Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RGB saber, with no card, possible?  (Read 1951 times)
Aziara
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 05, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »

So, I'm trying to get the most color possible, without sound. Having held other people's sabers with sound, I can honestly say that it makes my brain buzz. So no sound for me.
Budget is also a constraint; I don't have a lot of money to throw at this.
Without further ado, I'll show you a diagram of my idea. Please tell me if this would work at all.

I know the picture's nowhere near a expert diagram, but I hope it's legible. It's a RGB cree, with a 1k ohm linear potentiometer on each wire, followed by a resistor (6.8 ohm 7w for the red, 5.6 ohm 7w for the blue and green), all powered by a 9v battery. I'm using a 9v because that's the current battery holder I have, so it would be free. I know a rechargeable battery would probably have longer life, and I may upgrade in the future. right now I just want to make sure this would work. The switch is a latching switch.
Does this configuration 'split' the power, because I've figured on resistors for the full 9 volts. If the power is divided, I'll need to adjust the resistors.

If this works like I'm thinking, I'd get a full color range on the go with only a screwdriver.

Aziara
Force Sensitive

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:04:19 AM »

Bump.
I know my diagram is ugly, but I was really hoping for some feedback.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:43:45 AM »

Someone talked about a setup like this a while ago, but I can't find it on here so maybe I am remembering it from somewhere else. Will see if RevanReborn has your answer... hang tight.

Aziara
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »

Thanks for taking the time. There was a similar thread on the custom saber shop forums, but that one used a soundcard and lots of bells and whistles. A bit more complex than I'd like for not being very experienced with building sabers.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »

Thanks for taking the time. There was a similar thread on the custom saber shop forums, but that one used a soundcard and lots of bells and whistles. A bit more complex than I'd like for not being very experienced with building sabers.

Hey Aziara,

Just to remind you that we don't mention other saber shops on the forum here,  We refer to them as "the other guys".  Its part of the rules and we don't want to violate said rules.  We realize it happens from time to time, but please be aware of this for your future posts.

MTFBWY

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Aziara
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »

^whoops. I'm sorry Cry

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »

Hey, sorry, I missed this originally.

The wiring you're thinking of is legit- in parallel like that each of those diodes/ potentiometers will be getting the full 9V, ___mA of the power supply (not sure what current is on those), it won't be divided up, they'll each be getting the whole thing.

BUT, I need to check to see about a couple things to know if the whole set up works- like how much current the battery can safely put out etc.  I'll get back to you just have to check with some people. 

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »

Ok,  yeah, I was thinking we had this chat.... different power source, but everything else looked right.... wasnt about to confirm anything though without checking in with the Technomancer. Cheers Rev.

Aziara
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »

Hey, sorry, I missed this originally.

The wiring you're thinking of is legit- in parallel like that each of those diodes/ potentiometers will be getting the full 9V, ___mA of the power supply (not sure what current is on those), it won't be divided up, they'll each be getting the whole thing.

BUT, I need to check to see about a couple things to know if the whole set up works- like how much current the battery can safely put out etc.  I'll get back to you just have to check with some people. 
Thanks! I'm really thinking that a 9v isn't gonna be worth using. I understand the mAh are really really low. I'm probably going with a 3.7v 18650 li-ion instead. Which would also greatly shrink the resistors necessary.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: