Erso's Imperial garb?

I absolutely hated how white-plastic the Star Destroyers looked.

Tell me the superstructure doesn't look like an unpainted model kit. Also, the physics behind that little hammer-head ramming maneuver bugged the shell out of me. An SD has to have a minimum of 20x the mass as that corvette. It's not going to be pushed into the other destroyer. I liked the concept, but the execution was severely flawed.

More WTF moments:
- Vader chilling on what looked like Mustafar.
- Hero-boy saving the day after taking a fall that should have killed him twice.
- Saying the DS had multiple reactors? Last check there was only one.
- Talk a big game about the DS going into hyperspace, and we don't get to see it? Angry

* Perfectly possible I missed some subtle plot points. I was exhausted Friday night, and nearly dosed off 3 times while watching.

Judging by the ending...hours.

The encounter on Jedha was maybe a few days or weeks before we saw them again on Tatooine.  A few sunrises of travel between worlds and a few on Tatooine after A New Hope starts.

I would have thought minutes.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »

Wouldn't the Hammerhead maneuver work the same way a tugboat pulls a massive ocean liner (minus gravity, and friction)?

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »

Wouldn't the Hammerhead maneuver work the same way a tugboat pulls a massive ocean liner (minus gravity, and friction)?
This.

Because there is no gravity (or very little gravity, given the orbital location) and no air to provide resistance, I can totally see that Hammerhead pulling it off.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »

Anybody else think there was a nod to Starkiller (Galen Marek) in Galen Erso's Imperial garb?

Yeah it was supposed to be a nod to him...though people thought they were actually going to have starkiller in it before release.
I absolutely hated how white-plastic the Star Destroyers looked.
That was done on purpose... the original trilogy used models and they wanted to make it feel like the original trilogy were they could instead of doing CGI for them. Its the same reason when they switch to inside a X or Y wing it's an old film grain look. I actually liked it.

On the note of the ships..they just following the shuttle designs from the imperial shuttle and adding to it and with the DS...In new hope they say hit the main reactor that will set off a chain reaction just like they do in rogue. No they never say there's more than one but with a station that big it would make sense that there was.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »

Did anyone else notice the OTHER new TIE variant?  The one that looked very much like the TIE/striker, but had a flatter, wedge shaped front end and the two "wings" attached at the rear end by more solar panel material?

Please tell me I didn't imagine seeing a few of those at various points on Scarif.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: