Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51388 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

I enjoyed the movie very much.  

I have to say that I didn't like that the Crawl wasn't there, I almost left the movie when it didn't start the way every other Star Wars film began, but I restrained myself.  I also have to agree with Noctis in regards to the music.  It was not our typical Star Wars music and I think it made the movie just a little less memorable for me.  

However I think the saving grace in the movie was K2SO "Alan Tudyk"  he was awesome and his comic relief throughout was just fantastic:  "Congratulations on being rescued, Please don't resist"  "You will die in the void of space, Not me! I can survive in space."
regarding her blaster, " You’re letting her keep it? Would you like to know the probability of her using it against you? It’s high. It’s very high."

I loved the fact that there were so many characters from Ep IV in this movie:  The Cantina thugs, R2 and C3PO, Red and Gold leader, CGI Tarkin, and even sad looking CGI Leia.  This helped solidify the timeline for me and made it reminiscent of Ep IV.   I also loved the new characters especially  Chirrut and Baze, to me they were the Han and Chewie of this film.  I love the camaraderie between them and the fact that even though their job as Cyber Crystal Guardians was no longer a thing, they still had each others backs.  I would have to say that the battle scene with Baze and Krennic's trooper squad was awesome.  The fact that after Chirrut died Baze started up the liturgy of "I'm one with the Force, and the Force is with me." and single handedly killed like 6 of them and it was pretty awesome, since he supposedly stopped believing in the force.    

Even though there were some issues with the movie I still felt that it was a Star Wars movie and will definitely go back and watch it again.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »

Okay, so having had a few days to marinate over the film, here are my further thoughts and opinions on it (which I couldn't really do in my non-spoiler review).

LACK OF STORY CRAWL

I understand they didn't include one, but I felt it made the opening very jarring. I know a lot of youtube reviewers are saying that the movie is better if you have read the book Catalyst. There have also been some reports of people not understanding that this is episode 3.5 not episode 8. I think if any movie needed an opening crawl, it was this one.

SETTING THE SCENE
I found the opening 20 mins to be very jumpy as we cut from planet to planet in a fast paced way, introducing some of the characters we need to know. Again, from a film making point-of-view, I understand why this was done, but it came across as slightly disorientating.

THE REBELLION
Throughout the franchise we have always seen the rebellion as the "good guys". However, this movie did an interesting thing and showed that even though they are the good guys, they still have to do some "bad" and unsavoury things if they want to achieve victory. This was definitely a "war movie" that just happened to be set in the Star Wars universe, and in war both sides always end up doing some unsavoury things.

K2S0
Definitely the best and most well developed character in the movie. I think if R2D2 or Chopper could actually speak, this is what they would be like.

SO. MANY. CHARACTERS.
Apart gym Jyn, Galen, K2S0 and Krenic, without doing a google search, I find it hard to remember the names of all of the characters. I remember their actions though. And most of them are very under-developed, mainly because the movie is eager to move the plot along. I really would have liked some more backstory to Donnie Yen's character and his friend (mostly, HOW they met and why they are so close). And Forest Whitaker was wasted as Saw Gerrera.

THE SCORE
I found it standing out in a bad way in many places throughout the movie. And, given where this movie takes place in the SW timeline, I thought it a missed opportunity not to incorporate some of John Williams excellent score from Ep. 4. However, in his defence, Michael Giacchino only had 4 weeks to score the film. A massive achievement, but in places it really is evident.

THE ACTION
Space battles (that nicely and cleverly incorporated footage of Red Leader and Gold leader from the original 1977 movie). While Return of the Jedi is not my favourite of the original trilogy, it does has the best space battle of the trilogy. The space battle in Rogue One was epic. I also liked when the rebels are escaping and Vader's ship shows up out of hyperspace how some ships crash into the destroyer. A nice touch.

The beach battle scene was definitely worthy of the war movie feel Gareth Edwards was going for. Elsewhere, Donnie Yen does what Donnie Yen does (that Storm Trooper armour is crap if Donnie can take them down with a staff and Ewoks can take them down with spears).

THE CGI
The destruction of Jedha and the Imperial base were both really well done (take note Roland Emmerich, Michael Bay etc. THAT is how you do massive destruction in a movie).

Princess Leia - she looked chubby and very unrealistic. And personally, given how much she was in the movie, it was unnecessary. They could have cast a lookalike and shot her from the back/side.

Grand Moff Tarquin - Looked much better than Leia, but if the trailer for War of the Planet of the Apes has taught us, motion capture can make us believe non-human characters are "real". The technology just isn't there for humans. Yet. Given the story, Tarquin had to be in the movie, but I felt he was over-used. They could have limited his screen presence, thrown in some more mirror reflections and maybe even a hologram too. It did take me out of the movie a little as I was focussing more of the VFX rather than the actual character, but a valiant attempt.

FAN SERVICE
Blue Milk. The Ghost from Rebels. Hearing "General Syndulla" and "Captain Antilles" over the tannoy. The criminals from Mos Eisley on Jedha. There are more and it was done in a different way to The Force Awakens. While in TFA, it was more "remember those things you loved from the other trilogy?" whereas here it was more "remember all the cool stuff that is coming up in Ep. 4".

VADER
Totally underused. Two scenes. That's all we get? Granted, the first scene was satisfying because you truly feel the terror of just being in his presence. However, when he opens up his can of Sith whoop-ass in the hallway……he was definitely like the boogeyman in a horror movie. It is the only scene in the movie that has stuck with me since and it probably one of the best scenes from ANY Star Wars movie.

OTHER STUFF
WHAT THE HELL was with the tentacle hentai mind-reading scene?

Everyone dies, which they kinda had to. And, even though we have only just met these characters, I felt more emotion to (some of) their deaths than I did when Han died in The Force Awakens (probably because as soon as Han walked onto that bridge, they telegraphed the fact he was going to die).

The movie drags a little in places.

Some emotional moments with Jyn and the rebellion never quite had the impact they should have.

As a whole, the movie does definitely enhances Ep. 4 and the imposing menace of the Death Star.

The Rebellion did seem a bit wimpy before the big mission.

FINAL VERDICT
As I said in my non-spoiler review, it is definitely the best prequel we have got. I didn't find it as exhilarating as The Force Awakens, but I can understand why some people may prefer it over TFA. I wasn't blown away, but I did thoroughly enjoy it. And we finally got to see a live action scene of Vader being a bad-ass.

All movies are subjective. There are no right or wrong opinions. These are just my opinion. Feel free to disagree if you want.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 07:07:24 PM »

I want to see an outtake of "drunk" K2 (after he'd dataspike downloaded the other K2) saying "we jumped out a window!", and cuddling something furry while calling it a "hairy baby".

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »

I think it is not overreacting. The Vader massacre is going down as one of the best moments in star wars history. Sith mode! That scene captured what we all envisioned about Vader. Might move him up a few notches in lists of greatest villains of all time. Damn that was brutal. I might have just took the blaster to myself instead of dealing with him. Those guys had to have pissed themselves.

Wasted item: Jyn's kyber Krystal. Sure, if was her mom's gift to her, but I thought it'd have better meaning, used for something. And forest Whitaker (Saw) reminded me, in stature, to that crazy dude from Mad Max Fury Road, even more so with the hair all frayed!

No points, just fist bumps baby!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »

I get the feeling Jyn's crystal was suppose to be for something, but it got cut.   That or is was to simply be her reminder to keep her trusting the Force and going on for the good of all rather than selfishly running off again.

I was hoping it might have been left behind on Yavin and given to Luke and thus be the crystal for his later green lightsaber since Luke did become Rogue Leader by the time of Hoth.  It would be fitting that the up coming Jedi who blew up the Death Star be the one to get the Erso's crystal and more or less the callsign of the mission to steal the plans for said weapon.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »

I was waiting for the crystal to be Chekhov's gun because that is how they set it up and all we get was her "praying" to it for 5 seconds at one point?  That was a big let down.

Also, really have to agree with Knox about the WTF TENTACLES??? scene.  I was like, "D-did the writers read some bad fanfiction or . . . .?"   And the opening was SUPER jarring, jumping around from planet to planet like that.  In fact, I could have done without about an hour of this movie and probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.  Not to mention, I just needed more Vader.  I was super annoyed that they teased us with the promise of several great Vader scenes and we didn't really get that.

I would probably go see it one more time just to watch Krennic continually screw up everything he touches.  It was really great to see someone who is put forth as a terrifying mastermind just turn out to be a floundering, epic fail. 

Lastly, I noticed some parallels between Krennic watching the destruction from his tower and General Hux watching Starkiller base be destroyed.  Coincidence?  I think not.  I appreciated that quite a bit.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »

It also shows that Tarkin was correct in taking over as the military commander of the Death Star.  Tarkin's only problem was that he didn't get the memo about just how large the breach was in terms of what the Rebels might have gotten and what danger they could be to the Death Star thanks to Erso's subterfuge.   While I am not sure he put in the thermal exhaust port as the weakness, but it seems it was the only way they could find to exploit the weakness in the station's reactor Erso designed.  I am thinking Erso thought they'd send in a raid or something to blow the reactor easily since it was so fragile.  If Obi-wan had known, he'd probably have done it himself with his lightsaber...or Force pushing Vader into it.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 10:45:09 PM »

It also shows that Tarkin was correct in taking over as the military commander of the Death Star.  Tarkin's only problem was that he didn't get the memo about just how large the breach was in terms of what the Rebels might have gotten and what danger they could be to the Death Star thanks to Erso's subterfuge.   While I am not sure he put in the thermal exhaust port as the weakness, but it seems it was the only way they could find to exploit the weakness in the station's reactor Erso designed.  I am thinking Erso thought they'd send in a raid or something to blow the reactor easily since it was so fragile.  If Obi-wan had known, he'd probably have done it himself with his lightsaber...or Force pushing Vader into it.

I'm not sure he knew about the sabotage that Erso had done. It was only revealed to Keen nichelle, and he got vaporized.

I agree with what has been said about the score, and I felt that way about halfway through my first viewing. It was also one of my biggest concerns going into the film, because how do you replace John Williams? It wasn't the worst score I've ever heard, but it wasn't up to what we've been treated with in the first 8 films. But, I also expected it to be less than normal for the aforementioned reason, so I'm not terribly disappointed.

The crawl - I'm on the fence with this one. I see the need for it with regards to new fans, as Knox mentioned, but this film isn't really for them. It's also not an "episode." It's a gap filler. So, do we give it the crawl and try to elevate it to episode status, or do we leave it out to make ithis movie seem like a minor player in the overall saga (which this movie absolutely is)?

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »

I'm sorry for the double post, but do we know the timing between R1 and ANH? Are we talking days, weeks, months, or years?

I just had a thought run through my head. The guy who lost his arm in the cantina in ANH has a cameo in R1, as I'm sure most of us noticed, but he's much younger. Again, just a thought.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 12:33:28 AM »

Judging by the ending...hours.

The encounter on Jedha was maybe a few days or weeks before we saw them again on Tatooine.  A few sunrises of travel between worlds and a few on Tatooine after A New Hope starts.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 01:00:12 AM »

Judging by the ending...hours.

The encounter on Jedha was maybe a few days or weeks before we saw them again on Tatooine.  A few sunrises of travel between worlds and a few on Tatooine after A New Hope starts.

That was my thought as well.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 01:39:58 AM »

Personally, while I appreciate some of the easter eggs and callouts to ANH, having Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan pop up like that seemed a bit too far over the line of "Hey, look at this Easter egg!" to me.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 05:07:09 AM »

What concerns me most is how everyone's cheering Rogue One's ending in the only way it could, but Terminator 3 was reviled... because it ended the only way it could.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:49 AM »

What concerns me most is how everyone's cheering Rogue One's ending in the only way it could, but Terminator 3 was reviled... because it ended the only way it could.

Rogue One ended the only way it could that leads to an all time classic that we all love. Terminator 3 is not the same league.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 06:01:01 AM »

Rogue One ended the only way it could that leads to an all time classic that we all love. Terminator 3 is not the same league.

If you say that The Terminator is not a classic film, then I will have to doubt anything you say from here on out. T3 ended in the exact way that it should. Allowing Judgement Day to happen so that the events of the first film can take place. It's the very definition of a predestination paradox.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: