Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: In Defense of Rey Video  (Read 1917 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: December 29, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »

For the new year leading up to Episode 8 I have been inspired to make a video answering some of the criticisms about Rey.  Here's what I want from my Forum mates....give me your criticisms.  Simply write them in responses here.  To be clear..no discussions just clear sentences please and don't worry about posting the same thing as someone else..I will compile them.  I will let this thread go for ..hmmm  a month maybe.  Then make a video answering them.  Yes? No? Maybe?   

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »

I have only two very minor ones.

She did not hold the saber correctly, and stabbed too many times.

Other than that, I got nothing for Rey herself, just Daisy's acting at the beginning.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

I have only two very minor ones.

She did not hold the saber correctly, and stabbed too many times.

Other than that, I got nothing for Rey herself, just Daisy's acting at the beginning.

Thanks for the response.  I'm going to break my own rule and answer these here since like you said they are very Minor.  First time she ever held a Saber so of course she wouldn't hold it correctly (plus tbh it was a bit to big for her grip..why I hope to see her construct her own) and she did use a very thrust centrist style.  This can be explained by the fact she used a staff/spear weapon for so many years and thrusting using the full extension is a natural way to use said weapon.   Daisy's acting of course is something that will get better over time...I mean can we really say Mark hamill was oscar worthy in ANH Tongue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I'm going to break my own rule and answer these here since like you said they are very Minor.  First time she ever held a Saber so of course she wouldn't hold it correctly (plus tbh it was a bit to big for her grip..why I hope to see her construct her own) and she did use a very thrust centrist style.  This can be explained by the fact she used a staff/spear weapon for so many years and thrusting using the full extension is a natural way to use said weapon.   Daisy's acting of course is something that will get better over time...I mean can we really say Mark hamill was oscar worthy in ANH Tongue

Yeah, that's about how I feel about it too, and I realize that she had probably never used a sword style weapon before. It was just something I noticed.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »

Can't wait for ep 8. Gahhhh goddammit

Anyway o was talking about this with my bro, and although I do love reys character, he is annoyed that she got good so fast. There were barely any trials or tribulations before she was able to use the force to her benefit. She just gambled with the fact that "hey maybe I can get this storm trooper to let me free and drop his weapon." My brother likes to believe that it takes a lot more practice to learn this. Although I'm in somewhat agreement, I am trying to convince him that the folks at lucasfilm are trying to show the prodigal qualities of Rey, and my brother can't seem to want to agree that there will be a Jedi more powerful than Luke or Anakin. What's your stand on this?

I am very excited to see Luke train Rey, and of course Snoke train Kylo, sh*ts gonna go down in Ep 8!!!

However tbh, was not thrilled with Kylos performance as an actor, and believe he doesn't look weathered enough to be Sith, even though my brother argues that it's still his beginning stage and that baby face will soon turn to what I expect to see when Kylos mask comes off.. We'll see

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:56 AM »

She should NOT have had such intimate knowledge of the Falcon or piloting skills given that she was stranded in the desert most of her life.  She should NOT have learned how to use the Force so fast.  Also, I feel that we are asked as an audience to excuse the fact that she (IMO) takes MORE pleasure in messing with people's minds than Kylo Ren himself.  I feel that the writers were too afraid to let her suffer a defeat or make her work for her win; they made Kylo temporarily stupid by not having him cut her right down the instant she started that meditation mess.  And finally, I do not feel we saw sufficient evidence of the social or educational deficits and PTSD she should have had from her isolated existence in the desert fending for herself.

Basically I consider her an overpowered Mary Sue.

(As far as Kylo goes...I think the fact that he's still caught between light and dark is why his eyes never change color and why he still looks the way he does.)

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »

I never got the impression that Rey was any more powerful than the average youngling.  Sure she picks stuff up fast, but younglings can do all the stuff she does in the film.  What she does seem to be able to do that is different is mimic and learn abilities.  She sees something done, than tries to do it, and eventually she gets it to work.  She didn't attempt to Force push or hold Kylo even though he did it to her twice, but she managed to pull the lightsaber to herself...a small step that was copying what Kylo was trying to do.  Her saber style is unrefined and she spends most of the fight retreating and barely blocking.  Kylo senses her growing powers and decide, like many Sith, that she could be useful if trained in the Dark Side and take over his master (sort of what Dooku wanted to do with Obi-wan, Maul with both Savage and later Ezra, and Vader with Luke).

As for piloting skills, she did say she was a pilot, just she'd never left Jakku due to her waiting for her family.  She knew all about the modifications on the Falcon since Han lost it, and said she had disagreed with at least one of them, meaning she probably helped work on the ship for food or water, but never flew it since it hadn't flown in years by her account.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:57:29 AM »

She should NOT have had such intimate knowledge of the Falcon or piloting skills given that she was stranded in the desert most of her life.  She should NOT have learned how to use the Force so fast.  Also, I feel that we are asked as an audience to excuse the fact that she (IMO) takes MORE pleasure in messing with people's minds than Kylo Ren himself.  I feel that the writers were too afraid to let her suffer a defeat or make her work for her win; they made Kylo temporarily stupid by not having him cut her right down the instant she started that meditation mess.  And finally, I do not feel we saw sufficient evidence of the social or educational deficits and PTSD she should have had from her isolated existence in the desert fending for herself.

Basically I consider her an overpowered Mary Sue.

(As far as Kylo goes...I think the fact that he's still caught between light and dark is why his eyes never change color and why he still looks the way he does.)

I think you may not exactly have an unbiased opinion....

My complaint is her aversion to the force.  It wasn't that she didn't believe in it, it wasn't that she just didn't want it, it wasn't even that she was scared of it.  It went past all of those into an almost uncontrollable "run screaming the other way" phobia.  And then she was ok with it.

I posted elsewhere a long while ago my theory on why she was able to use the Force so well so quickly.  Basically, in simple terms, she has a very disciplined, ordered mind.  She's had to have ridge self control to survive on Jakku. She's had to learn to control her anger when she's being cheated out of salvage or food, she's had to learn to control her fear when searching derelict, may come crashing down any moment, star ships/vehicles for said salvage. She's been abandoned, so she's had to learn to live with no attachments. All the channels in her mind were alread set and ordered, all she had to do was let the force in.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: