It surprised me to see R1 and ANH at the bottom and episodes 1-3 in the middle. It's actually refreshing to see a different point of view when so many, including myself, place ANH in the top three and Episodes 1-3 closer to the bottom. I'm curious why you chose that order if you don't mind sharing.
Not at all...Gladly. First let me say I hate none of the films..this is just the placement of my enjoyment. These will be quick and dirty.
1. ROTJ- My no.1 because we get to see Luke's final step to becoming a Jedi...from Farm Boy to Hero. It was grand from begging to end and the final Saber duel was chill inducing. Perhaps not as action packed as say Ep. 1 duel but the emotion and stakes made it very intense.
2. ESB- We get to see Vader throwing his weight around more as well as Luke's Journey (again, that is something I focus on). We get more exposure to the Force and introduced to Yoda.
3. TFA- the fact it felt so much like the OT wasn't a turn off for me...its what I wanted. None of the new directions of the story bother me like they do some and I like the idea that the Villian is on the same type of Journey as the Hero. Now doesn't mean I didn't have some issues with it but not any that would make me hate it.
4. ROTS- Again, the feel of the OT near the end puts it higher as well as the story interested me more than the rest of the Prequels. The Duel was disappointing though.
5. TPM- Middle spot for Maul only.
6. AOTC- Was really bored by this film..the only things that mattered were Anakin's Murder of the Raiders, his and Padme's love growing and The Clone Wars starting..all could have been handled in a more interesting way I felt. Really I would say watch TPM then the Clone Wars then ROTS.
7. R1- (SPOILERS) I have stated before I feel the Anthology films are a bit of a waste. Never have I wondered about the people who stole the plans. It was a plot point nothing more..making a whole movie about it and making new characters that are just going to die in the same film. It almost seemed it was made just to answer the constant jokes about the Exhaust port. Because now we know was sabotage. Now, as a film (other than the music) it was well put together and of course the scene of Vader Unleashed is worth seeing the film for.
8. ANH- And now the placement that confuses everyone when they hear it. ANH deserves a place in film and pop culture history, there is no argument there. It showed audiences something no one had seen and began a tidal wave that is still going to this day. BUT..I feel it is the weakest of the films. You can really tell the direction was a bit different than the rest of the films as well as the aesthetics. I understand why all this was but it still is a film I really have no need or desire to watch that much. I am willing to admit it may have to do with the fact I saw ESB and ROTJ first then saw ANH a few years afterwards.