Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Discussion Thread.  (Read 51399 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2016, 04:00:18 AM »

And that certainly is true, but at this point she is most certainly in a deficit with me that it will take something very impressive to dig out from.

Gonna be honest, I don't see the problems others seem to see in Rey...everything she could do easily has a reason....  But you may have inspired an idea for me DJ.  Look for a new post from me soon in the Star Wars section

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »

@Darth Justicar: I too avoided spoilers till I watched the movie, and shared the same shock at everyone getting killed. I am still not sure of how much I like it because of that. Jyn was awesome, and I am really starting to like Felicity Jones. I don't think I am happy with her death.

Gonna be honest, I don't see the problems others seem to see in Rey...everything she could do easily has a reason....  But you may have inspired an idea for me DJ.  Look for a new post from me soon in the Star Wars section

You share in my opinions, and I also already replied to your thread with my two very small, minor, insubstantial, and did I say small annoyances with her. Other than those, I loved her.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »

@Darth Justicar: I too avoided spoilers till I watched the movie, and shared the same shock at everyone getting killed. I am still not sure of how much I like it because of that. Jyn was awesome, and I am really starting to like Felicity Jones. I don't think I am happy with her death.

You share in my opinions, and I also already replied to your thread with my two very small, minor, insubstantial, and did I say small annoyances with her. Other than those, I loved her.

Thanks and that is the problem I have with these Anthology films.  There really was no way it could have ended without them all dying... if not then they would have to explain where they were in the OT.   That's also the issue with Rebels. 

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »

Thanks and that is the problem I have with these Anthology films.  There really was no way it could have ended without them all dying... if not then they would have to explain where they were in the OT.   That's also the issue with Rebels. 

But that also shows the might of the empire, the odds they were up against, and the sense of urgency the rebellion had. It also shows the strength of the characters we came to know and love from the OT.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »

putting things in perspective we could use the same points on the prequils too, we knew the Jedi were gone, Anakin turned to evil as Vader. regardless we watched the films and we liked and disliked a lot of it.
Rogue One is the same in that regard. we knew those characters had to die to explain why we don't see them again. still a great story, parts we loved and parts we didn't. a good story draws you in and makes you care for the characters....they did their job well.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

putting things in perspective we could use the same points on the prequils too, we knew the Jedi were gone, Anakin turned to evil as Vader. regardless we watched the films and we liked and disliked a lot of it.
Rogue One is the same in that regard. we knew those characters had to die to explain why we don't see them again. still a great story, parts we loved and parts we didn't. a good story draws you in and makes you care for the characters....they did their job well.

and I had the same issue with the Prequels.  the difference is we knew Anakin became Vader and the Jedi were gone...but not the finer details that were important.  With Rogue One...the details were not important..at least imo.  Some Rebels stole the plans and got them to Leia....said and done.  No real need to invent Jyn, her father and the others.  I really cared very little for any of the character to be honest.  The more I think on it, the more I think Rogue One would have been a much more interesting film if it was told from the Empires Perspective

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

and I had the same issue with the Prequels.  the difference is we knew Anakin became Vader and the Jedi were gone...but not the finer details that were important.  With Rogue One...the details were not important..at least imo.  Some Rebels stole the plans and got them to Leia....said and done.  No real need to invent Jyn, her father and the others.  I really cared very little for any of the character to be honest.  The more I think on it, the more I think Rogue One would have been a much more interesting film if it was told from the Empires Perspective

I tend to agree with you that this was a story that didn't need to be told, but I think there were some good finer points that RO gave us, and I am glad it was told.

• The DS flaw as a sabotage.
• The DS can travel through hyperspace.
• Kyber crystals were the source of the weapon's power, which explains why the empire locked down all the caves and other crystal supplies.
• We got other examples of non Jedi Force users.
• Vader really was who we thought he was - frightening.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »

I tend to agree with you that this was a story that didn't need to be told, but I think there were some good finer points that RO gave us, and I am glad it was told.

• The DS flaw as a sabotage.
• The DS can travel through hyperspace.
Kyber crystals were the source of the weapon's power, which explains why the empire locked down all the caves and other crystal supplies.
• We got other examples of non Jedi Force users.
• Vader really was who we thought he was - frightening.
I've been meaning to ask...

Does this mean the DC crystal "canon" has already been nullified if the Empire was capable of finding and weaponizing kyber crystals?  Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

I've been meaning to ask...

Does this mean the DC crystal "canon" has already been nullified if the Empire was capable of finding and weaponizing kyber crystals?  Undecided

I know Disney essentially rewrote the entire book about crystals, but I don't know what you mean about DC crystal canon, so I don't know. Can you explain?

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »

I know Disney essentially rewrote the entire book about crystals, but I don't know what you mean about DC crystal canon, so I don't know. Can you explain?
The whole BS bit that "only Jedi can sense kyber crystals and Sith have to steal them...blah, blah, blah."

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »

The whole BS bit that "only Jedi can sense kyber crystals and Sith have to steal them...blah, blah, blah."

Ah, so your use of DC means Disney Canon? I didn't know their canon stated that Sith had to steal them. I thought Sith could find them and had to "bleed" them to turn them red.

To be honest with you, this just helps prove what they did with crystals is one of the most confusing can of worms I've come across, and we've discussed this on different threads, but I'll say it again. They attempted to answer a few questions about crystal and blade colors, but they decided to rewrite the whole thing. In doing so, they created far more questions and issues then they resolved.

To answer your question, I don't know if their crystal canon has been nullified, because their crystal canon doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I don't understand it, because of all the questions I still have about it.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »

Ah, so your use of DC means Disney Canon? I didn't know their canon stated that Sith had to steal them. I thought Sith could find them and had to "bleed" them to turn them red.

To be honest with you, this just helps prove what they did with crystals is one of the most confusing can of worms I've come across, and we've discussed this on different threads, but I'll say it again. They attempted to answer a few questions about crystal and blade colors, but they decided to rewrite the whole thing. In doing so, they created far more questions and issues then they resolved.

To answer your question, I don't know if their crystal canon has been nullified, because their crystal canon doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I don't understand it, because of all the questions I still have about it.
Yeah. I refuse to call it "New" because half of it is crap, and the other half is recycled. XÞ

Thusly my hatred of it. It made infinitely more sense according to the OC. "Hey I found a green crystal, therefore my saber blade will be green." Done and done.

And I've already said my bit about the Sith having to do stupid shell to get a crystal to work.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

Funniest Rogue One review/critique ever
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyzs1MPMXB4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyzs1MPMXB4</a>

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »

In Rogue One we see the Empire is stealing kyber crystals from old Jedi and other Force related temples, and in Rebels we see the Empire is hunting for other Jedi temples as well once they follow the Rebels to the one on Lothal.  From the Ahsoka novel we know that the Empire has locked down and is likely strip mining Illum (which may eventually have become Starkiller Base).  In the novel Catalyst we are basically told the Empire took all the kyber crystals from the Jedi's lightsabers in the Jedi Temple and used them during the experimental stages of working out how to make the Superlaser.  We know from the Clone Wars and Rebels that rare huge kyber crystals can be found and are what the Death Star was originally designed to use.  We know there were experiments to make synthetic crystals for the Death Star but these seemed to have failed, or are just not up to the standards of real crystals for the Empire's purposes.  

So yes the Empire steals as many kyber crystals as they can find and strip mines worlds known to have such crystals in an effort to find more.  We don't know just how many kyber crystal weapon based projects the Empire really has going on.  Could be a few dozen for all we know, if they aren't just using them in all their turbo lasers and the like to make Imperial weapons superior to all the Rebel's old Clone Wars era knock off weapons.

As for the colors and such, I still think the idea of the Sith and Jedi using the Force to craft the crystal into their lightsaber is appropriate and basically what the old canon has going on anyway, even with the synthetic versions the Sith or Jedi used the Force in the crafting.   The Jedi use the Force to harmonize the crystal to themselves via the Will of the Force, so it comes out whatever color suits them.  The Sith dominate the Force to their will and order (as in arrange things into a specific pattern) the crystal into a specific powerful pattern which turns out to make the blades red every time.  The Jedi see this as unnatural and will attempt to "correct" this if they get their hands on these crystals by harmonizing with them if they make a new blade with them.   Remember many things in Star Wars are based on point of view and when it comes to kyber crystals, we only really see it from the Jedi's point of view.  It seems just slapping one into a lightsaber without at least checking it in the Force could result in the weapon's destruction and possible death of the user.  Even one that has be tuned might not be turned for your saber as every hilt is unique and handcrafted by the user so the power supply, diameter or the hilt, and all the other electronics and parts might not work with just any crystal without first at least checking to make sure the crystal doesn't just shoot the bland at a 170 degree angle from the power source and burn a hole in your hilt on activation.   We see the Giant rare crystal just blast powerful bolts in random directions when hit with blaster fire in the Clone Wars.  That it took the Empire 20 years or so to figure out how to get these crystals to fire as the Superlaser based on ancient Sith weaponry is impressive, especially since they had to use large and small crystals and tune it so it didn't blow itself up like one of the early prototypes did.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)