Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51400 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: December 16, 2016, 04:52:35 AM »

!!!WARNING!!! !!!WARNING!!! !!!WARNING!!!

This is your final warning, Rogue One spoilers may follow.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »

Oh . . . I've been holding this in, lol . . . I don't have much time right now, so here's only a couple of my thoughts . . .

Darth Vader final scene, wielding his lightsaber and the slaughter . . . OMG . . . EPIC  Cool Cool Cool . . . the whole movie is almost worth it, just for that few minutes . . .  Grin

I've been thinking about some of the plot points (still processing), and I LOVE the fact that the weakness to the Death Star was designed on purpose, as a FU by Galen to the Empire War Machine, and the Empire didn't know it, but Krennik did, just before "his" Death Star was aiming down at him . . . It was one of those things in ANH that always was in the back of my mind, that a small fighter could blow it up was pretty weak, but this new part of the story makes that completely legitimate to me now . . .

The other thing that's been on my mind is how Vader's Star Destroyer came out of Hyperspace RIGHT IN THE BATTLE . . . This is how you do it . . .  Cool

Like I said, I'm still processing the things that stood out to me . . . I resonate with Chirrut's mantra and faith in the Force . . . The real sacrifice of ALL the main characters . . . The rivalry between Tarkin and Krennik . . . LOVE the cameos by Red Leader & Gold Leader . . . many many more . . .

Overall I REALLY enjoyed ROGUE ONE . . . I'll have to wait till "my" hype settles down, but I really think this could be near the top of my favorite SW movies . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:31 AM »

I think I heard a "General Syndulla" in the Back ground in the temple on Yavin IV Smiley

I really loved this movie Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:52 AM »

I think I heard a "General Syndulla" in the Back ground in the temple on Yavin IV Smiley

I really loved this movie Smiley

I missed that, cool . . .

We do see the Ghost (or the same ship design) to left of screen at Yavin IV early on, and a few times during the final Battle over Scarif . . . Looking forward to how they tie in with the Rebels series . . .  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »

I missed that, cool . . .

We do see the Ghost (or the same ship design) to left of screen at Yavin IV early on,

I seen that Smiley

and a few times during the final Battle over Scarif . . . Looking forward to how they tie in with the Rebels series . . .  Smiley

Not that  Grin

I also love the fact that the weakness of the Death Star was designed by a "rebel" ... that make the plot of ANH more credible Smiley

The final battle is AWESOME ... both in space and on the ground like in the ROTJ ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

I missed the Ghost. I'll have to check for it, because I really enjoyed the movie, and I will see it again.

There were several things I liked. I liked how it tied together Episode III, Rebels, and Episode IV. I thought they did a wonderful job of that.

I also liked how they treated the main characters who didn't make it through the movie. No questions about where they are afterwards.

Vader single handedly whooping some tail? Yes, please. Finally! We finally get to see him being a bada$$.

Why were Kyber mines in total lock down after the Empire rose? Check. Got that answered.

As mentioned before, the "flaw" now being intentional, yeah, I liked that, too.

I loved Chirrut.

I, too, am still trying ti digest the plot, but there were some minor, non plot centered things I didn't like. First, the fact that they typed the names of the locations on the screen. That's not SW to me. We're not told where we are through text, we're told where we are through dialogue, and they successfully did that. If it was important enough to know, it was mentioned by characters several times. The text was unnecessary and out of place.

Also, I hate to say this, but I didn't like Vader's look. The end makes it seem like we are seeing the beginning of Vader's chase to get Leia's ship, which is where ANH starts, right? So he should look almost exactly like we see him in the beginning of that film, and it wasn't so. The neck of his helmet was disproportionately large, and his physical build was far too small. It looked more like cosplay and less like a large budget movie.

However, these are minor things that will not detract me from saying this movie is solid and enjoyable.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »

It looked like Star Wars. It sounded like Star Wars. Little things that shouldn't matter somehow made it not feel like Star Wars. No scrolling of the beginning setting. No blast of the intro music. Just a sudden beginning space scene.

Digital people scenes felt like a Star Wars video game cut away. (Tarkin, Leia)

Vader's red eyes...  Huh

Respectable characters. Good performances. It's the story of giving your all for the slimmest hope.

Edit: I guess they were red in ANH. Even the odd neck. It showed so much more prominently this time. http://www.starwarshelmets.com/RotS2ANHvader_comp.htm

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »

Vader's red eyes...  Huh

Did he have them in this one? I didn't think so. That's one thing I'm happy to see go from ANH.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 04:51:09 AM »

Saw it this afternoon, so some quick thoughts

First, I really enjoyed it.

That said, the pace was a little  hit or miss, sometimes it was perfect, other times it was just...not bad, but odd.

Love K2-SO.  Very interesting and entertaining droid character.  Love that they didn't overwhelm us with TIE Striker and U-Wing, and we still had mostly the classic TIE/ln, X-Wings, and Y-Wings.  Loved seeing Bail step out of the shadows.  Loved that the "Shoretroopers" seemed like they had a place in the tactical doctrine.  REALLY loved the Deathtroopers having what I took to be encrypted comms/vocoders.  Was taken by surprise by the Gold/Red leader cockpit shots from ANH.  Thought Leia looked good, Tarkin had some scenes that were very believable, and some that felt just a hair off.

Vader massacring his way through rebel troopers was frelling awesome.

Also liked the realistic look to the ground battle scenes, seeing troopers take hits to the head and drop like they ought to.

I hadn't taken a hugely close look at the shoretroopers/tank crew as I might have, before going to the theater, but the angularity of the helmets that I had looked at in passing had given me the impression that they looked a great deal like the deathtroopers.  I am glad that is not the case, and they are quite distinctively different, yet related to the overall stormtrooper aesthetic.

I'm sure there will be more thoughts later.

Oh, wait.

VADER'S FRELLING CASTLE!!!!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 05:20:46 AM »

I'm pretty lukewarm about Rogue One.  I debated on even speaking up about it, but I'll just toss my thoughts out here.  I don't require agreement or validation, nor do I expect it, but I guess it provides a different point of view.  Or something.  Anyway, here.

Pros:

-Obviously Vader, especially the end scene.  Seeing him in the bacta tank (or whatever type of tank that was) creeped me out in the best way.

-TARKIN.  I got so excited when I saw him, I think I legit jumped out of my seat for a second.

-Director Krennic was a hot mess, holy crap.  I actually liked that.  I liked seeing his cocky ass fail and screw things up. 

-Krennic and Tarkin snarking at each other.

-Vader choking the crap out of Krennic (I swear he enjoyed it).

-I really liked Chirrut and Baze.  Chirrut's take on the Force resonated with me for personal reasons I probably can't discuss on the forum.  I loved the friendship between him and Baze. 

-K-2SO completely stole this movie.

Cons:

-I DESPISED the music.  It almost ruined the movie for me completely, if I'm being honest.  Awful score.  TERRIBLE execution.  It didn't go with what I saw on screen at all.  We picked the score apart at work today and it's just . . . no.  Please, for the love of whoever, don't ever hire Michael Giacchino again.  He does NOT understand the themes and nuances necessary to carry Star Wars.  Let me stress that he is not a bad composer by any means.  I've liked quite a bit of his other work, but he was the wrong composer for this movie.  Jeez, I could barely sit through it.  Music is very, very important to me, so this was a HUGE factor.

-Couldn't stand Jyn.  Hated her little "motivational" speech.  The "I'm so tough that I don't care about anything . .. oh wait, JUST KIDDING!" attitude she had?  Didn't believe it for a second.  Didn't really like Cassian, either.  Both of them felt very flat.  Their chemistry was terrible.  I'm fairly indifferent about Bodhi.  Galen wasn't awful, but I was so sick of the word "Stardust" by the time it was over, I could have Force choked myself.

-A lot of things were way too convenient to be believable to me.  I'm not going to sit here and pick them apart one by one, but from a plot standpoint?  My suspension of disbelief when it came to the Rebellion side of things was severely tested.  I found myself thinking, "come on, now!" more than once.

-There was no crawl.  Familiar musical themes were severely lacking. It didn't feel much like Star Wars to me in many parts. 

It was kind of a miss for me in general.  I really, really wanted to like it.  I truly did.  But I just didn't really connect with it.  Ah, well.  Can't love it all, I suppose.  Glad to see many of you enjoyed it! 

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 06:32:39 AM »

I finally figured out what the U-Wing reminds me of.

Now, obviously, the U-Wing is a lot bigger than a little one-man starfighter, but the basic lines really made me think of that.

Also, in addition to being happy that we weren't overwhelmed with the U-Wing (only 2 in the whole movie), I also really liked how it was used, as a spec ops insertion vehicle and gunship, for the most part, that could put on the speed when needed.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »

Loved it! Vader culling them all at the end showing he is the Lord of the Dark Side!  Cheesy

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

I really liked it, but the night as a whole, outside the movie, was such a catastrophic disaster I can't think straight.

Liked bacta Vader, but God! Could they put a beefy Vader in a suit?! Make him look menacing, not like ep. 3 Vader...Pencil neck.
Loved Tarkin, thought that was a touch of cool. Loved the fact they all died, no lingering "where are they"
When I saw the Death Star pop up in the horizon towards the end, I said it pretty loudly "OH SH#T!"
Almost broke a year when K died.
Loved the explanation of kyber Krystal's, and their importance to star wars as a whole, not just a fanboy topic anymore.
Thought the cameos from ANH was interesting, and Jimmy Smits popping up was cool.
It did kinda tarnish the rebellion a bit. Made them look a bit evil, if that means anything. But then, kinda wussy and sitting back on their hands.
Overall, some awesome deaths! Yes, Vader going all video game, fanboy ape sh#t, totally dark side killer crazy we could only imagine to this point was amazing. I was at that point, "pass the f'n card off you idiot!!!"
Really enjoyed it, need to see it again to fully experience it. The music wasn't great, and a score can make a full movie great, but it didn't deter me.

No points, just fist bumps baby!

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »

I saw the 2 cantina thugs (the arm Kenobi takes) lots of goodies of the film.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »

When Saw Gurrera took a breath out of his mask, all I saw was Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet; he even had that crazy look in his eye.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I was really pleased with how well they were able to capture the aesthetic of the OT (as brand new, and shiny as it looks now). Watching the events play out, it felt as if I were watching one of scenarios from the GCW RP play out, or a game of Imperial Assault. I was also quite impressed with the scope, and scale of the planets, cities and starships.

The one thing that made this movie work for me in the way The Force Awakens didn't (which in not to say I didn't enjoy TFA), was that everyone suffered; AKA meaningful character growth. Wink Nostalgia, be damned!

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: