Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Pikes, opinions and usabilaty  (Read 1394 times)
Tony89
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -18

Light or Dark Side points

« on: December 27, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »

Hi everyone, I love the sober staff and the pike. From the films I now how cool and usable normal sabers and saber staffs are but I have only seen pictures of the pikes and just wanted peoples opinion on the pike saber, is it usable in a dulling context and peoples general thoughts on them.

Wishlist: Bellicose Diamond V4

There is no Dark Side nor a Light Side, there is only the Force.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:44:35 AM »

Pikes are usable as a range weapon. However, a fairly common dueling technique is to grab your opponent's hilt and either control it or twist it out of their hand. With a pike, grabbing the hilt is much easier, if you can get inside of the blade. And, depending on the length and the grip used, the blade can be knocked out of the way fairly easily, as well. Just be prepared for those types of attacks.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Jedihunter214
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -101

Following The Path of Grey

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:23:44 AM »

I myself like the pike, it does make a great range saber, here is mine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvKdavKg5Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvKdavKg5Y</a>

OWNED:
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Silver
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Guardian Blue
Aeon LE v4 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Black x2
Aeon LE v3 Guardian Blue x2/w quick release coupler
Manticore w Emerald Sound & Light
Renegade LE Blazing Red

ON THE WAY:
Dark Initiate v2 Blazing Red
The Dominix v2 Blazing Red
Aeon LE v3 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Silver x2
Brood Guard Blazing Red x2
Phantasm LE v2 Guardian Blue
Sentinel LE v5 Guardian Blue

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »

I don't know if you will classify my saber as an extended staff or a pike, but I can use it either way.  I like the pike extension and I will very soon take some new photos of the Arbiter with the extension and see how that one feels.  Here is the Phantasm V4 with the Yari between the two Aeons. 

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Tony89
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -18

Light or Dark Side points

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies, some lovely looking sabers and some good points about usability to think about.

Wishlist: Bellicose Diamond V4

There is no Dark Side nor a Light Side, there is only the Force.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »

Pike is a very viable option, and incredibly fun!  I greatly enjoy using my pike extensions.  I've noticed some pros and cons, listed below.

Pros - HUGE reach and leverage advantage, particularly useful if you don't count hilt strikes

Cons - Leverage works both ways, so if your opponent grabs the hilt he has a lot of control over your weapon.  Also, if you DO count hilt strikes, you have a giant target in your hands.

Mostly the viability depends on how you regard the vulnerability of the pike itself.  I try to strike a balance and have a 3-hit rule (3 hits and the weapon is broken), to avoid giving the pike too much or too little advantage.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: