Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Favorite Movies of 2016  (Read 2610 times)
LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« on: December 31, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »

Now that the year is (almost) over, it's time to share the movies we loved with each other!

This thread is open for everyone to list their favorite movies of the year. You can have any number and write whatever you want about them (or not write anything if you're not feeling it), it just has to be something that was released this year (movies that premiered in festivals in 2015 but got a wider release in 2016 can count as 2016 movies; the more options to choose from the better! Grin). You can also create special categories for movies you want to mention but aren't among your favorites, or go by genre/month/etc.

Discussion of other member's choices is absolutely encouraged! Every movie mentioned is an opportunity to get to know someone, so be inquisitive! Just don't be jerks to each other. Smiley

I'll start with mine. I'm doing a traditional top 10:

10. PETE'S DRAGON

9. BARRY

8. EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

7. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

6. LA LA LAND

5. THE FITS

4. 13TH

3. ARRIVAL

2. MOONLIGHT

1. THE VVITCH

Honorable Mentions: HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE, GREEN ROOM, KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS, THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN, THE INVITATION, A BIGGER SPLASH, SING STREET

Favorite Superhero Movie (it's my favorite genre; gotta give it some attention!): DOCTOR STRANGE

Best Superhero Movie (not my favorite but I can't deny its power): DEADPOOL

Biggest Surprise: 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

Deserves Some More Love: THE NICE GUYS

Guilty Pleasure: GODS OF EGYPT

What are yours?

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »

Lol, proof of how much I am not a movie buff but I barely know any of those Tongue

Rogue One of course is up there for me- I loved it. Absolutely loved it, really appeals to me. Also really enjoyed Doctor Strange and Civil War, and of course Deadpool Smiley Ryan Reynolds is great at the role, and it was something a bit different to your average superhero movie. Not normally something I'd really go for but I enjoyed it.

Yes, there's a bit of a theme there Tongue I like action/ sci fi, and I quite enjoy marvel movies and TV shows.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »

Captain America: Civil War. 'Nuff said.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:21:10 AM »

Umm... I didn't really watch that many movies in theaters from this year, or really any movies from this year, but I will try.

1. Doctor Strange. Beneduct Cumberbatch. Need I say more?

2. Rogue One. STAR WAR, Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkleson, Easter Eggs.

3. Captain America: Civil War. Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Hawk Eye, Black Widow, Spider-Man, Black Panther (may have already mentioned those last two, but hey, their worth mentioning twice. Or three times even, so here they are again). Spider-Man, Black Panther. (I think I'm done now).

4. Batman v. Superman. Wonder Woman (only Gal Gadot could do her like that), Batman (whom I don't like that much, but he was almost as good as he was in the animated series), and Henry Cavill's portrayal of Superman (who is IMO the perfect Superman, not quite the perfect Clark Kent, but almost).

I think those are the only movies I watched from this year. Doctor Strange, Rogue One and Captain America are really all about the same, I just put them in order of which I would like to watch again the soonest. Didn't have a chance to watch Pete's Dragon, Arrival or Fantastic Beast, but those would probably be in there as well.  

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »

Zootopia is my favorite movie I saw this year.  I even bought it when it came out, I never do that.  Kids movie or not, I enjoyed it the most out of my theater visits in 2016.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »

Damn, I forgot Zootopia was even released in 2016, I was thinking it was last year. (fortunately, I know how to look these things up Wink)

My favorite movie of the year: Deadpool.  Yep, the merc with the mouth.  I actually didn't know a lot about the character before seeing the film, but I thoroughly loved it.  There isn't a thing about that movie I didn't like.  And, since seeing the film, I've really gotten into Deadpool with the video game and the comics and I really like the character overall.

Other than that, I love Star Trek Beyond.  It's a great film and my favorite of the newer movies.  BvS: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition) is also a great film.  I'm glad I never saw the theatrical cut with what I read they did to it.  The Magnificent Seven is also a darn good film, just saw that the other day.  I also just watched X-Men: Apocalypse last night and it was good.  Not necessarily a favorite, but really enjoyable.  And, rounding out my favorites are Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (DTV, but still a 2016 release) and Suicide Squad.  I know that last one isn't a popular one, but I don't care.  I really enjoyed it.

Biggest disappointment of the year:  (I know you didn't ask but, again, I don't care)  Captain America: Civil War.  For all intents and purposes, a very similar plot to BvS, only not as well executed, in my opinion.  I felt the plot was paper thin, the fight was highly contrived and, for a Captain America film, there wasn't enough focus on the title character.  I'm just glad I only paid $10 for the Blu-Ray (Black Friday sale.)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »

So, even though I haven't seen EVERY new movie released this year, I have seen a lot. Here are my personal picks for best and worst releases of 2016

Top 10 (Best):
1- Arrival - A really intelligent sci-fi alien movie that stays with you and makes you think once the end credits roll.
2- Deadpool - The funniest comic book movie of the year.
3- Green Room - Captain Picard as a really evil bad guy! And he pulls it off so well
4- Captain America: CIvil War - The best comic book of the year. With Spiderman, Black Panther.
5- La La Land - A beautiful love letter to musicals and classic Hollywood
6- The Witch - A really atmospheric, spooky and beautifully shot horror film
7- Don't Breathe - A really suspenseful and intelligent "horror" movie
8- Hell or Highwater - A very under-rated but amazing character driven movie. Almost a modern western.
9- The Nice Guys - The best Shane Black written/directed movie since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
10- 10 Cloverfield Lane - Low key and claustrophobic horror drama with wonderful performances from the three cast members.

Honourable mentions:
Star Wars: Rogue One
The Hateful Eight - Tarantino does what Tarantino does.
The Jungle Book - An amazing technological achievement (the only thing that was real in the whole movie was Mowgli)
Dr Strange - Magic and psychedelia comes to the MCU, with one of the best casts assembled for a standalone movie.

Could have been better:
Jason Bourne - The return of Matt Damon to the franchise. And then they leave the best part of the trailer out of the movie. Not bad, but expected better.

Star Trek Beyond - The new rebooted franchise chugs along further in the Kelvin timeline. Bitter sweet due to the loss of both Leonard Nimoy and Anotn Yelchin. Better than Into Darkness though.

Top 5 (Worst):
1- Ghostbusters - They tried but failed. Spectacularly.
2- Batman vs Superman - They tried but failed. Spectacularly (although the Ultimate Edition improves the movie by about 15%)
3- Suicide Squad - The tried and failed (in so many areas apart from chemistry between the squad).
4- X-Men: Apocalypse - So much potential but ultimately missed the mark.
5- Warcraft - High hopes for a good video game movie adaptation. Ultimately uneven and disappointing

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »

Yep, I was very pleasantly surprised by Zootopia when I saw it on Netflix. And I did enjoy Star Trek Beyond as well.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »

1. BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE. (I cannot get enough of this movie. It's like a Reuben Sandwich, an acquired for sure, but one with many different layers of subtle flavor.)

2. HARDCORE HENRY. (I love video game, I love action movies, and my last name is Henry. I think that sums it up fairly well.  Cheesy)

3. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. (It may not have been released in 2016, but I can't not include it. Going to the screening with my wife was quite a special experience.)

4. EDDIE THE EAGLE. (A heartwarming story, topped with delightful performances from Jackman, and Egerton.)

5. GREEN ROOM. (Fantastic pacing, high tension, and top notch acting all around.)

6. YOGA HOSERS. (Part 2 of Kevin Smith's "True North Trilogy" Yoga hosers is not a horror in the way its predecessor "Tusk" was, instead opting for a more whimsical approach. I found this movie adorable.)

7. THE LEGEND OF TARZAN. (One of the best Tarzan films I've seen. Exploring Tarzan's life after the Jungle, and his reluctance to embrace it again in this beautifully shot adventure flick.)

8. SUICIDE SQUAD. (I really enjoyed watching this group of disparate personalities interact. I also enjoyed the fact that the story was self contained, with very few threads left dangling.)

9. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES. (I was quite surprised by how much I liked this movie. I think it may have to do with it being heavy with dialogue, but I thought it was immensely fun, and worthy of adding to my collection.)

10. DEADPOOL. (It was crude, it was over the top, it was everything that anyone could ever want from a Deadpool film.)

Honorable mentions (The movies listed below are only there because I had to narrow down the list above):

Star Trek Beyond.

The Brothers Grimsby.

Assassins Creed.

Like, Living Brain, Gods of Egypt is also a guilty pleasure for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:03:39 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »

Like, Living Brain, Gods of Egypt is also a guilty pleasure for me.

Where else will you see a movie with RA protecting a FLAT EARTH from a MILLION-TOOTHED SPACE WORM with GIANT BEAMS OF PLASMA?!?!?!?!?!?!  Grin

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 07:37:59 PM »

Where else will you see a movie with RA protecting a FLAT EARTH from a MILLION-TOOTHED SPACE WORM with GIANT BEAMS OF PLASMA?!?!?!?!?!?!  Grin

Nowhere. It's everything I'd ever wanted to see since I learned about the ancient civilizations in school.

Clash (and Wrath) of the Titans also scratch that god-itch for me.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:01:02 AM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 02:47:14 AM »

Lol, proof of how much I am not a movie buff but I barely know any of those Tongue

Rogue One of course is up there for me- I loved it. Absolutely loved it, really appeals to me. Also really enjoyed Doctor Strange and Civil War, and of course Deadpool Smiley Ryan Reynolds is great at the role, and it was something a bit different to your average superhero movie. Not normally something I'd really go for but I enjoyed it.

Yes, there's a bit of a theme there Tongue I like action/ sci fi, and I quite enjoy marvel movies and TV shows.

Now you have a bunch of recommendations to look out for.  Grin

Marvel is super consistent so I don't blame you there. Which Marvel TV show is your favorite?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »

I also forgot to mention Zootopia and Jungle Book. For an animated movie about talking animals, Zootopia was pretty good. Jungle book was just really cool, and it brings back memories of the Disney one.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »

I also forgot to mention Zootopia and Jungle Book. For an animated movie about talking animals, Zootopia was pretty good. Jungle book was just really cool, and it brings back memories of the Disney one.

THE JUNGLE BOOK is soooooo gorgeous, and has super great tonal control in how it implements the music. Jon Favreau is such a good director and we don't recognize him nearly enough.

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »

Here's my list.
1. Doctor Strange
2. Deadpool
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them
5. Rogue One
6. Suicide Squad
7. Star Trek Beyond
8. Batman vs Superman
9. Magnificent 7
10. Jason Bourne

Really wish I would have had time to see Arrival but I guess blu-ray will have to do.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: