Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: padwan needs advice  (Read 1831 times)
mace starkiller
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 17

Balance. power. knowledge. way of the Jedi

« on: January 02, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »

Hi, i'm new to the saber combat scene. as a life long star wars fan, when i found out about ultra sabers, i was very excited. i want to know whats the best saber to start out with. i do intend to use my saber as a display item. as well as for combat. please advise

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU...ALWAYS

Saber Arsenal:

Graflex SE with emerald green blade. obsidian v4
Dark Initiate with guardian blue blade. obsidian v4

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

Hi, i'm new to the saber combat scene. as a life long star wars fan, when i found out about ultra sabers, i was very excited. i want to know whats the best saber to start out with. i do intend to use my saber as a display item. as well as for combat. please advise

Well Mace,

Lets have a sit down drag out conversation. 

1. How much do you want to spend?
2. What options are you looking to get?
3. What sabers have caught your attention? 
4.  What sabers do not catch your fancy?
5.  Are you wanting to spin with the sabers or are you looking to duel, or are you just wanting eye candy?  Or do you want a combination of all three choices. 

Talk to us bro and let us help you out. 

MTFBWY

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »

Yeah, there's a lot in that quesrion, and KDP is asking some good follow up questions to help narrow it down a bit.

Other things to consider:

What type of combat are you doing? Asian inspired or European? One handed or two? How much combat experience do you already have with martial arts, weapons, etc. Things like that.

How big are you? Would a larger, beefier saber work best? Or would a shorter saber be better? This kind of goes hand in hand with the first question.

The good news is that all of the US line will be combat ready. Durability will not be an issue. So now it comes down to finding a good looking saber that fits both you and your combat needs.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

mace starkiller
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 17

Balance. power. knowledge. way of the Jedi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »

well, i've been on the ulta sabers site today. i'm considering the dark initiate with guardian blue. ultra midgrade 32 in. blade. i've never been involved with combat sword fighting before. as a combat veteran, i used rifles and pistols lol! been watching many youtube videos lately. i like the two handed style fighting. found a lightsaber academy here in indy as well. my price range for my 1st saber is under 300 dollars for now. any suggestions on which saber and combat style? thanks

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU...ALWAYS

Saber Arsenal:

Graflex SE with emerald green blade. obsidian v4
Dark Initiate with guardian blue blade. obsidian v4

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:31 AM »

The Indy lightsaber school is an established school, and they will start you off with Form I (Shii-Cho), which is a 2 handed fighting style. From there you will progress, after a certain amount of time and skill development to Form II  (Makashi), which is a one handed style reminiscent of fencing.

This is where I differ quite a bit from many of the forum members, I do not like using 2 hands on Initiate and Apprentice sabers, but I'm also on the larger side with large hands, and I just run out of room. Others use two hands just fine on those.

I really like my Manticore, Bellicose, and Sentinel v4 for dueling, and in that order. All three are good for both one hand and two. The Prophecy you has a great reputation for that as well. However, those are a bit pricier than Initiates, so you also have to factor that.

If the Initiates speak to you, then go for it, unless you think the size may be a bit too small.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:44:19 AM »

The Indy lightsaber school is an established school, and they will start you off with Form I (Shii-Cho), which is a 2 handed fighting style. From there you will progress, after a certain amount of time and skill development to Form II  (Makashi), which is a one handed style reminiscent of fencing.

This is where I differ quite a bit from many of the forum members, I do not like using 2 hands on Initiate and Apprentice sabers, but I'm also on the larger side with large hands, and I just run out of room. Others use two hands just fine on those.

I'm not on the larger size and I agree with Landen on the Initates and Apprentice being on the short side for two hands (it can certainly be done, I'm just not comfortable with it).  On the other hand, the hilt closest to my ideal length is the Arbiter, so....

My recomendations are the Dominx v3 or Sentinel v4, in that order. Both are excellent hilts, and you really cannot go wrong with either one.  I find the Dominix v3 to be a bit more comfortable than the Sentinel, mostly due to the slanted choke points, but both are really good.

For sparring, and general practice, I recommend a Heavy Grade blade.  It can take any punishment you give it, and the weight gives the saber good balance. I only buy Heavy Grade blades, but I tend to hit things rather hard too (sometimes even intentionally).  Ultra Edge or Standard is personal choice, I prefer standard. Blade length is also personal choice, I greatly prefer 36" blades on sabers (which is funny, since I usually prefer 28-30" blades on swords).

Combat style, start with Form I (Shii Cho) and work your way through the progression.  You'll quickly find what you're most comfortable with.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:15:12 AM »

Late to the party, but figured I would put in my two cents. If dueling is going to be your thing, and I mean you are actually going to do it, have people who will do it with you, and are going to put in the time to get the safety gear you will need, then I would suggest something more on the big side. For two hands, I would personally say to go for the arbiter. I would also say that if you are really going to get into it, don't get the sound, just do a stunt. Sound is nice at first, but it is extra expense, extra chance of breaking, and you won't notice it much when you are focusing on other things. Worse still it might be distracting. If however you like the idea of dueling but don't see yourself doing it much, go with something like an initiate as a first saber and keep a mid grade blade on it. They are light and fast and easy to move with. You can do lots of things with it for little risk and upgrade to something else when you settle in to doing whatever you will be doing. When that happens, you can use the initiate as a loaner or off hand saber.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: