Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Have the digital recreations gone too far?  (Read 11734 times)
Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 03:16:14 AM »

For me, the CGI was still in uncanny valley territory for Tarkin.  I think they should have either had him communicate by hologram (where the distortion would have masked the problem), or obscured the shot some in some other way.  The tech still can't fool me at this point and I would prefer it not happen.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »

But not all Sith were trained under the Rule of Two. (And just because their story hasn't been retold under the DC doesn't make it not so.)

We only know of the rules for kyber crystals for the Star Wars present, thus after Darth Bane.  What the Sith did before him is unclear and can follow whatever rules as long as kyber crystals are still used in giant Sith superweapons.

Another possibility is that due to the deaths of all but one Sith Lord, a lot of knowledge was lost to the Sith, and it took a thousand years to rebuild some of this or steal/find holocrons that have the knowledge needed for the likes of Palpatine to grow his Empire.

IKR. I hated that. It's like "that's not SW." That was always something that I loved about the OT; ships were dirty and rugged. Not that sterile and streamlined crap that is so typical of the sci-fi genre.

The Empire's ships were always sterile.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »

For me, the CGI was still in uncanny valley territory for Tarkin.  I think they should have either had him communicate by hologram (where the distortion would have masked the problem), or obscured the shot some in some other way.  The tech still can't fool me at this point and I would prefer it not happen.
Gareth Edwards said they knew they'd be making a bold move with that decision, but his effects team said they could make it work, so I guess while they didn't make it undetectable, it was still passable. However, a hologram does sound like a good idea. Maybe they could do that for Episode 9 to give them a way to tastefully and respectfully include Carrie Fisher in the scenes when needed.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »

I just had a thought . . . .

Didn't Carrie say that Lucas owns her likeness?  If that's true, then I think it's very likely that Disney will do some form of CGI for her in Episode 9.  It's really too early for me to even think about this, but I do think it's a possibility people need to prepare for. 

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »

That would be an example of why I started this topic. How far is too far? I expect Carrie Fisher's sudden passing will affect the story greatly, unless Leia died in the second one. I'm expecting Luke will. All original characters will be gone. I expect they will have to rewrite the third and do some CGI for Leia to the same degree as Tarkin in RO. But as to how this affects loved ones seeing such a thing and how respectful it really is, I'm unsure. In a way, CGI says, "We can't recast. She IS that character." But in another way, it says, "We don't need a real person to do it. We don't need her to do it." Used in films like this, the CGI that replaces actors is less them and more them than the alternatives. For the story, they've got to come up with something that puts Leia some place in it or explains her absence. In reality, we're going to feel her absence no matter what.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »

If the likeness is good, damn good, then to me it's a tribute to the person, IF that person is no longer alive. That's how I felt with Paul Walker in Furious 7. It honored him and the character he played.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 02:20:57 AM »

Part of me feels like I would be okay with CGI Leia because I can hear Carrie cracking jokes about it in my mind, talking about how it great it was that she didn't have to get a personal trainer just to prepare for Episode 9.  She said they made her lose weight for Episode 7 and joked that they wanted to hire her, just not ALL of her.  I always loved the way she talked about stuff like that.  I can hear her joking about all kinds things in regards to this, too.  Removing wrinkles, bulges, etc.  Totally her.

However, another part of me can't imagine someone else with Leia's face doing Leia's voice and that someone NOT being Carrie Fisher.  

I feel  like Disney can't appease everyone, though.  There are some that will be really upset if she's written off in a lukewarm, undeserving fashion because honestly, HOW do you write LEIA out of Star Wars and do it well??  However, if they use CGI Leia, there will be fans who will be upset by it also.  

We'll just have to see.  

Lady Mineva
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 76

I rarely act my age.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 02:58:41 AM »

Part of me feels like I would be okay with CGI Leia because I can hear Carrie cracking jokes about it in my mind, talking about how it great it was that she didn't have to get a personal trainer just to prepare for Episode 9.  She said they made her lose weight for Episode 7 and joked that they wanted to hire her, just not ALL of her.  I always loved the way she talked about stuff like that.  I can hear her joking about all kinds things in regards to this, too.  Removing wrinkles, bulges, etc.  Totally her.

I agree with you Noctis. Unfortunately, there is a small part of me that says some of those jokes would have included old people, exercise, and heart attacks. I want to smack that part of me.

Determination is my strength, patience is not always my virtue.
Initiate LE V4(SY) w/Sound "Chasm"

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »

I agree with you Noctis. Unfortunately, there is a small part of me that says some of those jokes would have included old people, exercise, and heart attacks. I want to smack that part of me.

I'm firmly convinced she wouldn't want us all boo-hooing over her and is probably haunting Harrison Ford now and then, saying this exact kind of thing.  Cheesy

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »

Another possibility is that due to the deaths of all but one Sith Lord, a lot of knowledge was lost to the Sith, and it took a thousand years to rebuild some of this or steal/find holocrons that have the knowledge needed for the likes of Palpatine to grow his Empire.

Just as the Jedi are able to acquire Sith artifacts, so are others. And with the intel network the Sith have set up in the galaxy, it isn't too hard for them to reestablish an archive of ancient texts. (For "idea" reference, I recommend reading Path of Destrustion)

The Empire's ships were always sterile.

But no less rugged, and were always battleship grey. NOT WHITE. Except the Lambda Class Shuttles. Roll Eyes But they were sexy so who cares?

If the likeness is good, damn good, then to me it's a tribute to the person, IF that person is no longer alive. That's how I felt with Paul Walker in Furious 7. It honored him and the character he played.

If that were the case, they should go back, undo the mistakes of my least favorite SW film, and rewrite Leia properly as a Jedi. Wink Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: