Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DOOM anyone?  (Read 4478 times)
Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« on: January 05, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »

Been really enjoying the brutality of the modern rip n tear DOOM release. hard, fast, chaotic & fun.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »

I haven't actually played the game yet, but I do own the soundtrack. Probably the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard; so brutal.  Cool

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:08 PM »

Hey Cor... I haven't the slightest idea of what you are referring to but will look it up.  Is this an online game ?

Your description sounds exactly like my present life.  lol   Wink  Grin

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 01:54:30 AM »

Dang, I thought this was going to be about the original Doom.  I was prepared for that discussion.  Wink

I haven't played the new one.  I'd love to know how people like it.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »

I haven't actually played the game yet, but I do own the soundtrack. Probably the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard; so brutal.  Cool

Mick Gordon did a fantastic job on the soundtrack. very old school and true to the original... really gets the blood pumping! (might not be best idea to listen in the car... road rage anyone? lol)

Hey Cor... I haven't the slightest idea of what you are referring to but will look it up.  Is this an online game ?

Your description sounds exactly like my present life.  lol   Wink  Grin

You dont know DOOM? oh my dear lady, I am so sorry! Its not an online game as such, but there is an online multiplayer component to it. its a first person shooter, where you go up against the hordes of hell and battle to the bloody, gory death (preferably theirs, obviously). You get to run around Mars and Hell with a shotgun and chainsaw (among other weaons, like the BFG9000).

Dang, I thought this was going to be about the original Doom.  I was prepared for that discussion.  Wink

I haven't played the new one.  I'd love to know how people like it.

Heheh, I am always open to that discussion. DOOM was the first PC game I ever played, so its a long standing relationship.

Some people knock DOOM 2016, but to me it feels very true to its roots... much more so that DooM 3, which while an excellent game, was much more of a linear horror thriller shooter game than a true Rip n Tear fest. Its checkpoint based, so no saving whenever you want. when you see the "Checkpoint reached" splash up, it means you either just survived a brutal battle, or are just about to enter one. While you do have occasional encounters in corridors, etc, you have much more open area spawn fests with no rest, no chance to take in your surroundings, just utter mayhem until they die or you do.

It also has a secret old school level hidden in every level. find that, and get to play in original doom levels with the modern weapons and bad guys... nice touch I think!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:04 AM »

You dont know DOOM? oh my dear lady, I am so sorry! Its not an online game as such, but there is an online multiplayer component to it. its a first person shooter, where you go up against the hordes of hell and battle to the bloody, gory death (preferably theirs, obviously). You get to run around Mars and Hell with a shotgun and chainsaw (among other weaons, like the BFG9000).

Oh my... that sounds absolutely horrible !! ... so I'm in  Grin.  But I wonder if I could Tigger bounce my way out of gory death situations or... pulls out the death card... pleased to meet you... I'm Missy... but you can call me THE MASTER !! Wink

fade to the repeated cracks and flashes of an angry purple whip... tee hee   Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »

Movement is key... run, jump, bounce, whatever... just dont stop till the last one is a pile of blood & guts! Cheesy

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »

Heheh, I am always open to that discussion. DOOM was the first PC game I ever played, so its a long standing relationship.

Heh, I still have the red cartridge for the Super Nintendo.  It's fun, but the graphics are so low quality compared to the DOS version.  It's hard to even see the enemies at a distance because they blend into the background.  You only know something is shooting at you, so you shoot back in the general direction of where it's coming from and hope for the best.  Usually, if you have at least a shotgun, you can kill whatever his shooting at you that way, but the 9mm pistol is a different story.  I need to get the DOS one, I think it's available for the XBOX 360, in their Arcade store. 

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »

I picked up the BFG edition a while ago on Steam.. has the first three plus most of the expansions I think. pretty neat to be able to go old school without messing with DosBox or any of that, and its amusing how used to mouselook you get, then end up frustrated in Doom 1 & 2 because you dont have it. Aiming? whats that? lol
Heck, people have even ported doom to phones now... hardly surprising when your modern smartphone has 5x the power of the systems Doom was designed to run on!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »

If I had Windows on my computers, I would already have Doom, Doom II and Final Doom.  Unfortunately, there's no Linux port for them, even though DOSBox runs Linux native and there are plenty of other DOS games for Linux.  For some reason, they're Windows only, on both Steam and GOG.  Roll Eyes

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »

Seriously? thats very odd! As big of a fanbase as the original Doom still has, it amazes me they would miss out like that. Give me a little time I Know from one of the groups I am in there are Linux ports out there in the mainstream. Maybe GZDoom...

Found it...

http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 02:13:01 AM »

Yeah, there are a few free Linux Doom versions I've seen out there, but they require the Doom WAD files to work properly.  I'm not really sure how to get those out of the GOG version, as it would be a single .exe file, and the Steam version won't install on anything but Windows.  But, thanks, I appreciate your research on my behalf.  Smiley

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:18:10 AM »

I believe you would just need to unpack the .exe file to find the WADs. something like 7zip, RAR, along those lines (my Linux knowledge sucks big time... sorry)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »

Hm, I could also just try installing the program with WINE and see if I can just run the game .exe from DosBox.  I've done that before.  I used to only have Star Wars: Dark Forces on Steam, so I had to actually install the Windows version, then I just copied the files from there and manually ran it in DosBox.  However, once GOG got the game up with a Linux version, I bought it again on there.

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »

I am a huge DOOM player (well as much as I have time for). I love the new Arcade mode. I am always looking for folks to play with or against.. my Steam ID is    jay_ryan .... Feel free to add me!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: