Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Have the digital recreations gone too far?  (Read 11819 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 04:00:42 AM »

Right.  It's a tribute to the man himself.  Disney/Lucas Film is saying, this man is Tarkin, we're not recasting him.  I think it's the better choice.

I agree 200%.

Which is pretty much why I'm so against the Han movie. Han is and forever will be Han Solo. Accept no substitutes.

I agree 20000000% percent times infinity.  I am ungodly annoyed about the thought of a Han Solo movie.  I honestly don't know why the won't do an Obi-Wan movie.  Ewan is the perfect age and he WANTS to do it!  Why do this Han Solo thing that the fans have so adamantly spoken out against in the first place?

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »

I think they're focused on the main OT characters. Almost non-canonizing the prequels. The best of the prequels is still from the prequels, which many are bashing. They may do an Obi Wan film. They'll likely do as much as they can, so long as there's money in it. But someone up top is pushing original trilogy feels. Even the comics and books are rallying around the OT times or hyping TFA.

Think nostalgia. That's all OT all day.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

Mostly because the last OT thing in the main stream was a very long time ago, so they need to get the audience back up to speed as they go forward into the sequels.

Ask me.

I know you don't, but the truth is there anyway.   Also I don't think they could quite make a CGI Harrison Ford at 27 or so as the main character of the movie, and Ford likely signed off on the idea of someone else doing Han Solo with enthusiasm.

If Rogue One does as well as expected I suspect they will attempt a Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor...if they don't get that story out of the way in Rebels.

But they could go anywhere by the time of that third Anthology film since it would come out after Episode IX.  Stuff going on around the era of the First Order.  What happened between RotJ and TFA.   Stuff from the PT...stuff from a long, long time before that...Old Republic era.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »

Which is pretty much why I'm so against the Han movie. Han is and forever will be Han Solo. Accept no substitutes.

This is one reason I want them to do more movies with unfamiliar characters.  Rogue One is certainly one of those.  Aside from some background characters, it mainly focuses on people we didn't know previously, so they can cast whoever they want.  When you do iconic characters that were brought to life in fantastic fashion, like Harrison Ford as Han Solo, it's just not the same.  I'm sure Alden Ehrenreich will do his best, but he still won't be Harrison Ford.  (I'm still going to see it, though)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »

I agree 20000000% percent times infinity.  I am ungodly annoyed about the thought of a Han Solo movie.  I honestly don't know why the won't do an Obi-Wan movie.  Ewan is the perfect age and he WANTS to do it!  Why do this Han Solo thing that the fans have so adamantly spoken out against in the first place?
My belief is that they are trying to cash in on what they perceive will sell to the newest batch of......(I'll go with) clueless noobs, versus what would actually make a good movie for the sake of the die hards. Plus, I think they are still trying to undo the infamous first shot, and make Han a "better" good guy. Good luck a-holes. He only shows his true colors, that he's not an upstanding character, all throughout the first movie as well as here and there through the rest of the OT.

I know you don't, but the truth is there anyway.   Also I don't think they could quite make a CGI Harrison Ford at 27 or so as the main character of the movie, and Ford likely signed off on the idea of someone else doing Han Solo with enthusiasm.

If Rogue One does as well as expected I suspect they will attempt a Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor...if they don't get that story out of the way in Rebels.

But they could go anywhere by the time of that third Anthology film since it would come out after Episode IX.  Stuff going on around the era of the First Order.  What happened between RotJ and TFA.   Stuff from the PT...stuff from a long, long time before that...Old Republic era.
Yeah.....no.

And as much as I would love to see a TOR era movie, I highly doubt they will resurrect it because then it would fill their current BS kyber canon full of holes.

This is one reason I want them to do more movies with unfamiliar characters.  Rogue One is certainly one of those.  Aside from some background characters, it mainly focuses on people we didn't know previously, so they can cast whoever they want.  When you do iconic characters that were brought to life in fantastic fashion, like Harrison Ford as Han Solo, it's just not the same.  I'm sure Alden Ehrenreich will do his best, but he still won't be Harrison Ford.  (I'm still going to see it, though)
Exactly. I understand that they are chomping at the bit to explore new areas and do new things, but you just can't take those kinds of licenses with hard established characters.

Kind of like how LA handled Vader in TFU. As annoying as it was, the playable character could not run or use Force speed, but it made sense.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »

And as much as I would love to see a TOR era movie, I highly doubt they will resurrect it because then it would fill their current BS kyber canon full of holes.

Riiiiight....because TOR revolves around finding crystals to slot into your lightsaber as a reward...I call that BS reasoning on that.
The only reasons they might not do it is because Bioware is still getting decent headway in storytelling and Lucasfilm might not want to step in there unless they can be sure they can come up with a reasonable story to tell that would make money, require a live action cast, and not confuse the general audience who would be trying to figure out where Rey, Finn, Luke, or Darth Vader are and why the ships look like the ones in the other films but the Empire isn't there.   If you thought Rogue One not having a crawl confused people only a year after TFA came out, imagine a film set a thousand or four years before Yavin coming out right after the end of the sequel trilogy without a crawl and little to absolutely no connection to any known characters in any of the previous 11 films at that point.  Talk about confusion.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »

The main reason for not exploring older eras, such as the TOR era is because they think they need to connect everything together for their audience to understand and like the film.  Remember, people in Hollywood think movie audiences are basically a collection of morons incapable of independent thought that require them to put things together for them.  And, in some cases, you can see where this thinking comes from.  Look at how movies with non straightforward, twisting plots are accepted by audiences in general.  People will write reviews on how hard the movie was to follow.  Meanwhile, people love movies with plots so simple a five year old could follow them.  Disney likely thinks if they do a Star Wars film that doesn't connect in some way to established characters and events in the well trod upon 60-ish year span of the existing movies, people won't see it as Star Wars and won't enjoy it.  Personally, I think they don't give moviegoers enough credit.  I'm willing to bet another era with new and well written characters would be well received.  But, we may never know as long as Hollywood keeps underestimating their audiences.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

Riiiiight....because TOR revolves around finding crystals to slot into your lightsaber as a reward...I call that BS reasoning on that.
The only reasons they might not do it is because Bioware is still getting decent headway in storytelling and Lucasfilm might not want to step in there unless they can be sure they can come up with a reasonable story to tell that would make money, require a live action cast, and not confuse the general audience who would be trying to figure out where Rey, Finn, Luke, or Darth Vader are and why the ships look like the ones in the other films but the Empire isn't there.   If you thought Rogue One not having a crawl confused people only a year after TFA came out, imagine a film set a thousand or four years before Yavin coming out right after the end of the sequel trilogy without a crawl and little to absolutely no connection to any known characters in any of the previous 11 films at that point.  Talk about confusion.
No....BS as in Disney doesn't like the "bad guys" to have any advantages, so Sith and other dark side affiliates cannot attain a crystal unless they steal one from a Jedi. Whatever.

If they are confused, all they need to do is find a SW nerd and have all their questions answered.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »

The ancient Sith superweapons were powered by Kyber crystals in the canon, thus they had access in the long past.  Having a crystal and dominating it does not change the ideal of the Sith Empire and the Old Republic.  It possibly strengths and reinforces the concept of the Sith being a force that likes to dominate, control, and wishes for an orderly regimented society.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »

The ancient Sith superweapons were powered by Kyber crystals in the canon, thus they had access in the long past.  Having a crystal and dominating it does not change the ideal of the Sith Empire and the Old Republic.  It possibly strengths and reinforces the concept of the Sith being a force that likes to dominate, control, and wishes for an orderly regimented society.
IT'S A DAMN ROCK. It shouldn't have much of an opinion.

Sig by For Tyeth

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 03:31:25 PM »

IT'S A DAMN ROCK. It shouldn't have much of an opinion.

This is, hands down, my favorite response to the new Disney "canon" regarding lightsaber crystals.  It's just a rock.  Amen to that, brother.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 03:43:50 PM »

This is, hands down, my favorite response to the new Disney "canon" regarding lightsaber crystals.  It's just a rock.  Amen to that, brother.
My only acquiescence to this spiel of bull is that if kyber crystals are distinctly LS and Jedi friendly, then the Sith should get lignan crystals, which have a natural red color, as referenced in Lost Tribe. (Excellent read BTW. Starts off slow, but steadily gets better.)

Sig by For Tyeth

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:00 AM »

Than maybe an Old Republic movie would show why the older crystal types ran out due to a combination of Jedi and Sith arrogance.  Leaving only Kyber crystals in any number in the galaxy.

As for the rocks having an opinion, I see it as more a mix of the Force doing its own thing and the Sith being more orderly than the Jedi in how a Sith sets up their crystals.  If all Sith are trained one after another via the Rule of Two than the way a Sith makes their saber should still be based directly on Darth Bane's ideas.  A crystal gets adjusted by the Sith via the force to maximize certain properies that applied to Bane, while the Jedi find this unnatural, it is the Sith way thus it could just be Jedi racism against the Sith.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »

Just saw it again. When Tarkin's face is still, it looks real. When he moves, it's not right. My family members could see plainly he was CGI, and they didn't even know him from ANH. They aren't die hard fans as much as me. Tarkin didn't make that kind of impression on them. So, they didn't know the actor passed away and had to be recreated, but they plainly saw this was CGI and found it jarring. I point this out just to keep such things in mind. Not everyone has the same feeling, nor is wrong for not feeling what someone else did.

Why recast Mon Mothma and not digitize? My sister thought it was the same actress with digital youth-isizing. I could tell it was not the same actress, demonstrating differing views again.

My brother in law still swears Vader's mask eyes are black in ANH. They are plainly red to me in every shot of Vader's mask in RO.

The white plastic ships stand out as well. Why no paint job?

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »

Than maybe an Old Republic movie would show why the older crystal types ran out due to a combination of Jedi and Sith arrogance.  Leaving only Kyber crystals in any number in the galaxy.

As for the rocks having an opinion, I see it as more a mix of the Force doing its own thing and the Sith being more orderly than the Jedi in how a Sith sets up their crystals.  If all Sith are trained one after another via the Rule of Two than the way a Sith makes their saber should still be based directly on Darth Bane's ideas.  A crystal gets adjusted by the Sith via the force to maximize certain properies that applied to Bane, while the Jedi find this unnatural, it is the Sith way thus it could just be Jedi racism against the Sith.

That's right. Trying to keep us down. Fight the power. (Then seize it.)

But not all Sith were trained under the Rule of Two. (And just because their story hasn't been retold under the DC doesn't make it not so.)

Why recast Mon Mothma and not digitize? My sister thought it was the same actress with digital youth-isizing. I could tell it was not the same actress, demonstrating differing views again.

They didn't. They used the same actress that played her in a deleted scene from ROTS.

My brother in law still swears Vader's mask eyes are black in ANH. They are plainly red to me in every shot of Vader's mask in RO.

They were, but it was a different era in film making, plus a low budget movie....so you don't get as many opportunities to see it. After my second viewing, I was not as impressed with Vader's helmet. The neck was too big and too flared. It looked cheap.

The white plastic ships stand out as well. Why no paint job?

IKR. I hated that. It's like "that's not SW." That was always something that I loved about the OT; ships were dirty and rugged. Not that sterile and streamlined crap that is so typical of the sci-fi genre.

Case in point:

<mike drop>

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: